1974-D DDO!

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Historically I haven't search for the 1974-D DDO half dollar. For some reason a couple months ago I got the idea that I should try to find one. Basically every box I go through I'll put aside any high-grade 1974-D's (keep in mind that I edge check for the most part) and will check them afterwards. Well yesterday I finally captured one. It's a cool find, in really good condition but the dies are pretty worn. Still happy with it. I also completed my CRH Jefferson set today (different thread) and found a 1915-D lincoln in ~VG-8 today, which was awesome as well. Enjoy.

Attachments

• IMG_4695.JPG
    IMG_4695.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 117
Upvote 0

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats Twitch!

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Nice save. With silver finds decreasing, hunters would be wise to avail themselves of the opportunity while they have access to such volume. A hunter doesn't need to check each an every coin. Even the edge searchers can set aside the bright copper rims to look at later. Have a short list of what interests you whether it is DDO/DDR coins, No FG coins, etc. Check the high grade coins that fit your short list and it won't be an additional time constraint.

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice save. With silver finds decreasing, hunters would be wise to avail themselves of the opportunity while they have access to such volume. A hunter doesn't need to check each an every coin. Even the edge searchers can set aside the bright copper rims to look at later. Have a short list of what interests you whether it is DDO/DDR coins, No FG coins, etc. Check the high grade coins that fit your short list and it won't be an additional time constraint.
I agree with Diver! After a couple of years of checking every date and mintmark, I now edge check for silver and bright rims. And if I look at a rim, I will check the adjacent coins as well. Somehow, I still manage to find a lot of 1974-D DDO, the occasional 1987-P&D, and clad proofs. Finding these “bonus” coins can take the sting out of a skunk box!

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find Twitch:icon_thumleft: I would be happy with that one

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Diver! After a couple of years of checking every date and mintmark, I now edge check for silver and bright rims. And if I look at a rim, I will check the adjacent coins as well. Somehow, I still manage to find a lot of 1974-D DDO, the occasional 1987-P&D, and clad proofs. Finding these “bonus” coins can take the sting out of a skunk box!

Congrats OP!

I have no clue how many 74D DDO's I have...probably in the hundreds. If anyone finds an efficient way to sell them at a decent premium...let me know. I have no desire to list them individually on feebay.

OO

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice job, congrats! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions