Storing coins

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only deal with halves. I roll the 90% and 40% in separate rolls. When I get $1,000 or more worth of the 40%ers (about 20 rolls or $200 face value right now) I trade them at the coin shop and buy .999 silver bars and rounds. The 90%ers I just keep rolled up and stashed in a safe. The reason I wait 'til I have $1,000 or more worth before taking them in is, if you buy $1,000 or more in bullion, you don't pay any tax on it.

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
I just follow my nose!...where the silver and gold goes!
Minelab 5000, Goldmaster, and a few others
XRF spectrometer, Common sense.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dimes and nickels quarters, since I dont find many of them, I just put them in plastic tubes and keep them.

The halves, I do the same with until I run out of tubes, When it gets to be more than $250 face, I bag it. When I get a few bags and the amount is more of a liability and space taker, I send them in for melt, and make them someone else's storage problem, then put the money back into the business fund, and repeat.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
<<The reason I wait 'til I have $1,000 or more worth before taking them in is, if you buy $1,000 or more in bullion, you don't pay any tax on it.>>

really? Is that everywhere? Why $1,000??

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure if it's state or Federal.....I heard it was to encourage purchase of bullion. Don't know why they would want that either.

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
I use the hard plastic 2 x 2 inch squares to hold my coins. So far it is working out pretty good.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread