Debris cup runneth over! Reject chute clad jackpot

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, from the internal debris cup, not technically the reject chute I guess.

I always ask during the bag change if they mind if I sort through the "garbage" in the debris cup. Usually I'll find some sticky or bent coins and other unspeakable nastiness that people run through the machine, but sometimes I'll get lucky and get a haul like this!

IMG_20200307_115345165_HDR.jpg

The cup was literally overflowing into the machine. I'll update with the total once I count it up.

IMG_20200307_142324397.jpg

Update - Total listed below, that'll help offset the machine counting shortages this year!

Q - 78
D- 205
N - 15
P - 62
Total FV - $47.37

And not a single silver!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, Congrats! I haven't asked to get access to the internal cup. Can't believe the store manger doesn't know about it!

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Now that's a lot of REJECTS. Congrats in a way, even if it's only for FV$. I'm surprised that the machine didn't malfunction or burn up.

Rosco53

Mar 17, 2018
Bryant, WI
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV (hobby lobby 40% off ;-) )
Primary Interest:
Other
Surprised the bank let ya take that much. Also, booo nothing neat.

OP
OP
Avago

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
I was surprised they let me take it too. It seems to depend on which teller I happen to get, most don't care but some are iffy. Got lucky though!

Makes you wonder though, who technically owned all of that coin? It was the customer's when they put it into the machine trusting it was going to be counted correctly, but when the machine rejected it, is it the bank's then? Should the customer have known they were being shorted by that much and let them know? Then what's the point of the counter in the first place?

Typically tellers just tell me they throw out whatever is in that cup, so maybe the bank isn't even allowed to keep it since it's technically not theirs and wasn't counted by the machine?

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was surprised they let me take it too. It seems to depend on which teller I happen to get, most don't care but some are iffy. Got lucky though!

Makes you wonder though, who technically owned all of that coin? It was the customer's when they put it into the machine trusting it was going to be counted correctly, but when the machine rejected it, is it the bank's then? Should the customer have known they were being shorted by that much and let them know? Then what's the point of the counter in the first place?

Typically tellers just tell me they throw out whatever is in that cup, so maybe the bank isn't even allowed to keep it since it's technically not theirs and wasn't counted by the machine?

I had one reject haul like that myself, although I think it was only like ~$30. In my case though it was a problem with the machine that caused the reject haul and not from the internal reject cup. I could see my coins slipping through a hole and into the inside of machine. When I brought it to the attention of the person who came to change the bin, they opened the machine and there were coins everywhere. Since come were mine, they just let me take it all.

Ultimately, some tellers would let me empty inside reject cup and some wouldn't. I was always told, the workers that come to service the machine (or the tellers) just throw out whatever is in the cup. As I usually had a canvas bag with me, I just dumped in whatever was in the cup and looked through it at home. Found gold, silver, many foreign coins, and a few other interesting odds and ends.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread