Coin "shortage"

apdp

Dec 7, 2010
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did my banking yesterday and got a change order. The teller told me they are limiting quarters to 10 rolls, dimes to 4 and nickels to 5 rolls. Also stated she did not know if the availability would last.

The other disturbing shortage is kegs of beer. Bud has caught up and evidently Coors will next week (here). Can't get many smaller brands such as Blue Moon.

Hell of a time we are living in.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been saving all "in change" coins for years - sort of a separate savings account.

I do need to go to town tomorrow, so just for good will I'm thinking of depositing all my pounds of coins into my account - I got a good bank here, faithful to me.

Won't be any silver or wheaties in my deposit, so you won't get anything from me. I also save copper cents, so they're all clad cents.....

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
I'm able to order and receive my 2 boxes of halves again, the teller said anything else is hard to get, but not halves.

rcb187

May 3, 2018
Cornville, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
as long as i bring a trade in box i get no hassle. The new boxes ive been getting are all new coins though. 2019 - 2020. atleast i can look for W and S..... pretty boring going through new coins for me.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
as long as i bring a trade in box i get no hassle. The new boxes ive been getting are all new coins though. 2019 - 2020. atleast i can look for W and S..... pretty boring going through new coins for me.

I presume "S" is San Francisco mint. What's the "W" all about?

I guess I've been hiding up the holler too long, missing out on the real world lately.....

Edit: Oh, just realized the bank won't be open today, it's July 4th.... How could I forget? It's my birthday, at least at 5:55 pm! And it's a bloody holiday....

Last edited:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
W - West Point mint.

And Happy Birthday and many more.

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The teller sitting in front of the local WF said coin deliveries from Loomis dropped from $9,500.00 per week to $750.
I thought with so much unemployment people might be having to cash in their piggy banks early, instead of waiting till Christmas. But evidently that hasn't happened yet.

I presume "S" is San Francisco mint. What's the "W" all about?

I guess I've been hiding up the holler too long, missing out on the real world lately.....

Edit: Oh, just realized the bank won't be open today, it's July 4th.... How could I forget? It's my birthday, at least at 5:55 pm! And it's a bloody holiday....

LOL. You sound surprised?
(Isn't your birthday the same "bloody holiday" on the same day every year? LOL. )

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I thought with so much unemployment people might be having to cash in their piggy banks early, instead of waiting till Christmas. But evidently that hasn't happened yet.
’Round here they haven’t opened the lobbies yet. Appointments need to be made for access. To me that’s a bit prohibitive.

rcb187

May 3, 2018
Cornville, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
whats everyones plans to keep busy while we have the coin shortage?

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Definitely a coin shortage....
I’ve found 29 cents metal detecting in my last 3 outings.

MauserMan

Jun 7, 2010
MA
Detector(s) used
BH Tiv
This is interesting indeed, a bit puzzling too.

The mint only makes a small part of the coin supply each year to keep the system greased. Clad coins last a long time, tons of it is out in circulation. Most people who do use cash (a minority) don’t give exact change, they get change back from the cashier. So, most businesses are presumably getting coins from their bank, not returning coins there. The banks must have vaults full of coins -we know this is the case for halves and dollar coins, other denominations likely too.

Is the rest of the coin float really from a couple people a week using the local coinstar or coin counter at the local bank? It seems fishy but maybe I’m over thinking it.:coffee2:

khestee

Sep 15, 2016
Sandhills of NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro & GTAX 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bank Lobbies are open here in NC. I cashed in $175 in coins yesterday. BofA is a pain to get coins from, but they did thank me for bringing in what I had rolled.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The banks must have vaults full of coins -we know this is the case for halves and dollar coins, other denominations likely too.

Exactly, one wells fargo branch asked me to stop depositing at their branch. (I always brought $500 bags that they furnished) I asked why and the manager said I bring in so much the vault is full.

That made my day. I win. I actually filled a WF vault.

That was several years ago. A bugger branch had no problems.

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
You have to have an appointment to get in the bank lobbies here. Some stores are giving store credit cards in lieu of coin change. One store that I know of is paying customers a little extra in product if you pay in coin.

I don't coin roll hunt so I'm not sure if they would consider that to be an acceptable reason for a lobby appointment. I'll have to ask about it.

Good Luck Roll Hunters!

Kace

Roll Hunting Family

Apr 14, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
My usual bank stopped allowing coin orders of any kind. Not even halves, which is irritating, because it's not like there's a half dollar shortage... The federal reserve branches must have hundreds of millions of dollars worth of halves sitting around.

My CRH hobby slowed down substantially about 6 weeks ago, when my work started to pick back up... But my weekly bank orders didn't slow down, so I built up a huge amount of coin in the house. I've still got 10 boxes of nickels, 4 boxes of quarters, 4 boxes of pennies, and 8 boxes of halves. My wife jokes that I caused the coin shortage. I rolled up 3 boxes of nickels and a box of quarters last week, and deposited them at the bank. They said it was helpful.

I know people are using Coinstar machines, because I found a silver dime in the reject tray last week, along with a German Pfennig and about 50 cents in clad dimes/nickels.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
My usual bank stopped allowing coin orders of any kind. Not even halves, which is irritating, because it's not like there's a half dollar shortage... The federal reserve branches must have hundreds of millions of dollars worth of halves sitting around.

My CRH hobby slowed down substantially about 6 weeks ago, when my work started to pick back up... But my weekly bank orders didn't slow down, so I built up a huge amount of coin in the house. I've still got 10 boxes of nickels, 4 boxes of quarters, 4 boxes of pennies, and 8 boxes of halves. My wife jokes that I caused the coin shortage. I rolled up 3 boxes of nickels and a box of quarters last week, and deposited them at the bank. They said it was helpful.

I know people are using Coinstar machines, because I found a silver dime in the reject tray last week, along with a German Pfennig and about 50 cents in clad dimes/nickels.
Nothing better than a roll hunting family!

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find silver dimes quite often at coinstars and have never found any other silver coins.Unless I was searching boxes at banks or buying CRW or tellers halves.So imagine my surprise when I found a 1939 silver quarter at the car wash change machine I actually thought it was a Canadian at first just by seeing the rim.So maybe the silver is starting to flow again just thankful the car wash owner doesn't check his change before he fills his machine.

Roll Hunting Family

Apr 14, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
Just visited Wells Fargo. They've had customers start using half dollars on occasion.

I asked the teller if she had any halves I could buy, and she pulled 3 Kennedys out of the till. Two were shiny clads, but one was a green stained 1968. I told her I'd buy the ugly one. She was confused, but she didn't ask questions.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Just visited Wells Fargo. They've had customers start using half dollars on occasion.

I asked the teller if she had any halves I could buy, and she pulled 3 Kennedys out of the till. Two were shiny clads, but one was a green stained 1968. I told her I'd buy the ugly one. She was confused, but she didn't ask questions.
Knowing WF’s background, they’re probly telling customers those are dollar coins :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread