Today, I Found It... the 2009-D District of Columbia DDR FS-801!

Wrapper Stacker

Greenie
Feb 4, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I search through 3-4 boxes of quarters every week. I check every 2009 District of Columbia reverse for doubling. I rarely keep them any longer, as I used to hold on to all of my 2009 quarters. I especially don’t keep the District of Columbia quarters as their mint figures exceed any other 2009 quarters.

However, I check every coin for doubling after I’ve completed my initial hunt through a box. As I was going through the 2009s, I thought “man, this one is in really good shape, I may just need to keep this one.” Then, I checked for doubling. To my surprise, it was the one I’ve been looking for on hundreds of District of Columbia quarters, to no avail.

In my Cherrypickers guide, it does not indicate a value. So, I went to PCGS: https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/2009-d-25c-ddr-fs-801-district-columbia/510126. And that’s when I couldn’t believe what just happened.

I had found the 2009-D District of Columbia DDR-801, with a PCGS population of 13! The NGC is 8.

The only listing I can find online for this coin is for several thousands of dollars.

My mind is blown. And I will certainly send it in for grading.

6E581709-6178-46A0-B5FD-B7F5F1A257C9.jpg

Upvote 2

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, you are wrong with nearly everything you have said.

Yes, the population for the FS801 is accurate. There were 21 ever found prior to this.

There is no way to know the true value with a mintage that low. The only one available for sale in the world is MS67 and $3,500 on eBay. Is this MS67? Of course not. Is it valuable? Of course!

I overpaid?

I found it coin roll hunting. It cost me $0.25.

Read a post before dumping on it.

I did read it. Population is only of coins that have been graded. Doesn't mean that's all there are in existence. You overpaid refers to $100 you paid to have it graded. The value will be less than half that. Most people didn't know about these until they were in circulation a while. That's why so few in higher grades and people don't send them in at lower grades due to the lower values. I wasn't hating on your great find. I would love to find one. I just wouldn't spend $100 to have a $45 dollar coin graded. Always run things like this by the experts in the forum before spending money.
I'm just saying, Enamel7

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is so cool! What a find!

I feel like every day, I'm learning about some new error variety in quarters. I want to get a copy of Cherrypicker's Guide, but everywhere I look online, the damned thing costs hundreds of dollars. And I'm anti-Kindle. What's the deal here? Is is not possible to get a reasonably priced copy of this seemingly important book? What other options do I have for educating myself on errors and die varieties?

There's no way it should cost that much. When the stores open back up go to Books a Million and pick up a copy.

Roll Hunting Family

Apr 14, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
There's no way it should cost that much. When the stores open back up go to Books a Million and pick up a copy.

Books a Million, Barnes and Noble, etc... None of them appear to have any copies in their inventory. They'll only sell pre-orders for the upcoming 6th edition, volume II... Which doesn't come out until September.

I did read it. Population is only of coins that have been graded. Doesn't mean that's all there are in existence. You overpaid refers to $100 you paid to have it graded. The value will be less than half that. Most people didn't know about these until they were in circulation a while. That's why so few in higher grades and people don't send them in at lower grades due to the lower values. I wasn't hating on your great find. I would love to find one. I just wouldn't spend $100 to have a $45 dollar coin graded. Always run things like this by the experts in the forum before spending money.
I'm just saying, Enamel7

What's the basis of your $45 appraisal?

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Books a Million, Barnes and Noble, etc... None of them appear to have any copies in their inventory. They'll only sell pre-orders for the upcoming 6th edition, volume II... Which doesn't come out until September.

What's the basis of your $45 appraisal?

Are you shopping on line for the books? The brick and mortar stores should have them in stock. As for the value, it's just a guess from looking at the values of the next grade above it.

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is no way to know the true value with a mintage that low.

...Is it valuable? Of course.

You contradicted yourself there.

I'm afraid you got caught up in the euphoria of a possible high grade coin coupled with an extremely low population. But you forgot one critical aspect...demand.

A coin variety may have only a couple dozen examples in existence, but if nobody's clamouring for it, the value isn't there. Just look at how many regular coin people on this site who never knew it existed, myself included.

PCGS lists the MS 62 value at $50. Circulated examples are usually fractions of that.

No one's putting down the uniqueness of your find, kudos all around. You just can't attach your own estimation of value to it and then get defensive when others try to bring you back down to earth.

Perhaps this variety will go up in price, for your sake I hope it does. At least your example is professionally graded.

Shinbone

Tenderfoot
Dec 7, 2020
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You contradicted yourself there.

I'm afraid you got caught up in the euphoria of a possible high grade coin coupled with an extremely low population. But you forgot one critical aspect...demand.

A coin variety may have only a couple dozen examples in existence, but if nobody's clamouring for it, the value isn't there. Just look at how many regular coin people on this site who never knew it existed, myself included.

PCGS lists the MS 62 value at $50. Circulated examples are usually fractions of that.

No one's putting down the uniqueness of your find, kudos all around. You just can't attach your own estimation of value to it and then get defensive when others try to bring you back down to earth.

Perhaps this variety will go up in price, for your sake I hope it does. At least your example is professionally graded.
It’s been a couple years since this post. Curious how many additional 2009 D DC DDR-001 errors have been found. Was lucky enough to find one a couple days ago in a bank coin roll myself and glad to add to my collection. Happy holidays everyone!!!

Attachments

• 4187731B-C797-45E8-AAB8-3AC477C7D791.png
    4187731B-C797-45E8-AAB8-3AC477C7D791.png
    827.4 KB · Views: 19

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread