Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know that this is a dumb question, but does anyone know what the average "Turn-a-Round" time it takes for a vendor service truck to pickup bags from a bank, to the time the coins are boxed and delivered to any new locations? Are we talking days, weeks, or ?

Actually, its a great question. Hopefully, someone has a great answer!

bertmaster2000

Dec 19, 2013
Northern US
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my area the turnaround time on halves can be as little as 1 week, but it varies from weeks to months.

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
also I would expect it is LIFO Last in first out, so unless there is a big call for halves we are only getting the ones we have already searched with a sprinkling of customer drops from the coin counters

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Turn around time for any cash management facility depends entirely on the anticipated needs of the customers. For any particular denomination of coin or bill, the turnaround could be a few hours to a few months.

In larger facilities, coins are normally counted into gaylord size hoppers, which will be emptied to roller machines or coin dispensers when full. In smaller facilities, hoppers may be smaller, but the process flow is the same.

Bills are separated by denomination. Some are banded into bundles appropriate for anticipated customer use. Other bills are used to fill standardized “cassettes”, used in ATM and other cash dispensers.

Distribution from the cash management facility is typically on a “last in, first out” basis.

While many details will vary from one facility to another, even within the same company, the above points are generally true in most facilities.

I have not bothered to check, but there may be a few videos on YouTube that could cover this to some degree.

Time for more coffee.

Johnny5

Feb 19, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelabs CTX 3030, Excalibur and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What are the chances that employees swap out silver halves for themselves verses putting them back into rolls/circulation for delivery to the banks?

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
A few days before a stroke, several years ago, I considered a position with GARDA. The tour of the facility included heavy emphasis that no employee was to possess, on the workroom floor, any cash. Both coin and bills were forbidden to be on the person of any employee. Interpret that however you like. No, I do not know if that rule is used throughout the industry, but it is a sensible rule.

Johnny5

Feb 19, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelabs CTX 3030, Excalibur and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks good to know there's hope for more silver.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few days before a stroke, several years ago, I considered a position with GARDA. The tour of the facility included heavy emphasis that no employee was to possess, on the workroom floor, any cash. Both coin and bills were forbidden to be on the person of any employee. Interpret that however you like. No, I do not know if that rule is used throughout the industry, but it is a sensible rule.

Thank you for that helpful post. It is something I think we've all wondered about. I agree that it is a sensible rule. It becomes a slippery slope if employees are allowed to snipe silver on the job. BTW, my best rolls were Garda rolls and I wish my bank still had a contract with them.

I'm sorry to hear about your stroke and hope you are doing well. The tour of the facility sounds to me like the best way to conduct a job interview. Almost 40 years ago, the US National Aquarium (in the basement of the Commerce Bldg) was privatized and re-staffed. I interviewed for the job of curator of fishes and was offered a different position. I turned it down only because I thought it would be miserable commuting into Washington DC every day. But the walking tour and behind-the-scenes interview was the best interview I ever experienced.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread