Coin Roll Hunting: The Next Treasure Hunting Craze? Volume 42 January 2008 WET - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    us
    Wolfpack Life Member

Mar 2005
    Stephens City, Virginia
    Treasure Ace250 Tesoro Cibola
    40 times

Re: Coin Roll Hunting: The Next Treasure Hunting Craze? Volume 42 January 2008 WET

I have followed this thread for awhile now. Now the article on WET. I logged back on to check it out.

I see there is no need to try, you great CRHunters have gotten it all. I won't waste my time.

DM

mx
    May 2007
    Good 'Ol USA /
    Garrett Ace 250 of course
    4 times

Re: Coin Roll Hunting: The Next Treasure Hunting Craze? Volume 42 January 2008 WET

Quote Originally Posted by Digginman
    I have followed this thread for awhile now. Now the article on WET. I logged back on to check it out.

I see there is no need to try, you great CRHunters have gotten it all. I won't waste my time.

DM
    That's right. Time to quit. There is no silver left.
    HH, S_F
    CRH TOTAL? Thatís just a number and mines UNLISTED.

Swing and dig folks, swing and dig, because according to the late, great Mel Fisher, TODAY COULD BE THE DAY

May 2006
    CO, AZ
    dfx, Ryedale!
    213 times

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip_in_NM

Please understand, I'm not angry as much as I am disappointed. It was a fun ride and I had a great time. I figured that sooner or later the word would get out on a grand scale, but I was rather hoping it would be later, even much, much later. I had envisioned building a nice little nest egg out of my CRHing exploits.
    To me that sounds like greed speaking. YOU want YOUR nest egg from this wonderful hobby, but you don't want others to know about it. YOU want it all, and you don't want others to benefit from it. Like it is your own hard work that discovered CRH and no one lese has rights to it. That smacks of greed, plain and simple. And on Christmas no less. Have you heard the story about these three spirits that visit a man named Ebenezer and ... well, nevermind.

<<Maybe you truly are that altruistic. I've heard of people like that, but can't remember having met any.

Maybe you're the first. But I doubt it. >>

I must be the first then. Nice to meet you. My name is John. :-)

PLease don't doubt. It is true that thre are people with a TOTALLY different view on things than you have. Yes, I believe in sharing. Granted, if I found a spot that had coins in the ground that was an acre in size, I would hunt it myself. But, if I found a spot that yielded lots and lots of coins, over 100 acres, like you mentioned, yeah, I'd share it. Because I can't work that much all by myself, and it's good to show others how to find good spots too. So, call me an altruistic type person. Just don't make it sound so dang ... bad! ;-)

As for this hobby, this is like finding a field that is 250,000 acres large, and littered with coins. So big that no one, or ten or even one thousand people CAN work it "all". PLus, there are new coins being planted in this imginary field all the time, as others cash in their old coins. So telling others about this large field will NOT make it disappear tomorrow. Maybe your cherished nest egg will be a little tougher to come by, but that's the whole point of being altruistic. Especially since you don't OWN this imaginary field. It is pulic property. To allow others to share in a cache that is this size, instead of hoarding it all to ourselves as misers is a GOOD thing.

So, I am what I am. Guilty. I"m altruistic. Always have been. Maybe it comes from 21 years working bivocationally as a church planter and pastor, all for free, as I worked for Merrill Lynch and then myself to make ends meet, so that I could give to the people and to the local churches with no pay that whole time. It just felt good to give and not expect to get paid for it. Does that qualify in any way as making me the first one you have met? If so, then again I'm glad to meet you. Oh, and I think that there are others on THIS board that are ALSO altruistic, and helpful to others, and would be glad to meet your acquaintance too.

<<You could've spent many happy years finding silver on just about every outing, but then because you chose to "share the good news" through a national magazine, those years of good hunting on the horizon are now memories of the past. >> No not a thing of the past. Just a thing that was spread out to many people for a few years instead of one person for many years. Being a public hobby., like CRH, I still think it was a good thing to share. I also disagree that the hobby will be overrun due to the article though. Some will join us, but not many. And most will leave the hobby after a few skunk boxes. It just happens that way. So cheer up. I bet if you talk to YOUR banks (Making it real now, and personal. Not just theory) you will find that they have "maybe" one other person that recently started asking them for coins. Between ALl the banks you deal with. And odds are they have NO ONE new asking for halves. It's just not going to get that busy from this article. NOr stay that way.

So, keep working at CRH. Your nest eggg will grow. It may decrease you r total finds a little bit due to this article, but I don't see this affecting you as badly as you think. And if it helps some others to find this great hobby, then I'm smiling at that idea. WIth my silly ultruistic smile. :-}

Merry Christmas (the day God gave us His ultimate gift, and didn't keep the "good news" all to himself. Lucky US! :-) :-) :-)

John

us
    Apr 2007
    N.E. of Atlanta

Hey Jrf, In the true spirit of Christmas, sharing and "altruism", why don't you list the city that you MD and CRH in? And maybe share with everybody exactly which banks you have the most success at, or which fields or parks you tend to find most of your MDing finds. I would imagine that you are not quite THAT "altruistic", are you Gpurs....

May 2006
    CO, AZ
    dfx, Ryedale!
    213 times

Quote Originally Posted by GPURS
    Hey Jrf, In the true spirit of Christmas, sharing and "altruism", why don't you list the city that you MD and CRH in? And maybe share with everybody exactly which banks you have the most success at, or which fields or parks you tend to find most of your MDing finds. I would imagine that you are not quite THAT "altruistic", are you Gpurs....
    I am in PHoenix. I get coins from numerous banks, but seeem to have better success with Wachovia than Wells Fargo.

:-)

As for my best MD spots, I HAVE written though about how to detect at old schools (Sharing the information) and do better, how to FIND old places others normally miss, how to work with insurance companies and have ONGOING income from your detector (My best piece of advise, in my opinion, because I know someone that made $12,000 in 2006 doing it based on MY article), and how to work the ski slopes of Colorado (ohhh. If I have to pick a spot, that would be it. As my best that you asked about) and get more goodies.

So I guess I already HAVE given my MD tips out TOO. AND my best spots. I've told people HOW AND WHEN to work the slopes to get the best results, how to find different hidden sites, and how to work those sites better when you find them.

What more do you want? :-)

(Is it that hard to accept that someone would share how to do something with others so that they too could have success? I have recieved MUCH more income from insurance companies than from CRH. Yet I shared that with NO problem. Because our universe is so LARGE. There IS enough to share.)

Merry Christmas.

John

Jul 2006
    Land of Enchantment
    Minelab Etrac, White's MX5, White's M6, Garrett AT Pro
    11 times
    Metal Detecting

Nice to meet you, John. Merry Christmas.

PM me the insurance thing (or tell me where to view it) - sounds promising.

I've yet to clean out all the banks in New Mexico - did you leave me any in Arizona? I was planning on getting it next. Or would that make me greedy(er)?

Etrac for deep silver
    M6 for gold

Learning the Deus

The early bird may get the worm, but the SECOND mouse gets the cheese!!!

Love to find the treasures here and the dog shows.

Dec 2007
    Kentucky
    Whites DFX; Whites Sufe Master PI Pro
    2 times

Yes John what is the insurance thing?

Happy New Year
    Cat
    Peace 1
    Silver Ike 6
    Walkers 103
    Bens 188
    64 JFK 707
    40% 2179
    Proofs 200
    Post 01 273 I stopped keeping them
    1987 24
    SLC 7
    One Large US Cent
    Three Balboa

us
    Mar 2008
    Michigan
    2 times

Yea this is bad news . I 'm hearing the f word (FEES) and limit's allot lately. I am worried by this article. I wasn't aware of it till I read this thread. but I am feeling the effects of it for shure.

I enjoyed the article and found it to be accurate and relative to my experience. And could see where CRH's would be miffed by it. It will definitely put a hurt on our hobby/passive income for sure. My opinion. Mostly because of the limits and fee's the bank's are imposing, not so much the newbie's But the newbie's are out there and they are gobbling up the treasure.

I will say this. My request for half dollars used to be met with "Oh thank God no one ever wants these things", to "whats all the fuss everyone is asking for them" or "we got a couple of guys ordering as many as 4 and 5 box's a week". and they rarely ever get loose ones coming in any more.

So did the article make a difference..... In my opinion..... Yes .Absolutely

How would you like it if you had to pay a fee to search a park, a beach, a school, a ski slope or limit your search area to a fraction of your norm or not allow it at all due to the sudden interest in your hobby??

There is fallout from the increased interest in CRH. Is it the article or the rise in Silver price or both.

CRH Mojo
    CRH Mojo "Thanks For buying American"

Wow, I didnt realize this forum had their own club ( core members ). What do you consider those of us who have been doing CRH since 1980, but have only been puting up posts the last few months or so ? I am not new to the hobby, so i'm not a newbie - but only decided to start posting just for the heck of it - ( So i'm a newbie to posting ! ). I have also been metal detecting for 20 yrs. , & yes its way easier to find silver in the rolls than it is in the ground. Ron

seger98

That's it, I'm gonna call Cash & Treasure on the Travel channel & let them do a story on it, the way they "Stretch" the truth on finding treasures, there'll be thousands of CRHer's out there in no time & it'll all come to an end.

mx
    May 2007
    Good 'Ol USA /
    Garrett Ace 250 of course
    4 times

Quote Originally Posted by seger98
    there'll be thousands of CRHer's out there in no time & it'll all come to an end.
    Looks like Pat has it right, check out his sign.............
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    HH, S_F
    CRH TOTAL? Thatís just a number and mines UNLISTED.

Swing and dig folks, swing and dig, because according to the late, great Mel Fisher, TODAY COULD BE THE DAY

us
    Feb 2012
    721 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Both opinions are correct. Like everything else, if everyone and their brother starts doing it, it ruins it for everyone that has been doing it. On the other hand, it's a great hobby and can be quite a gift to pass it on to someone. Solution: Only tell the one or two people that you care about most and think will really enjoy it. DONT go spreading it to the world, wayyyy to many idiots out there with no respect

us
    Jan 2011
    Wow...talk about bringing back the dead...4 year old thread...back to life.

Tell no one, what they don't know won't hurt them.

us
    OCD Coin Hunter

May 2011
    15 times
    No kidding! I frequent several forums and I can't remember the last time I saw someone resurrect a 4-year old posting. But since it is back...

I regard CRH the same way I would extreme couponing. Like CRH, there are a lot of people who extreme coupon that guard their knowledge like it is a big secret that no one else should know about. If you want to see this in action, check out any of the couponing forums out there and look at all the downright nasty comments about the TLC Exteme Couponing show. There is this idea that if the secret gets out that everyone will be doing it and ruin it for everyone.

However, what these people (both in regards to CRH and extreme couponing) fail to realize is that because it can be a lot of work, most people won't bother trying. Of the ones that do try, many will be disappointed when they don't score any silver in the $4 in halves the teller at their bank had or even in that first box of coin and quit. Very few will stick with it long-term and create competition for us.

That said, I am not nearly as free talking about CRH to people I know as I am online, just because I don't want the inspire local competition. This is the same reason that I don't discuss where I hunt on the forum. I've told close family about my CRH activities, but that's about it. But wouldn't you know that of my family members I have told (most of which have seen my finds), none of them are CRHers now. They will just see my finds and go "wow, that's cool" and think nothing more of it.

Apr 2012
    4 times
    Scouring flea markets for old violins
    An observation:

I'm a newcomer to CRHing, having been doing it habitually since the middle of last year. However, I've been collecting coins since the mid 1980s. I would go through rolls periodically, having known for a long time that halves were the most likely source of silver.

Here's what I don't get--15 or 20 years ago I'd have considered the appearance of a 40% half to be a nice surprise and the surfacing of a 1964 half to be miraculous. The only "old" coins I would encounter in circulation--roll searches included--were 1938-1959 nickels with perhaps an odd Wheat cent. To me, silver coin was just something you had to buy from a coin shop if you wanted it. Ditto for early small size notes.

Now that I've gotten into CRHing, I'm amazed at what I've found and what is floating around out there. For those of you who were doing this regularly in the 1980s and 1990s, did you find your hunts to be considerably more productive? The few times I tried back then, the results were disappointing.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links