Whites DFX; Whites Sufe Master PI Pro
Yes John what is the insurance thing?

Happy New Year
Cat

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Yea this is bad news . I 'm hearing the f word (FEES) and limit's allot lately. I am worried by this article. I wasn't aware of it till I read this thread. but I am feeling the effects of it for shure.

I enjoyed the article and found it to be accurate and relative to my experience. And could see where CRH's would be miffed by it. It will definitely put a hurt on our hobby/passive income for sure. My opinion. Mostly because of the limits and fee's the bank's are imposing, not so much the newbie's But the newbie's are out there and they are gobbling up the treasure.

I will say this. My request for half dollars used to be met with "Oh thank God no one ever wants these things", to "whats all the fuss everyone is asking for them" or "we got a couple of guys ordering as many as 4 and 5 box's a week". and they rarely ever get loose ones coming in any more.

So did the article make a difference..... In my opinion..... Yes .Absolutely

How would you like it if you had to pay a fee to search a park, a beach, a school, a ski slope or limit your search area to a fraction of your norm or not allow it at all due to the sudden interest in your hobby????????

There is fallout from the increased interest in CRH. Is it the article or the rise in Silver price or both.???

:icon_scratch: :'( ::) ??? :-\ :o >:( :( :tard: :protest: :violent1: :clock:

CRH Mojo

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, I didnt realize this forum had their own club ( core members ). What do you consider those of us who have been doing CRH since 1980, but have only been puting up posts the last few months or so ? I am not new to the hobby, so i'm not a newbie - but only decided to start posting just for the heck of it - ( So i'm a newbie to posting ! ). I have also been metal detecting for 20 yrs. , & yes its way easier to find silver in the rolls than it is in the ground. Ron

S

seger98

That's it, I'm gonna call Cash & Treasure on the Travel channel & let them do a story on it, the way they "Stretch" the truth on finding treasures, there'll be thousands of CRHer's out there in no time & it'll all come to an end. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Silver_Fox

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 of course
seger98 said:
there'll be thousands of CRHer's out there in no time & it'll all come to an end. :thumbsup:
Looks like Pat has it right, check out his sign.............

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_10.jpg
    ScreenHunter_10.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 902

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both opinions are correct. Like everything else, if everyone and their brother starts doing it, it ruins it for everyone that has been doing it. On the other hand, it's a great hobby and can be quite a gift to pass it on to someone. Solution: Only tell the one or two people that you care about most and think will really enjoy it. DONT go spreading it to the world, wayyyy to many idiots out there with no respect

DiggerJosh

Tenderfoot
Jan 19, 2011
Wow...talk about bringing back the dead...4 year old thread...back to life.

Tell no one, what they don't know won't hurt them.

BillyOceansEleven

May 6, 2011
No kidding! I frequent several forums and I can't remember the last time I saw someone resurrect a 4-year old posting. But since it is back...

I regard CRH the same way I would extreme couponing. Like CRH, there are a lot of people who extreme coupon that guard their knowledge like it is a big secret that no one else should know about. If you want to see this in action, check out any of the couponing forums out there and look at all the downright nasty comments about the TLC Exteme Couponing show. There is this idea that if the secret gets out that everyone will be doing it and ruin it for everyone.

However, what these people (both in regards to CRH and extreme couponing) fail to realize is that because it can be a lot of work, most people won't bother trying. Of the ones that do try, many will be disappointed when they don't score any silver in the $4 in halves the teller at their bank had or even in that first box of coin and quit. Very few will stick with it long-term and create competition for us.

That said, I am not nearly as free talking about CRH to people I know as I am online, just because I don't want the inspire local competition. This is the same reason that I don't discuss where I hunt on the forum. I've told close family about my CRH activities, but that's about it. But wouldn't you know that of my family members I have told (most of which have seen my finds), none of them are CRHers now. They will just see my finds and go "wow, that's cool" and think nothing more of it.

kontrapunktus1750

Apr 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
An observation:

I'm a newcomer to CRHing, having been doing it habitually since the middle of last year. However, I've been collecting coins since the mid 1980s. I would go through rolls periodically, having known for a long time that halves were the most likely source of silver.

Here's what I don't get--15 or 20 years ago I'd have considered the appearance of a 40% half to be a nice surprise and the surfacing of a 1964 half to be miraculous. The only "old" coins I would encounter in circulation--roll searches included--were 1938-1959 nickels with perhaps an odd Wheat cent. To me, silver coin was just something you had to buy from a coin shop if you wanted it. Ditto for early small size notes.

Now that I've gotten into CRHing, I'm amazed at what I've found and what is floating around out there. For those of you who were doing this regularly in the 1980s and 1990s, did you find your hunts to be considerably more productive? The few times I tried back then, the results were disappointing.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
post Hunt Bro's silver was being hoarded still, even though the market had tanked people were still hoarding for the next run up IMO.....eventually it got tossed back or people died and it got tossed back, but anyway you slice it enough is still in circulation / still getting tossed back by the unknowing masses.

jarlbartar

Jan 3, 2012
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only people that I have told about it are my immediate family (wife & kids) and they are pretty blase about the whole thing. I think that most people have notions about what is actually in circulation, and about coins in general. Another thread on this boad - "What is the funniest things you have heard about coins?" or something like that. Most people think that all of the silver was melted down, all coins have silver in them, old coins arent legal tender any more.

Case in point - the other day at work I was talking about coins with another "collector" and I mentioned Eisenhowers. He laughed at me and said there has never been a large dollar coin. I simply said something like "I've got 10 of them sitting in my car right now." He even called in another "coin expert" for advice and he confirmed that the only dollar coin other than the presidentials was the SBA. To which I just shook my head and agreed with the coin experts. The less they know, they better off we are.

The other coin expert initiated a coin conversation later on and told me that most people who collect coins don't know the right way to do it; you need to focus on 1 coin at a time, and try to complete that "set" before you move on to a different one. He said he almost has a complete set of pennies. Again, I just shook my head, smirked and told him that I appreciated his expertise in the matter.

kontrapunktus1750

Apr 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Case in point - the other day at work I was talking about coins with another "collector" and I mentioned Eisenhowers. He laughed at me and said there has never been a large dollar coin. I simply said something like "I've got 10 of them sitting in my car right now." He even called in another "coin expert" for advice and he confirmed that the only dollar coin other than the presidentials was the SBA. To which I just shook my head and agreed with the coin experts. The less they know, they better off we are.

It ticks me off a bit that I have to resort to calling them "big" dollar coins, since requests for "Eisenhower dollars" invariably elicit grimaces and a disbelieving "Eisen-who?"

On the other hand, and slightly off-topic, one informed and customer-oriented teller told me he had "no Ikes" but pulled out a tray with a few Morgan and Peace dollars. He went through them, tossed the Morgans back, and handed me four Peace dollars with the admonition to "have them checked because [he thinks] they're silver." I appreciate the tellers who cull silver and are honest about it. Many of them are willing to part with some of the stock they've built up in their drawers and if not, they are often helpful sourcing other goodies.

I can't stand the tellers who have a stack of silver in plain view and make up weak excuses like "we're not allowed to give those out" or "I'm saving them for someone who's coming in later." I also understand that some people have established relationships with branch personnel, but the latter case had me particularly peeved because I'd been stopping by that branch religiously every week for about four months and the same teller told me she'd save halves for me but would never produce any when I would check in. She should have indicated either 1.) that she didn't *want* to part with the coins or 2.) that her branch was already someone else's searching grounds. She's getting a grand dump from me next week.

The other coin expert initiated a coin conversation later on and told me that most people who collect coins don't know the right way to do it; you need to focus on 1 coin at a time, and try to complete that "set" before you move on to a different one. He said he almost has a complete set of pennies. Again, I just shook my head, smirked and told him that I appreciated his expertise in the matter.

You have a lot more tact and patience than most people. That fellow probably thinks pennies didn't exist before 1959.

Last edited:

kennedyfan

Jul 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
Bank Tellers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is anybody else able to open the page that this topic links to? I just get an "internal server error" page.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
Haven't seen this thread for 4 years. Still have the magazine, and still miss LJ, who hasn't been here for a while now. And miss SIlver Fox too, who started the thread. He was the orignial person who was big on this site that died unexpectedly, long before Rich died. Is his brother still here from time to time? Saw some other names on the posts I haven't seen post for a while. KInda cool.

Oh, and the second person mentioned in the article - the newbie Ryan? Also gone. Wow, that was 4 years ago and almost all parties that were part of that thread or article are now gone. Bonnie left the board, Ryan disappeared, SIlverFox died. AMazing!

Good folks posted on this threat. Folks no longer here. Good to see it again. :-) Sad to see them gone, but good to see it anyway.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread