too many coin roll hunters.

bigtime400

Jan 27, 2007
the moon
I think with the silver price and articles about CRHing and this forum there are way to many coin roll hunters out there. I went to a bank I have been getting halves from. Its a new bank its been there for like 2 months. I have just been going there when I wanted a little extra change to go through. So its not my normal routine. I went there yesterday and the woman kinda skittishly told me she could only sell me $100 worth. I could tell she was kinda embarrassed to say so. I asked her why is that? She has said there were about 4 or 5 other people who wanted large amonts of halves every week. I said. Ohh its getting to be too much? She said... I guess.. it wasnt my decision. But anyway I just told her I would pass for now and that I didnt know she had so many people asking and that maybe I could come back in a couple months and get a box. She seemed cool with that. They were nice. I dont even have an accont there so I cant press any subjects I guess. It doesnt matter how little you take at a time or how nice you are to tellers.... If you get 10 other people doing the same thing as the same bank...... they are going to get pissed.

Upvote 0

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree. I have a bank that orders me 2 boxes every other week. I happened to go in there on my off week & ask if they had any halves. The teller told me she had ordered mine & they had to save what was in the vault for there other customers, who must be coin roll hunters. No one else goes into a bank looking for halves by the box. She then said to me " What is going on with everybody wanting half dollars ! " I just said there must be a lot of collectors these days. This bank is good to me though as they have been ordering for me for about 5 yrs. now, & I only do this in the off season when I cant metal detect. I dont have an account at this bank either. Hope I dont have to find a new one because of all the new requests they are getting for halves.

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
I just follow my nose!...where the silver and gold goes!
Minelab 5000, Goldmaster, and a few others
XRF spectrometer, Common sense.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well the more roll hunters there are and the more people post these Incredible finds, of course its going to marginalized out and down.
Soon hunting halves will be as productive as hunting quarters. yeah, some will happen and there will always be finds, just like the occasional roll of silver quarters that pops up.
but lets face it. All the attention has had an effect, and will continue to get worse.

The only way things are going to change is when all boxes are skunks for everyone as everyone has searched them all. And about 90% of the people give up, Of course it does not help with the higher prices people are able to sell them for a profit now as to just depositing them.
Like anything good, It will pass.

I just say, Enjoy what you can find while you can before its gone for good. Just like any limited resource, Trees, Good water, good farm land, Oil, attractive women, Gold, etc, IF you have too many people clamoring for a limited item, there just is not enough to go around.

OP
OP
bigtime400

bigtime400

Jan 27, 2007
the moon
maybe we should all exchange emails and talk amongst ourselves and quit the CRHing part of the forum. We can be underground.... sorta like the free masons. Only we can call ourselves the free rollhuntersons........... or something. We can have initiations and ever thing our symbol will be a short fat cylinder over a square or rectangular box. :wink:

OP
OP
bigtime400

bigtime400

Jan 27, 2007
the moon
ha! you probably got a point there.

Or maybe I could use it to my advantage and warn others that like to flatten tires and drive around in a beater putting dings in doors. I saw a guy driving his company truck... maybe I should tattle on him. Ill tell all the tellers this is my terf and flash them my CRHing gang sign. Hey were did that patrick earl go? I need to get some info on setting up a posse on my terf.

OP
OP
bigtime400

bigtime400

Jan 27, 2007
the moon
Man there seems to be tons of them lately! 2 banks have been added to the infultrated list..... a third went bad because of too many people asking for halves. Another bank said that they had a guy come in.... the teller thought he was with me as I am the only one at that bank. I told her no. Im going to have to get nasty to protect my territory. I told her I think I ran into him before and he isnt even from around here. I bet he doesnt have an account here either. She said. "I didnt even think about that....I just thought he was with you so I didnt ask". Desperate times call for desperate measures! hehehe.... :D Also if its the same guy he is driving his work truck doing it. So if you are out there.... dont make me call your company and tell your boss you are using your truck to Coin roll hunt. That will be hard to explain Ill have to use my phone camrea.

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What you probably mean is "too many half dollar hunters." From what I can tell from GMan and others, dimes, nickels and pennies are still plentiful and easily obtained, as are the great discoveries. There are plenty of collectible coins to be found but if you focus on just half dollars, like it seems most are, you're bound to drain the pool. Wheaties and buffalo nickels may not have the monetary gleam of silver but they give me just as much of a rush. Diversification, just like in stocks, is the key to CRH success.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
It's all true and becoming very competitive out there.

Today while at my dump bank, (and given that I've exhausted all my ordered boxes for the week) I asked the teller if she thought I could get a box of penny's, nickles and dimes. The manager was walking by and heard my request. So he stopped to explane that they were not selling boxes to just anyone who wanted them anymore. !????
He said if I did want to buy boxes of coin from them there would be a 10 cent per roll charge.!?? He than proceeded to explane that it cost them money to stock store and receive them.
I kinda smirked and said well hey if storage is a problem I will take all their coin boxes and I will only charge him 5 cents a roll since they were such a burden. (I said this with my charming smile of course.)
I went on to say that it was allright and that I would just buy them somewhere else. And thanked him for their coin counting service. "MY DUMP"
More fallout as evidence. Also last week another cold call I made was somewhat rejected by that bank. I asked for all the halves I could get. and the young teller went to see what was available and the head teller said I could get $100 I said OK and several minutes they returned from the vault carring machined rolled halves in their hands but the head teller went to her window with hers and mine produced The $100 they said I could buy, and I'm standing there with my jaw hanging to the ground. I told her that I said I would buy as many as they had and fanned out a fist full of C'notes. She said they were only allowed to sell $100 per costumer. NEW POLICY.
It must be a new policy I was there just a couple of weeks ago and bought over $800 worth (Someone elses rerolled dump) no problem that time. :icon_scratch: ??? :o >:(

Anyway times are a changing. After i left the dump site I thought about the strange charge he mentioned .10 a roll... 10 CENTS A ROLL!! >:(..... well a roll of penny's would cost me 60 cents ea. that's a 20% markup ???? Gotta be some kind of law against that one. like scalping or something. LOL

Canthey do that legally???

CRH Mojo

OP
OP
bigtime400

bigtime400

Jan 27, 2007
the moon
Like I was saying as much as I like this forum I think it does more harm then good.

I know what you are saying about deversifying. I enjoy going through pennies and nickles..... dimes are ok but no dates to look for really.... just silver. Hey there you go for all you guys who say you just do it for fun as a hobby why dont you switch to pennies and nickles because I do it to find silver!!
But yeah.... Im going to have to get nasty about it...... this is my territory. I got my camera, bananna for the tail pipe, some sugar, and 4 big thugs to drive around with me terrorizing people. haha!

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coinrollhunter said:
It's all true and becoming very competitive out there.

Today while at my dump bank, (and given that I've exhausted all my ordered boxes for the week) I asked the teller if she thought I could get a box of penny's, nickles and dimes. The manager was walking by and heard my request. So he stopped to explane that they were not selling boxes to just anyone who wanted them anymore. !????
He said if I did want to buy boxes of coin from them there would be a 10 cent per roll charge.!?? He than proceeded to explane that it cost them money to stock store and receive them.
I kinda smirked and said well hey if storage is a problem I will take all their coin boxes and I will only charge him 5 cents a roll since they were such a burden. (I said this with my charming smile of course.)
I went on to say that it was allright and that I would just buy them somewhere else. And thanked him for their coin counting service. "MY DUMP"
More fallout as evidence. Also last week another cold call I made was somewhat rejected by that bank. I asked for all the halves I could get. and the young teller went to see what was available and the head teller said I could get $100 I said OK and several minutes they returned from the vault carring machined rolled halves in their hands but the head teller went to her window with hers and mine produced The $100 they said I could buy, and I'm standing there with my jaw hanging to the ground. I told her that I said I would buy as many as they had and fanned out a fist full of C'notes. She said they were only allowed to sell $100 per costumer. NEW POLICY.
It must be a new policy I was there just a couple of weeks ago and bought over $800 worth (Someone elses rerolled dump) no problem that time. :icon_scratch: ??? :o >:(

Anyway times are a changing. After i left the dump site I thought about the strange charge he mentioned .10 a roll... 10 CENTS A ROLL!! >:(..... well a roll of penny's would cost me 60 cents ea. that's a 20% markup ???? Gotta be some kind of law against that one. like scalping or something. LOL

Canthey do that legally???

CRH Mojo

With the volume I was doing in boxes a couple years ago, I started to hear the f-word ( fee ) a little too often when trying to get a box of coins. Now granted I never have paid one, but that is one of the primary reasons I switched almost exclusively to bags. They have to pay to ship bags out so unless they have a bank policy against selling them or they reroll them in the bank, it is usually a win-win situation. I get the coins (and don't bring them back to the same bank), and they don't have to pay to ship them. Granted I occasionally am a bit short due to missorts and foreign objects and the like, but hey its still usually cheaper than the amount of gas I would burn to bounce around to a number of banks getting the equivalent number of boxes (assuming no fees) so no complaints from me. I also occasionally am a bit over, but not often.

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
I just follow my nose!...where the silver and gold goes!
Minelab 5000, Goldmaster, and a few others
XRF spectrometer, Common sense.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I wonder if $4 or $5 a gallon gas and all these policy changes as well silver being pulled by some companies. with all the competition and skunk boxes and poor results is going to have much of an effect on this?

srcdco

Dec 11, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox-800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last Friday, when I stopped at the bank to pick up my weekly boxes of coins, the teller told me that for the last month or so, she's been getting asked for halves 2 - 3 times A DAY. She said that it's getting annoying. Some have asked about ordering halves and she tells them that they have to buy them in $500 boxes, she won't break the box open. So far, I'm the only one getting them from there, as the others decline. She did say that if any more do want to order, she'll stop all of it. The problem is that she only has a certain amount of room in the vault for coin and it's almost full now. I can continue because I've been getting coin from them since 1989. She did say that the one thing that I would have to give up are the halves, since she can't order for me and tell others no. Who knows how much time I have left with the halves. The rest of the stuff is no problem because I trade with her, so she doesn't need extra.
It looks like we are becoming our own worst enemies. We talked too much about great finds and that has everyone thinking that they can make a lot of money fast. I don't think this site has been the big problem, but the article in Western & Eastern Treasures probably turned most of the additional people on to this.
I could tell that the people coming in and constantly asking was starting to bother her. I've also noticed that at other banks that I use, when I ask about halves they usually laugh. One teller told me that when they do get any in, they are gone within 24 hours. This is true even in the small towns. It needs to slow down to allow more stuff to enter the system. I don't think most of it is getting to the wrapping companies anymore because they aren't sitting in the banks long enough to be sent in.
A year ago, when I turned my rejects in, they were usually put directly into a plastic bag and returned to the money center. Now, they are putting them in trays and boxes because they get a lot of requests for halves. The good part of that is that it's taking longer for them to get back to the money center. I'm sure there are a lot of frustrated people when they get my rejects, as I dump them all over town. Maybe that'll make them stop sooner.

Scott

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread