100th W Quarter

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found my 100th Westy last night.

For the most part, itā€™s been a slow but steady grind of about 1 W per box on average. A lot of skunk boxes, a few good boxes and some with 2 or 3. I had a few nice scores ... a nice box of solid American Memorials that yielded 8 the day before yesterday. I had another one a month or so ago that yielded about 9 American Memorials, and a solid San Antonio box that gave up 12 or so the same day as the 9er.

My totals so far...

Lowells: 27
American Memorials: 50
War in the Pacific: 2
San Antonio Missions: 21
River of No Return: 0

Kinda surprised I havenā€™t seen more ā€œWarsā€. Looking at PCGSā€™s population report, theyā€™ve graded more Wars than all the other West Point types except the Lowells. I guess they didnā€™t ship many to Vegas.

Havenā€™t been too impressed with the quality of the W coins so far. Of the 100 Iā€™ve found I only kept one so far that I really liked the look of. Itā€™s an American Memorial that I think would probably grade 66+. The rest Iā€™ve seen are probably in the 63-65 range, and a few that already have some friction & would come back AU.

Has anyone else been finding many?
Good luck everyone & happy hunting!
BB

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found maybe 20 all told. I have gone through 22K in quarters. My searching has been very sporadic. I have not been able to get full boxes of 2019's here. The first one was in change at the local convenience store.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
9-WIP & 19-RONT dubyah's :happysmiley:, only ONE SATx--- a stinkin' P :BangHead::BangHead::dontknow:

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
$39,000 in quarters searched so far. Boxes from Wells, Chase and BoA. All on trips while driving so no real time wasted, and it keeps me from getting bored. Otherwise, I would have given up by now.

$39,000 and ZERO total W's found. one silver. 1964D.

So congrats on your finds. That's where all the W's from D are going. To Vegas. Not Phoenix.

Rosco53

Mar 17, 2018
Bryant, WI
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV (hobby lobby 40% off ;-) )
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats, those are GREAT numbers! Jealous, I haven't even found 1 War in the Pacific quarter yet, let alone a W. $8,500 and no W's yet, but pulled figure the 6 silvers makes up for it.

OP
OP
baddbluff

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found about 650-700 bicentennial quarters too. They are a little harder to unload - almost like trying to sell copper pennies.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Ive found zero I just wanted 1 of each for the life of me cant find any I have 100 of the p mint mark ones.rrrrrhhh Well good job on those I know youve put the work in.. Theres a couple out there for me somewhere lol Well done

Sleepy Holow

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Expanding Operations
Detector(s) used
Never used one, but am interested
Primary Interest:
Other
For me, 1 War found with a 2019 quarter volume of $643.50

Thanks for sharing your stats and thoughts on the series thus far. Congratulations on the 100 W milestone!

OP
OP
baddbluff

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they suck..... almost as much as the hundreds in every box of halves:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

ā€˜76 quarters are a little tougher than ā€˜76 halves (super common). Seems like every other half in a box is a bicent.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread