Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First time I've ever seen this in MWR sealed boxes. Picked up 2 boxes today. After searching a few rolls from the first box, I got a roll with 19 coins, but normal looking crimps. A few rolls later, a roll had 21. Out of 50 rolls, 2 were short 1 coin, 4 were long with 21 coins and the rest were normal 20 coin rolls. So I was ahead by $1. The box gave up one 1966.

Upon opening the second box, it was obvious that more rolls were either over or under 20 coins. Its hard to photograph but so far, I've got 4 rolls with 21 and 4 with 19 coins, picking from the extreme looking rolls. This box has a high % of overs and unders. Yesterday when I had two skunk boxes, I was thinking how consistent the rolls have always been. Until today, I've not had one roll that was not right on the money (pun not entirely intended). Has anybody else seen this?

IMG_1493.jpg

Upvote 0

Sparklejwa

Dec 14, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
(Reposting my comment I apologize if it’s a duplicate)No I hadn’t noticed but I’m gonna watch out for that! What I have noticed is that the silver is disappearing. I think the mints are somehow removing the silver pieces. I used to average 1-2 silvers every hundred dollars searched. The last three hundred dollars of halves, have produced no silver. ��

OP
OP
Megalodon

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
(Reposting my comment I apologize if it’s a duplicate)No I hadn’t noticed but I’m gonna watch out for that! What I have noticed is that the silver is disappearing. I think the mints are somehow removing the silver pieces. I used to average 1-2 silvers every hundred dollars searched. The last three hundred dollars of halves, have produced no silver. ��

Welcome to tnet and thanks for posting! Yes, it is common to go through many skunk rolls or boxes in the search for silver. Many of us have gone through skunk streaks of 20 - 30 boxes ($10K - $15K) or more without a single silver half. Then, boom, out of nowhere, a great box. I have found well over 100 skunk boxes in total this year, so there's $50K in halves searched without one silver per box. But there are still boxes out there with silver so we keep at it. I'll post my 2019 totals after the end of the year. I'm getting close to 400 silver halves, but running out of time this year.

The mints have nothing to do with removing silver - that's our job (hobby)!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Megalodon

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Weird 2nd box. Here are the numbers:
19 halves/roll: 7
20 halves/roll: 39
21 halves/roll: 4

Total: 997 halves. That's 3 short. Combined with the overage of 2 in the first box, the two boxes combined were short only one half.

The important numbers are:
Box 1: 1 x 40% half
Box 2: 8 x 40% halves

Getting close to 400 silver for 2019.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Happens frequently in my area with Loomis. Whereas some banks charge a fee, I always considered the risk of short rolls as a built in Loomis fee. Can't complain as that is a quick way for the bank manager to not be bothered ordering so you just hope that it evens out. In many cases, it evens out across a box, but other times a box will be short and sometimes over. Garbage In; Garbage Out.

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
There was a time a few years ago that I was consistently getting boxes short in roll counts, some boxes as much as $12.00 in missing halves out of the properly crimpt rolls. I asked the branch manager to try and correct the issue and was told he had no way to let the people know a machine in the processing plant was out of wack. He did say to let him know what amount was short and he would give me the missing money back. They finally corrected the issue, but that went on for weeks. That was Guarda delivering the boxes. Every so often now i find a 1 short roll, but not very often.

OP
OP
Megalodon

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happens frequently in my area with Loomis. Whereas some banks charge a fee, I always considered the risk of short rolls as a built in Loomis fee. Can't complain as that is a quick way for the bank manager to not be bothered ordering so you just hope that it evens out. In many cases, it evens out across a box, but other times a box will be short and sometimes over. Garbage In; Garbage Out.

I just started getting these Loomis boxes as a hedge against my regular Brinks boxes. I did about 140 Brinks boxes this year and not a single outlier. I won't say anything to the bank manager either, and really, the gas costs more than a small shortage. I'm just happy to get the boxes at all, and they have produced some silver.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Megalodon

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was a time a few years ago that I was consistently getting boxes short in roll counts, some boxes as much as $12.00 in missing halves out of the properly crimpt rolls. I asked the branch manager to try and correct the issue and was told he had no way to let the people know a machine in the processing plant was out of wack. He did say to let him know what amount was short and he would give me the missing money back. They finally corrected the issue, but that went on for weeks. That was Guarda delivering the boxes. Every so often now i find a 1 short roll, but not very often.

My main bank got Guarda boxes last year and at least here, I never had an issue with them. In fact, they were the best boxes for me for silver. $12 is quite a shortage.

blueberra

Oct 15, 2009
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I usually count the halves as I search the (Loomis) rolls and I don't recall a single roll that didn't have exactly 20 coins; however, I frequently get shortchanged by the coin machine when I dump.

For example, this week I was stiffed three halves. I used this shortfall as an opportunity to discuss my concerns with the customer service person. I said that in the past I had had halves end up in the internal reject tray and also get stuck under the rotating pad. He said "Let's open the machine and see if we can find them."

Nada

So I dumped $493 in halves (I had a good box) and was credited with $491.50.

To date, I have never got more credit than I should have, but I'd say about half the time I get shorted by a coin or two. This week was the second time (in the 1.5 years I've been CRHing halves) that I've had 3 coins stolen by the machine.

I don't know if this is a common occurrence with coin counting machines or one that is particular to halves.

OP
OP
Megalodon

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also know my coin count before I dump at the credit unions. I've actually gotten more that I dumped on two occasions, by one and two coins. More often the coin machine shorts the count by one or two. I don't know why and I haven't asked for it to be checked. However, when the coin machine has been opened because a message indicated that internal sensor cleaning was needed, I have found halves loose under the disc mechanism, later fed them in, and wound up with a slight overage, so some halves do spin off and either jam or fall off the wheel inside. Dimes too. I dump at several branches of two different credit unions and they have three different types of machines, some of which have never shorted me.

Rosco53

Mar 17, 2018
Bryant, WI
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV (hobby lobby 40% off ;-) )
Primary Interest:
Other
Man...glad I'm sticking to cents, anything different and I'm up! :p

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread