Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Melt 'em down, who's gonna know?
Right away there’s the energy costs to melt, and most scrap yards won’t accept home cast bars. Most likely unless you can sell copper directly, melting defeats the purpose and normally you’ll lose money. I suppose you could sell for a premium on eBay but I would think you could probably do better getting a min wage job.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
With the current melt ban, how do the buyers benefit from rising copper prices?

We have a no melt in Canada, from owning a scrap yard I was not allowed to buy Canadian coinage for melt. But I could buy tokens, or any other currency from another country.
I was at one of my brokers one day when a container of scrap came in from Cuba-barrels of coins going to the smelter.

The broker would buy a cast copper ingot for brass pricing and then threw it into the bales of #2 copper, as it went to the foundries and there seemed to be a allowable range for brass content.
But the message was we'll buy it this time-but only this time.
Off shore containers was the only other option for any type of cast ingot.

Then if some dude showed up with a few ingots it got into the what/where/how/who's of the buying/selling process. It was generally easier to just to say I'll pay that-because of that-and they usually went away. Not worth the hassles that seem to follow the ingot/melts.
Scrap silver coinage there's always a market for that it seems......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread