ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in a CVS Pharmacy last week and while waiting for my meds a armored truck driver also stood waiting to make a pickup. We got to talking (actually I started it) I asked if he lugs around a lot of half dollar boxes and the answer was yes. I asked if he knew why there were so many boxes requested by banks, again a yes. He told me all his boxes have rubber stamped on top "contains no silver"

There are only about 4-5 banks in my county.

If I were you, I would never believe the "contains no silver" story without first hand confirmation. Whether it is a story that there is no silver for whatever reason or even just a story that the boxes are marked as not having silver. Either is probably fantasy.

We had some screwballs on here once claim that Loomis was stamping half dollar boxes with some variant of "contains no silver" messages. When asked for a pic, they uploaded a poorly done photoshop of a half box with digital text on the image. They had some idiotic idea that people would stop CRH'ing because of their lies and that would give them better odds. It's possible that this driver thinks that telling you this kind of story will make you stop getting boxes of halves and thereby make his route less coin-intensive. That level of infantile logic cracks me up.

OP
OP
J

Jyorsky

Sep 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO
AT GOLD
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started this thread earlier, and I am not the “expert”, in the group, an I mean that in the most respectful way. Thanks, for the back and forth conversation and give and take. Looks like combination of supply and demand, and technology. I do think, that in the larger major metropolitan areas, where you have 20-40 banks within city limits, chances are better for more turn over. I have moved to smaller town, where only 4-5 banks in 15-20 mile area so slim pickings at best...cheers to all...

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started this thread earlier, and I am not the “expert”, in the group, an I mean that in the most respectful way. Thanks, for the back and forth conversation and give and take. Looks like combination of supply and demand, and technology. I do think, that in the larger major metropolitan areas, where you have 20-40 banks within city limits, chances are better for more turn over. I have moved to smaller town, where only 4-5 banks in 15-20 mile area so slim pickings at best...cheers to all...

I tend to agree with you. I'm also in a rural area and we don't even have towns, just place names. I've learned there is much more competition that I once thought - especially with half dollars. And in my area, those dumped CRH halves are picked up by Dunbar. There is a Brinks-Dunbar connection and Brinks now delivers square boxes to my local pickup bank with halves in Dunbar wrappers. I don't know if these Dunbar rolls are from another sorting center, but the rolls are wrapped and crimped tighter than the old Brinks rolls. They are also awful. I have only found 4 40% in the last 37 boxes and no 90%. So I believe, with very little evidence, that the dumped CRH halves being picked up are swamping any new silver collection dumps. So I have reduced my order from 2 boxes/week to 1 and may eliminate it altogether because I also get 1 Loomis box from another bank. It is further away but I justify the trip by stopping at my favorite grocery store across the street (which also gives a senior discount on the same day as my pickup).

Some of us piggy-backed our 2019 results in Tommybuckets thread "2019 - a year for the record books". You would find the comments there interesting.
While I found 393 silver halves from boxes in 2019, plus 16 loose 40%ers from a teller, I also had 101 skunk boxes. Of the 153 boxes examined, 6 produced 215, or 54.7% of my 2019 silver. In my area, Loomis boxes are good. Its all a function of sorting centers IMO; there was someone here who posted a dream box in the last few months - and the greatest surprise to me was that it was a box of Dunbar rolls.

I think there is a way to statistically test the theory of possible sorting center sniping. A comparison of the results from bags and boxes in the same area would be easy. A large difference in favor of the bags would suggest that something could be going on between the time the bag is picked up and the time boxes are delivered to a facility. I don't think the better bag results prove sniping at all - but such evidence could suggest something going on after bag pickup.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jyorsky

Sep 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO
AT GOLD
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But just when you have lost all hope.....I have not received any......repeat any keepers in 3 years from LOOMIS, in the central part of our state and low and behold, I pick up a box today and guess what is winking back at me????????

Attachments

• 092CBE40-2E3D-491E-8FA1-3C47EDA85A5F.jpeg
    092CBE40-2E3D-491E-8FA1-3C47EDA85A5F.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 106

Johnny5

Feb 19, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelabs CTX 3030, Excalibur and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My pick up bank is switching back to the single layer oblong boxes for half dollars. For about a year they were using the double decker square boxes. When they first started the double decker boxes I was getting loose foreign coins and tokens , about one in a box. Haven't got any loose ones lately, and won't get any with the single layer boxes. I'm not sure who the carrier is but I believe it's Brinks. Lastly I'm on a dry spell with all chunks.

OP
OP
J

Jyorsky

Sep 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO
AT GOLD
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry picture not to sharp,.....yes the reverse bottom right hand corner of picture is silver. Have not cracked open box yet.....

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I kind of thought so, I haven't had an ender in forever

I hadn't either - but got one (in a Loomis box) thursday night. A 1969 and the only silver half in the box. I haven't seen a 90%er since November.

I reduced my standing order at the bank where I get Brinks boxes from 2 to 1 box of halves and have gone over to the dark side - yes, quarters (1 box). And I have started a new standing order from a different bank that gets coins from Loomis. They limit me to 1 box per week, but I am happy to get it.

OP
OP
J

Jyorsky

Sep 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO
AT GOLD
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Follow up

Dream box on this loomis including 1995 s deep cameo clad VG
AND ALL 1964 See picture

Attachments

• 68F64DE8-3626-4B65-8B06-001EBF824007.jpeg
    68F64DE8-3626-4B65-8B06-001EBF824007.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 118

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
my first Loomis box today was a skunk, 2nd was better
1 1963 Franklin, 3 1964 Kennedy's and a 1969 40%

at least Loomis in our area isn't snipping

hICvoUdh.jpg

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's possible that this driver thinks that telling you this kind of story will make you stop getting boxes of halves and thereby make his route less coin-intensive.
If that is true he was a very good liar. We were just having a casual conversation. No need to make up a story. besides it was late in the evening, all bank had been closed for some time. I think he just picks up at stores.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in a CVS Pharmacy last week and while waiting for my meds a armored truck driver also stood waiting to make a pickup. We got to talking (actually I started it) I asked if he lugs around a lot of half dollar boxes and the answer was yes. I asked if he knew why there were so many boxes requested by banks, again a yes. He told me all his boxes have rubber stamped on top "contains no silver"

There are only about 4-5 banks in my county.

If I were you, I would never believe the "contains no silver" story without first hand confirmation. Whether it is a story that there is no silver for whatever reason or even just a story that the boxes are marked as not having silver. Either is probably fantasy.

We had some screwballs on here once claim that Loomis was stamping half dollar boxes with some variant of "contains no silver" messages. When asked for a pic, they uploaded a poorly done photoshop of a half box with digital text on the image. They had some idiotic idea that people would stop CRH'ing because of their lies and that would give them better odds. It's possible that this driver thinks that telling you this kind of story will make you stop getting boxes of halves and thereby make his route less coin-intensive. That level of infantile logic cracks me up.

If that is true he was a very good liar. We were just having a casual conversation. No need to make up a story. besides it was late in the evening, all bank had been closed for some time. I think he just picks up at stores.

He's probably a CRH'er. They've been known to do stupid things and tell far fetched lies to try to further their hobby.

Seems odd that he'd be touching any half boxes if he's just serving businesses ("...asked if he lugs around a lot of half dollar boxes and the answer was yes ... he just picks up at stores..."). I'd ignore everything this clown said. There's been some super finds reported lately from Loomis boxes. If anything, it seems like Loomis boxes are richer in silver than any other.

srcdco

Dec 11, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox-800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It depends on your area. I know they don't pull silver, but in my area Loomis gets all the change from Coinstar. That means that all that silver that's rejected by the Coinstar machines doesn't make it into the boxes. I can tell when I get those boxes because they are 100% US clad. I get excited when I find a Canadian dime or quarter because I know it's not a box from a Coinstar machine and their might be (and usually is) silver in the box as well. I don't worry much about the nickels and cents because Coinstar seems to accept most of them.
I found out about that from the Coinstar technician that I met one day at Wal-Mart. He was replacing the motor that turns the sorting drum inside the machine. He told me that Coinstar contracts with different coin carriers in different parts of the country and it happens that the Rochester, NY area is Loomis.

Scott

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread