Loomis
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Loomis

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Sep 2012
    MXT PRO AT GOLD ACE 250
    221 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Loomis

I live in small town with only about 6 banks within 40-50 miles or so. loomis is the go company for MR. HALVES. Been almost 2 years and zippo nada. Now I do not get the numbers everybody else gets, but I do get $500 now and and then, or $200-300. Still, skunks all the way around. Is loomis cherry picking?
    Hobbs., A2coins and Johncoho like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2008
    St. Augustine, FL
    1803 times
    This gets brought up from time to time as a theory to explain the decreased finds. Someone will always chime in that they know someone who knows someone to lend credibility to the theory. But there is no proof to support the claim. If they used a discriminator on their machines to cull the silver, then they need to re-calibrate the device as there are plenty that still find silver.

Instead of trying to lend credence to a conspiracy theory of corporate culling, one just needs to find a simpler theory to the reason for decreased finds. CRH'ing is no secret. There are more hunters and an ever decreasing supply of silver in the system. The only way for the silver to find it's way into circulation is from the private sector. There is no magical stockpile that the Treasury is trickling out to distribution channels.
    A2coins, Hobbs. and weighit like this.

us
    Oct 2011
    422 times
    Coin Roll Hunting
    The only pickups that I do now are buying bags off of the machine from one credit union (obviously a very small sample size).

I find silver every single week, I average between 5-8 silver dimes per bag, and I only have been able to get one bag of halves thus far, but it was a solid score, I think 22 total keepers if I remember correctly.

People are out there dumping silver coins into circulation every day, so even if the coin handling companies are doing something like you guys are talking about, which I agree with Diver that they probably are not, individuals are still putting silver coins back into the money supply.
    Hobbs. likes this.

us
    Oct 2009
    Massachusetts
    Deus XP
    226 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Jyorsky View Post
    I live in small town with only about 6 banks within 40-50 miles or so. loomis is the go company for MR. HALVES. Been almost 2 years and zippo nada. Now I do not get the numbers everybody else gets, but I do get $500 now and and then, or $200-300. Still, skunks all the way around. Is loomis cherry picking?
    I get one box of halves each week from Loomis.

I get my share of skunk boxes like everyone else on this forum, but I've got 3 boxes this year with double digit silver.
    Hobbs., Megalodon and A2coins like this.

us
    ebay "ulster-relic"

Dec 2012
    port ewen ny
    AT-PRO
    7432 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    I need skunk repellent for halves...... the neighbors are complaining
    Hobbs. and Megalodon like this.

us
    May 2018
    A state of Resistance
    White's MXT Tesoro Cibola Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
    3464 times
    Loomis, Brinks, Garda, Dunbar etc. all use their own regional sorting centers. I think it is possible that sorting center staff could possibly snipe silver. I've wondered if my good boxes coincide with a sniper out sick or on vacation and a backup or substitute sorting center employee filling in for him/her and not knowing to snipe silver. But that's just pure conjecture.

Is it possible that you might be buying another CRHer's dumped halves? A teller once told me "Oh we have plenty of halves; one of our customers goes through them looking for silver and then re-rolls and brings in his rejects." I've had other tellers tell me "oh, you don't want these...".
    Last edited by Megalodon; Nov 02, 2019 at 02:47 PM.
    Dozer D, Hobbs. and Sleepy Holow like this.

Sep 2012
    MXT PRO AT GOLD ACE 250
    221 times
    I guess the law of diminishing returns, ha
    Hobbs. likes this.

us
    Feb 2013
    Expanding Operations
    Never used one, but am interested
    840 times
    CRHing
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    Loomis, Brinks, Garda, Dunbar etc. all use their own regional sorting centers. I think it is possible that sorting center staff could possibly snipe silver.
    This! I don't think couriers matter, but sorting centers do. There was a guy that used to post on here a few years ago that was employed by a sorting center in New York, although I don't recall his name. He said they didn't pull silver at his site, but his manager told him that for sure other sites within the same company did. To me, the difference in sorting centers explains why a certain type of box in my area (that's carried by both brinks and garda) are skunky. I usually push for the brinks supplied banks because they only occasionally get this type of box, whereas the garda banks seem to use this particular sorting center as their sole supplier. Truly what I think for my area is that the machines at the sorting center in question are more finely tuned as I find far less foreign coins as well. "You asked for 2500 dimes that weigh 2.25 grams? That's what we're gonna give you!"
    Megalodon, A2coins and Hobbs. like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    37828 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    I would think if I worked for Loomis I'd keep my eye out for enders
    Hobbs. likes this.

Approved TreasureNet Stickers

.:: $2.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::. I have 185 left PM me if you would like to buy any Tommy

(Free Shipping)

SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

us
    Feb 2008
    Great Lakes State
    dirtfishing
    2912 times
    silver surfing
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    We’re certain that NF String and son sorts, they sell coin rolling machines and wrappers. They have an ePay store in which they sell copper, silver and antique coins.
    Hobbs. likes this.

Dec 2017
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fistfulladirt View Post
    We’re certain that NF String and son sorts, they sell coin rolling machines and wrappers. They have an ePay store in which they sell copper, silver and antique coins.
    Do you happen to have the username of said feebay seller?
    Hobbs. likes this.

Aug 2016
    1290 times
    When I saw the word Loomis I thought the thread was going to be about a high end fishing rod
    Megalodon and Hobbs. like this.

Dec 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    Garrett Ace 250
    187 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jyorsky View Post
    While there is a chance it is the sorting center sniping silver, the more likely scenario is that you have one or more people in your area that search halves heavily (or at least dump halves into your district when done searching) and you are getting their dumps. If you are dumping back in your own area, you could also be receiving some of your own dumps back.

I am not an advocate of marking coins to see if you get your coins back, so what I recommend is that you pull all of a certain lower mintage common date (or dates) before dumping and if you start getting boxes without any of those dates in them, you'll know you are getting your own coins back. For the common coins pulled, either spend them or save up a bunch and cash them all in at once.

I have seen some on here talk about 50 box skunk streaks. Ultimately, you'll have to decide if what you are doing is worth the effort or not. Just because it works in some areas of the country doesn't mean it will work in all areas as some areas have been more heavily searched than others.
    Hobbs. and Megalodon like this.

us
    Feb 2008
    Great Lakes State
    dirtfishing
    2912 times
    silver surfing
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by WeirderBeatle7 View Post
    Do you happen to have the username of said feebay seller?
    Sorry, I’ve posted it several times and don’t remember off hand. It’s out there.
    Hobbs. likes this.

us
    Aug 2012
    Massachusetts
    Whites, Garrett
    1097 times
    Gold Panning, Metal detecting, beach combing, shooting, photography, genealogy, gardening
    I get silver from Loomis, right now in a sort of dry streak but the bags I have gotten direct off the counting machines are also dry, so around here no one is dumping that I can see, but it will change
    Megalodon and Hobbs. like this.
    Ferengi Rules of Acquisition

#59 "Free advice is seldom cheap"

#92 "Never confuse wisdom with luck"

2019 Totals: Halves: 12 40% 4 90%, Dimes: 23, Quarters: 0

2019 GOAL: 300 silver Currently 45/300

Boxes searched: Halves boxes 12, bags 0, CWR 0, loose 0 : Dimes boxes 0, bags 1, BWR 0, CWR 0 : Quarters boxes 1, bags 2, CWR 0

MILES Driven 225

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links