Question regarding proof Franklin Halves

patpall22

Jul 4, 2006
Carmel ca/ Big Sur ca
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, whites DFX, XP DEUS, etrac and sandshark
hey all,

I found these two halves in the same box. they are the same date and one is a d mint mark. I wanted to know if the Franklin proofs have a frosted face and mirrored backround like the Kennedy's do? when I found these, I thought they were fake because they were so glossy looking. If they aren't proofs, does anyone think they were cleaned?

Attachments

• gold rings 061 resized 3.jpg
    gold rings 061 resized 3.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 327
  • gold rings 063 resized1.jpg
    gold rings 063 resized1.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 318
  • gold rings 070 resized 2.jpg
    gold rings 070 resized 2.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 291
Upvote 0

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The one with the Denver mintmark cannot be a proof as they only made proofs in Philadelphia back then.

Regarding the coins being shiny, occasionally I will find a coin that has been dipped in silver cleaner as its shiny as can be but worn all over. Can't tell from the pictures what you've got for sure.

JackSparrow

Mar 1, 2007
patpall22 said:
hey all,

I found these two halves in the same box. they are the same date and one is a d mint mark. I wanted to know if the Franklin proofs have a frosted face and mirrored backround like the Kennedy's do? when I found these, I thought they were fake because they were so glossy looking. If they aren't proofs, does anyone think they were cleaned?

Hello Patpall22. I think they were cleaned. but what do
YOU...think?

cmhoose

May 2, 2006
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Yep. Probably cleaned. You would be able to see more of a smooth, mirrored finish on the background of the coin. Still a nice find though.

HH
Hoose

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread