Today, I Found It... the 2009-D District of Columbia DDR FS-801! - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Today, I Found It... the 2009-D District of Columbia DDR FS-801!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Feb 2020
    22 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by enamel7 View Post
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but you didn't read everything correctly. The population and values you looked at were for coins graded MS-66. Your coin will be nowhere near that value. I'm afraid you overpaid.
    No, you are wrong with nearly everything you have said.

Yes, the population for the FS801 is accurate. There were 21 ever found prior to this.

There is no way to know the true value with a mintage that low. The only one available for sale in the world is MS67 and $3,500 on eBay. Is this MS67? Of course not. Is it valuable? Of course!

I overpaid?

I found it coin roll hunting. It cost me $0.25.

Read a post before dumping on it.

us
    Jan 2013
    Central Texas
    Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coile 11x15DD coil 6DD coil Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
    621 times
    Awesome find!!! I will have to keep my eye out for those to check!!!
    Wrapper Stacker likes this.

Apr 2020
    12 times
    Coin Roll Hunting
    This is so cool! What a find!

I feel like every day, I'm learning about some new error variety in quarters. I want to get a copy of Cherrypicker's Guide, but everywhere I look online, the damned thing costs hundreds of dollars. And I'm anti-Kindle. What's the deal here? Is is not possible to get a reasonably priced copy of this seemingly important book? What other options do I have for educating myself on errors and die varieties?
    Wrapper Stacker and TxAg like this.

May 2017
    Garrett AT Pro
    300 times
    Metal Detecting
    Woo hoo, congratulations! Can you please post full pictures of both sides. And, let us know how it grades. The PCGS Price Report is a shocker, good luck!

May 2017
    Garrett AT Pro
    300 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by TxAg View Post
    Woo hoo, congratulations! Can you please post full pictures of both sides. And, let us know how it grades. The PCGS Price Report is a shocker, good luck!
    Oops, sorry I should have read down the complete thread. Congrats on the grade and I like this coin. I have been searching for it and have yet to find one.

us
    Apr 2005
    North Carolina
    Garrett GTI 2500 Garrett AT Gold
    2471 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrapper Stacker View Post
    No, you are wrong with nearly everything you have said.

Yes, the population for the FS801 is accurate. There were 21 ever found prior to this.

There is no way to know the true value with a mintage that low. The only one available for sale in the world is MS67 and $3,500 on eBay. Is this MS67? Of course not. Is it valuable? Of course!

I overpaid?

I found it coin roll hunting. It cost me $0.25.

Read a post before dumping on it.
    I did read it. Population is only of coins that have been graded. Doesn't mean that's all there are in existence. You overpaid refers to $100 you paid to have it graded. The value will be less than half that. Most people didn't know about these until they were in circulation a while. That's why so few in higher grades and people don't send them in at lower grades due to the lower values. I wasn't hating on your great find. I would love to find one. I just wouldn't spend $100 to have a $45 dollar coin graded. Always run things like this by the experts in the forum before spending money.
    I'm just saying, Enamel7
    port ewen ace and Immy like this.
    2020 COIN ROLL HUNTING TOTALS!

Wheats..21
    Buffalos..0
    war nickels.0
    Silv Dimes...-2
    Silv Quarters-0/0
    Barbers-0/0
    Walker 0
    Bens- 0
    Kenn. 90%- 0
    Kenn. 40%- 0
    Proof- 0
    Silv. Proof -0
    Commemorative-0/0

us
    Apr 2005
    North Carolina
    2471 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Roll Hunting Family View Post
    This is so cool! What a find!

I feel like every day, I'm learning about some new error variety in quarters. I want to get a copy of Cherrypicker's Guide, but everywhere I look online, the damned thing costs hundreds of dollars. And I'm anti-Kindle. What's the deal here? Is is not possible to get a reasonably priced copy of this seemingly important book? What other options do I have for educating myself on errors and die varieties?
    There's no way it should cost that much. When the stores open back up go to Books a Million and pick up a copy.

Wheats..21
    Buffalos..0
    war nickels.0
    Silv Dimes...-2
    Silv Quarters-0/0
    Barbers-0/0
    Walker 0
    Bens- 0
    Kenn. 90%- 0
    Kenn. 40%- 0
    Proof- 0
    Silv. Proof -0
    Commemorative-0/0

Apr 2020
    12 times
    Coin Roll Hunting
    There's no way it should cost that much. When the stores open back up go to Books a Million and pick up a copy.
    Books a Million, Barnes and Noble, etc... None of them appear to have any copies in their inventory. They'll only sell pre-orders for the upcoming 6th edition, volume II... Which doesn't come out until September.

I did read it. Population is only of coins that have been graded. Doesn't mean that's all there are in existence. You overpaid refers to $100 you paid to have it graded. The value will be less than half that. Most people didn't know about these until they were in circulation a while. That's why so few in higher grades and people don't send them in at lower grades due to the lower values. I wasn't hating on your great find. I would love to find one. I just wouldn't spend $100 to have a $45 dollar coin graded. Always run things like this by the experts in the forum before spending money.
    I'm just saying, Enamel7
    What's the basis of your $45 appraisal?

us
    Apr 2005
    North Carolina
    2471 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Roll Hunting Family View Post
    Books a Million, Barnes and Noble, etc... None of them appear to have any copies in their inventory. They'll only sell pre-orders for the upcoming 6th edition, volume II... Which doesn't come out until September.

What's the basis of your $45 appraisal?
    Are you shopping on line for the books? The brick and mortar stores should have them in stock. As for the value, it's just a guess from looking at the values of the next grade above it.

Wheats..21
    Buffalos..0
    war nickels.0
    Silv Dimes...-2
    Silv Quarters-0/0
    Barbers-0/0
    Walker 0
    Bens- 0
    Kenn. 90%- 0
    Kenn. 40%- 0
    Proof- 0
    Silv. Proof -0
    Commemorative-0/0

us
    Mar 2005
    Vegas
    413 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrapper Stacker View Post
    There is no way to know the true value with a mintage that low.

...Is it valuable? Of course.
    You contradicted yourself there.

I'm afraid you got caught up in the euphoria of a possible high grade coin coupled with an extremely low population. But you forgot one critical aspect...demand.

A coin variety may have only a couple dozen examples in existence, but if nobody's clamouring for it, the value isn't there. Just look at how many regular coin people on this site who never knew it existed, myself included.

PCGS lists the MS 62 value at $50. Circulated examples are usually fractions of that.

No one's putting down the uniqueness of your find, kudos all around. You just can't attach your own estimation of value to it and then get defensive when others try to bring you back down to earth.

Perhaps this variety will go up in price, for your sake I hope it does. At least your example is professionally graded.
    enamel7 likes this.
    Last appearance in pocket change:

Wheat penny: 1956-D (7/24/19)
    Silver: 1949-D quarter (8/9/19)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links