To sell or wait?

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"I bought all of that in 2012 at $48/ozt., Mr. Gov't Man. Just sold it all for $40/ozt. Can you direct me to the form for declaring my losses?"

:dontknow:

One thing they may do is ask for proof of the purchase/receipts, which you might not necessarily have if they were a bunch of smaller, unreport-able cash purchases - But big brother would say "where did you get the $xx,xxx in 2012 to buy it all then?"

Initiate audit.

I got almost all of my tiny stack as gifts from family - in 2012 (when the gift tax exclusion amount was $13k).
Unfortunately, it was all lost in a boating accident and I now have no physical metals of any sort (except some pitted silver fillings in my teeth - from the 1980's).

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I'll put a few 40% out at spot and see what happens... Y'all have me intrigued. I do like this silver to gold trade if the ratio is already swinging that way. Avoiding going into dollars sounds great. I already have dollars for that lol.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I think I'll put a few 40% out at spot and see what happens... Y'all have me intrigued. I do like this silver to gold trade if the ratio is already swinging that way. Avoiding going into dollars sounds great. I already have dollars for that lol.
My 40% sat on Craigslist for a month with only one inquiry. That was at $35/oz. I settled for 75% spot.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
"But, I am holding out for 35 to trade my silver back into gold.
I believe mid 30's is most likely."

I used to believe that. Now I don't. Gold is just so much stronger and the international governments buying it (and not silver). I still like silver better, but think I might swap at about 55 - 60. Truly. Or even to to the sidelines (Cash) for a bit and watch. But yes, I thought 90 was too high, and 125 ridiculous.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
Craigs list too. Never use Feebay, but CL has worked for me. Both buying and selling.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I recently ( 2 months ago ) had a local silver buyer offer me 90% of melt price for my stack. I still hope his offer is there on the table, with melt at $26/oz.+\-, which is approx 19-times FV. Think I'm going to dump it soon before any downswing., just like when it hit $20 early this year and I dumped a lot of my halves, when I was in need of some liquid cash.

Be nice to have a crystal ball just to see HOW HIGH it can go this time.

Last edited:

Chris819

Mar 9, 2013
MD
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am still holding onto my silver at $26.82. Wanted to buy more ASE but going to wait before buying more. Might look into more Junk silver

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sell. Fast. Timing is everything. As the stock market rises, eventually, maybe sooner than later, metals will tank. Markets are driven by two things: Fear and greed.

I bought a stock last Wednesday morning upon listening carefully to news reports on the company and reading about the company's 10 year history.

I bought it at market open at 9:30 am. I sold it 25 minutes later and made $1200. If I would have waited a little longer I would have made a little more.

If I would waited until FRIDAY, I would have lost $1200.

Smokey - Just curious...did you just get lucky (happy to make $1200) or did you have some reason to believe it wouldn't be as valuable on Friday? Or do prescribe to some kind of technical analysis of trends.

I've played around with stocks for years. I've made money. I've lost money. I even have a degree (forever ago) in Finance. My conclusion after all these years....I'll never be privy to enough information to make truly educated decisions in the short term. By short term, I mean days, weeks, even months. Today's stock price is based on it's expected value, not the actual value. The people driving those prices have access to way more information than I.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Back to the original question, once silver hit $25 I made the decision to sell 5-10% of my junk 90% silver stockpile every time the price went up $5/oz. Once the price gets to where I can get $5 apiece for me 40%’s, I’ll dump them all. Gold I’m holding.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread