Saturdays Box and attitude from a teller

wiedz

Jun 14, 2008
Iowa
Saturday's Box and attitude from a teller

I went into one of my banks branches today and ask for a single box of pennies and the teller gets an upset look on her face. Now I'm used to the annoyed "Your going to make me ask one of the other tellers if they have a box or go to the vault" looks that they give, but this was different. She asks me if its for a business to which I tell her its not. Then she asks me if I'm going to just look through them, to which I tell her I am. She sighs and glares at me before finally getting me a box. Over the last 6 months or so I've probably looked through 30-35 boxes and gotten all of them at this bank and never received this reaction before. Is this pretty much par for the course and can they refuse to give me the pennies? I'm only looking through 1-2 boxes a week so its not as if I'm running them out of pennies. Also what are my options if a teller does tell me no? I'm sure I could ask to talk to a supervisor but I get pretty nervous and anxious in confrontational situations.

Oh well the results were pretty good. About 30% of the box was copper.

5 Canadian: 1961, 1976, 1991, 1995, 2004

Wheats 11: 1936, 1940, 1948 S (2), 1950 D, 1952 D, 1953, 1956 D, 1957, 1957 D, 1958 D

Finally found a 1957. Couldn't believe that I hadn't found one yet considering the number of other wheats with lower mintages I'd found.

Upvote 0

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Saturday's Box and attitude from a teller

Are they ordering the boxes for you or are you just hoping they have some when you go in? If the latter, ask them to order for you so you won't use their supply.

STDevil

Jun 12, 2008

My thought: Tellers are free to behave however they want. I can appreciate the fact that they probably start to cringe when they see me coming, so I make it a point to be as accommodating as possible. If there are people in line behnd me, I move over to the chairs and just play with my Blackberry for a while, until the action dies down. If I make a request that results in some hesitation from the teller, I say "no worries, I just wanted to ask...I will be happy to take the X boxes of halves that you ordered for me and get out of your hair for the week!". I have yet to experience a nasty teller, but I am sure my time will come...

If a teller was to behave nasty towards me, I would try to engage with them one more time, or hope that I got a different teller next time. If that did not work, I would probably do my coin hunting at a different bank. I have the luxury of having accounts at a few different banks, so I do not think that this would be a problem logistically.

Stay the course...

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

In my experience a bag of treats (candy, tin of smoked sturgeon, salt water taffy, homemade cookies, etc) does wonders for the attitudes of tellers.

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
I just follow my nose!...where the silver and gold goes!
Minelab 5000, Goldmaster, and a few others
XRF spectrometer, Common sense.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

The polite pest works very well too. And not just in CHR.
Just be too darn nice and polite. Ned Flanders the hell out of them. Even if they are a grouch, people cant be angry at someone that agrees with them or is just supper nice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread