Run a way silver price ?????
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Run a way silver price ?????

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Feb 2012
    2899 times
    Coin roll hunting

Run a way silver price ?????

Any ideas on why silver has jumped so high these past few days, up to $25 this afternoon. Gold at $1939.oz
    Is this our time to dump our silver stack, or wait a little longer?

Yes, I'm still around, but unable to get dime boxes from the banks.
    Been doing some date sorting of my stack, etc.
    Last edited by Dozer D; Jul 27, 2020 at 07:40 PM.

us
    steve andermatt

Apr 2013
    California
    AT GOLD/Garrett /Garrett pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger
    4592 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Sit tight until it levels out.
    back of the boat

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola, Full sized shovel and a backhoe
    30845 times
    Banner Finds (8)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Dump. I've seen these cycles, and while it may go a bit higher, when it drops it will drop dramatically.

Jun 2016
    New York
    918 times
    It just hit over $26. What do you think would be better to get rid of , junk silver or bars. I’m sitting on a few thousand 40%ers.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola, Full sized shovel and a backhoe
    30845 times
    Banner Finds (8)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Get rid of all the 40% ers first.

Jun 2016
    New York
    918 times
    That’s was I was thinking Smokey. They were all CRH finds so I only paid face value. May be time to reap my rewards.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
    19736 times
    Digging in the dirt & scooping in the water!
    If I were to sell silver, where would I take it?
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

"'He jests at scars who never felt a wound'" c.s.lewis - 1940

The Ten Commandments: http://www.godstenlaws.com/ten-comma.../#.UdAz65yynZg

The Bill of Rights: http://billofrightsinstitute.org/fou...ill-of-rights/

The Constitution: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

Jun 2016
    New York
    918 times
    Local coin shop .?

us
    Apr 2005
    North Carolina
    Garrett AT Gold
    2481 times
    They are both going up because the dollar is losing value. Look for it to adjust some, but it's definitely going higher!
    PetesPockets55 and Slingshot like this.
    2020 COIN ROLL HUNTING TOTALS!

Wheats..53
    Buffalos..0
    war nickels.0
    Silv Dimes...-2
    Silv Quarters-0/0
    Barbers-0/0
    Walker 0
    Bens- 0
    Kenn. 90%- 0
    Kenn. 40%- 0
    Proof- 0
    Silv. Proof -0
    Commemorative-0/0

us
    Aug 2017
    Concord
    Garrett 400
    77 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by DeepseekerADS View Post
    Craigslist

us
    Apr 2009
    Cornfield, IN
    F-22, cheapo pinpointer
    1308 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DeepseekerADS View Post
    I called American Precious Metals Exchange (APMEX) on Wednesday, 7/22/20 at around 4:50pm EST, just to get a feel for what their buy prices would be. I've bought from them several times over the years during dips.

I've only sold once, and it was also to APMEX. It was back when silver was on its run up to $40+. I sold some of my 40% Kennedy halves when the spot price was just shy of $30/oz. so that I could take some profit from CRHing and upgrade to .999 when the price dropped, which I later did. I only sold a portion of my 40%ers to see what the market would do and hung on to all of my 90% US silver because I like to have some variety sitting around. All of my transactions with APMEX have been great. Their communication has been clear both on the phone and through emails confirming the transactions and providing shipping information. When I sold my 40%ers, I got 94% of melt value.

I'd bought some 1 oz. .9999 and .999 rounds back in Sept. of 2018. Since they don't sell those types anymore (because RMC went belly-up), I figured that they'd just buy them at the secondary market rate (plus I've got some other secondary market 1 oz. rounds that I picked up here and there over the years). I figured that if I decided to sell, that I'd unload some of those first and hang on to my ASEs and other stuff. The spot price at the time that I requested the quote was $23.27/oz. and their buy price on the 1 oz. rounds was $22.85/oz. or $0.42/oz. under spot. I then asked what their buy price was on 40% Kennedy halves because I figured that maybe I'd just sell some more of those. The guy on the line asked, "How many?" and I figured that if I decided to sell, it would be in $100 increments face value. His quote was $6.19/$1FV or $619.00 for $100 in face value 40% halves. I thanked him for the information and told him that I'd keep an eye on the price for a while and if I decided to sell, that I'd give them a call back.

When I sold to them back in 2011 or 2012, I went with APMEX for peace of mind, following their shipping instructions with insurance and whatnot.

You could try local or Craigslist, but in my experience, I've had better luck finding deals when buying locally. When I've considered selling some and asked local buyers what their buy prices would be, I've never found one that I considered acceptable. Plus, if selling on Craigslist and not to a known, reputable dealer, you'd have to meet them in a safe location (police station parking lot?) and watch your back on your way home or to the bank, to make sure that the buyer doesn't decide to follow you... Even if I could get a decent local price, I don't figure that the extra hassle would be worth it.

Kindest regards,
    Kantuck
    Last edited by Kantuckkeean; Jul 28, 2020 at 12:20 AM. Reason: Checked my call log. It was Wed., 7/22, not Fri., 7/24 when I called APMEX.

Jan 2016
    855 times
    Look at the Silver/Gold ratio.
    I have played this game a few times.
    I traded my gold for silver when it was 87.
    It went to 125 but I think I still did good.
    For each ounce of gold I got 87 oz of silver.
    When the ratio goes to 30-40ish I will trade my silver for gold.
    If it goes to 30 and I trade back I will get almost 3 oz of gold for what I traded 1 oz of gold 9 years ago.
    I did this 2011
    Unfortunately you can only do this about every 10 years.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
    19736 times
    Digging in the dirt & scooping in the water!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kantuckkeean View Post
    Plus, if selling on Craigslist and not to a known, reputable dealer, you'd have to meet them in a safe location (police station parking lot?) and watch your back on your way home or to the bank, to make sure that the buyer doesn't decide to follow you... Even if I could get a decent local price, I don't figure that the extra hassle would be worth it. Kantuck
    I live in a very rural area where I'm essentially a stranger, and I do not socialize with the locals. I absolutely limit my public presence - long before Covid came along. We do have good people at our local Farmer's Market. I've considered getting a table there, but have hesitated at that, and it's $25 (last I checked) per occasion. I learned paranoia from a young age. I like people - but not very many, it takes time.
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

"'He jests at scars who never felt a wound'" c.s.lewis - 1940

The Ten Commandments: http://www.godstenlaws.com/ten-comma.../#.UdAz65yynZg

The Bill of Rights: http://billofrightsinstitute.org/fou...ill-of-rights/

The Constitution: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

Dec 2003
    Porter Township, Western Schuylkill County, Pa.
    2 MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO's .......3 Garrett Pro Pointers…… Sovereign XS-2 Pro ....... 2 Sovereign GT's
    39637 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    consider selling in early November would be my suggestion.
    if there is a changing of the guard, you may wanna hold onto it for survival.

if the status quo stays the same listen for an announcement about a virus cure.
    sell before it is released to the public.

My Uneducated opinion

May 2006
    CO, AZ
    dfx, Ryedale!
    236 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kantuckkeean View Post
    I called American Precious Metals Exchange (APMEX) on Wednesday, 7/22/20 at around 4:50pm EST, just to get a feel for what their buy prices would be. I've bought from them several times over the years during dips.
    s,
    Kantuck
    I've used APMEX numerous times in the past. But not right now. I called last week. They had a monster box of 2015 Eagles for sale for $18,340.
    I wanted to see what they would pay. I know they have to make a living, so I expected maybe $16K or even $15.5K for a buy side, so they could make the spread. They offered me $12,200. $24.40 per coin. While they are asking $36.70 per coin for their same stuff. HUGE spread.

I didn't sell to them. Told them I could sell it for $16K through Craigs list and undercut their prices and still be WAY higher than their offer. PLus not pay shipping on a heavy box.

They used to be close to realistic on their buys. Right now they are working on too high of a spread, and not worth selling to. IMHO.
    Kantuckkeean likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links