1964 D pennies?

Hunt Diggerson

Apr 11, 2021
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I heard they are rare, as far as minting pennies goes. Only a million or so made? I seem to recall there were some with flaws in them, making them valuable. Found this one. Doesn't look flawed.
Sigh. 20210416_211335.jpg
What other pennies are rare?

Upvote 0

Ranger Chuck

Apr 6, 2018
Central PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually there were 3.8 billion minted. Not rare at all. If you dig a 1909-s, 1909-s vdb, 1914-d or 1931-s, then you've got something special.

OP
OP
H

Hunt Diggerson

Apr 11, 2021
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So you are right. Apparently, the 1964 D's seem to have some flaws in some of them, making them rare. Some of them. I looked on E-bay and there are 1964's going for as much as $6,800 and up. But, only because of the minting flaws ( no mint mark, no L on liberty, multiple casts-doublings etc)
Wasn't there a shortage of copper during WWII? Made pennies from steel in '41 or '42?
Thanks for your help.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are errors for every year, some can have value, some don't. No mintmark on a 1964 just means it was minted in Philadelphia. Extremely high grade coins can sell for good money depending on rarity. When checking ebay prices, only look at what they actually sold for, you can list one for a million dollars but it doesn't mean it will sell or is worth that. 1943 was the year cents were made from steel.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:some real clowns on EBAY

(that includes their "customer service" non English speaking script readers)

who list "rare ddo/ddr" coins for thousands----, and other "estate find extremely rare error" junk----- weed through the idiots----and machine doubling is not "doubled die"

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Actually, there are lots of stupid questions. For most, regardless of subject, I simply refer to guidebooks or source documents, and tell people that most of the internet is filled with BS. For most of the misinformation from your first post on this thread, I would refer you to the Red Book, and suggest you obtain one.

Time for more coffee.

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1964 pennies with no mint mark were made in Philly. Not rare. Steel pennies were minted in '43. Not really rare but cool.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
That 64D looks like a digger and I found one just like it last Sunday. It's worth more in copper value than one cent. No numismatic value.

Things for sale is not the same as sold items. When looking on Ebay, scroll down and over to the left you'll find "sold items". Click on that to see what items have actually sold for.
There's some guys ripping idiots off selling crap coins. I see ugly dug coins being described as types of mint errors.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1964 coins are made from 90% silver and are worth 15-20 times their face value.

Only pennies and nickels from 1964 are still widely in circulation (some dimes and quarters can be found, but not many). If you collect enough of them, you can end up with a fortune.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Not quite. Cents have never been made of silver, and the only years of modern coinage where nickels were of a silver alloy were mid-1942 through 1945.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, it's real. I don't pretend to know it all, if I did, I would never learn anything.

No such thing as a stupid question, but same doesn't apply to responses.

Well actually original question was kinda, well,you know. You could easily have asked Google what the mintage was. You actually began your post acting like you knew more than you did. There's no shame in not knowing.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, going back and reading the first post you know nothing about coins.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
The RED BOOK, latest edition or not, will usually answer most questions everyone needs to know. More than enough info is in there, just read through it.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1964 coins are made from 90% silver and are worth 15-20 times their face value.

Only pennies and nickels from 1964 are still widely in circulation (some dimes and quarters can be found, but not many). If you collect enough of them, you can end up with a fortune.

Not quite. Cents have never been made of silver, and the only years of modern coinage where nickels were of a silver alloy were mid-1942 through 1945.

Firstly: sar·casm /ˈsärˌkazəm/ The use of irony to mock or convey contempt...

Plus, everything about my post is accurate even if it is sarcastically misleading.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Actually, no. You state 1964 coins are made from 90% silver. Had you stated that some or most coins minted in 1964 are made from 90% silver...

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Please understand, LooseChange, that I frequently encounter people who believe all US coins dated 1964 and earlier are silver. That is why I called attention to your post. It was, indeed, factually inaccurate.

Time for more coffee.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, no. You state 1964 coins are made from 90% silver. Had you stated that some or most coins minted in 1964 are made from 90% silver...
Please understand, LooseChange, that I frequently encounter people who believe all US coins dated 1964 and earlier are silver. That is why I called attention to your post. It was, indeed, factually inaccurate.

Firstly (and most importantly): sar·casm /ˈsärˌkazəm/ The use of irony to mock or convey contempt...

Stupid questions deserve stupid answers.

1964 coins are made from 90% silver. That is true.
1964 coins are made from 62.5% silver (Mark). True.
1964 coins are made from 10% silver (Peso). True.
1964 coins are made from nickel (Franc). True.
1964 coins are made from cupronickel (many). True.
1964 coins are made from brass (many). True.
1964 coins are made from . . .

Just because #2 - #7 are true does not mean that #1 is not true. It is.

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One 1964 copper cent makes your comment about 1964 coins being 90% silver false. Your attempt at sarcasm failed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread