Can you really make any money doing this?

greencopper

Greenie
Jul 4, 2008
I have been reading the posts on this board for a few months now. But I have a question...Can you really make any money searching coin rolls? or are most here just collectors? It seems that once in a while, one of you find a nice coin or two. I am just wondering if it is worth investing as much time as it seems many of you here do. Thanks in advance for any replys!

Upvote 0

jersey devl

Mar 2, 2008
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro: Cortes,Tiger Shark,& Vaquero
No ...we dont do it for the money, we do it for the thrill. Its like metal detecting most times are just for a few cents but then you get a good day...if you're doing it for the money dont waste your time.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Some call it a "hobby", but for me and others here I would bet, it is more of an addiction. However, if you get lucky you can get some silver at face value. Don't quit your day job though to become a CRHer.

Jim

Jun 23, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
jim's right... addiction is what it is... we're really just a bunch of junkies looking for the thrill of a silver rim; and I dont know how many people are actually turning around and selling their finds. I take it most people are hoarding it, or giving it to grandchildren.

If we were to sell, i think most of us junkies would probably just about brake even in terms of cost (trasportation and time), and I cant imagine the time investment would pay that much better than minimum wage, unless of course you're finding gold ducarat coins in penny wrappers... That being said, some of the more hard core CRH'ers who bust their butts are probably getting a nice bonus out of it.

Scrap metal recycling is far more lucrative, but i guess you cant really do that sitting on the couch watching tv and there aren't too many hobbies that pay for themselves....

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its a fun hobby....but since im in disperate need of money it usually brings me at least $100 a month extra

STDevil

Jun 12, 2008
I do it to feed the thrill/addiction...it's just plain fun, but it does take a lot of time that I could probably spend on something else...

The finds go into a bag, and they'll hopefully just sit there forever.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I'll chime in and say that unless you are CRHing full time on a massive scale, you're not going to get rich. I got back into coin collecting/metal detecting after a 25 year lapse; and after the new year I found this monkey on my back that I cannot shake. My day to CRH is Friday and starts early, ends late. My other interests have gone south. My wife is fairly understanding, and sometimes I let the kids help. AMC

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I consider CRHing a hobby with two facets:

1) Finding collectible, but not necessarily valuable, coins in circulation, which I've been doing since the mid-80s.

2) Accumulating a nest egg of silver that also doubles as an inflationary hedge.

If you're curious about actual numbers -

In 2007 my net profit was just under [green]$900[/green] from silver. In 2006 it was over [green]$1,300[/green].

Yes, you can make money but you can't survive solely on it.

snake35

Jul 25, 2005
West Virginia
I am not a big time CRHer, but my pick up bank is right next to the scrapyard ( I only use scrapping money to buy boxes) that I go to a couple times a week. My dump bank is next to the house, so I do not have added gas expense. I have not sold anything yet, but it is nice to have something besides fiat currency on hand.

It would take alot of time and capital to make any serious money at it. You can have alot of fun though! Good luck.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
When you do large numbers and find large amount's you can't just hoard it. You have to unload it to feed the system that I have.

For instance If I were working with $1000 and that was all the money I had, and I order say 5 boxes a week.
I would pick up dump pick up dump and so on. Now if I find a lot of of keepers I'm cutting into my working capitol. So I need to unload some and use the profit to fund my purchases.

I only sell the scrap silver. I cant Imagine hoarding everything I find. My collection does continue to grow.

I do make some gas money on this "Hobby" LOL... If your finding stuff it might pay as much as a minimum wage job......

Mojo

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
Profit depends on time put in as well as the skill of the CHR'er. Just asking for rolls of any type of coin at your normal bank whenever you happen to be in the area won't make you rich.

But if you order multiple boxes from multiple banks every week... and get decent boxes, the silver starts to roll in. And there is always that magical hoard of grandpa's old silver coins lying around at a bank that you could hit just by asking for customer rolls, so luck plays a part as well.

It sure is fun and exciting though as a hobby/addiction.

I gamble as an addiction as well, so to put in perspective... CHR is MUCH better profit wise in the sense that it is a game that you CAN'T LOSE at! =)

~Dave

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 of course
coinmojo said:
If your finding stuff it might pay as much as a minimum wage job......
Woo Hoo, that will keep a feller in beans and bacon. I think I'll quit my day job. :thumbsup:
HH, S_F :icon_jokercolor:

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, my name is Brian and I'm an every day addict. ;D
I started with a few rolls, found a keeper and now try to find silver every day. Sundays kill me. I don't do more than five boxes a week, but now I added a bag of dimes a week to it and loose when I can get it. I hope to find coins that I don't already have, not many bens or walkers in my area though. Some day the dream box will happen.

OP
OP
G

greencopper

Greenie
Jul 4, 2008
Thank you to everyone who responded. This gives me what I was looking for....first collect for the thrill, then maybe I can make a buck or two! I am anxious to get started! Thanks again!

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
I work at this hobby almost everyday I am off. If I am not out searching I am researching where my next trip or pick up will be. I have done this for only 6 months or so but I have spent maybe 1,500 dollars on face value silver coins plus 600 to 800 on gas/food while I am traveling a bit. In this short period of time though I have accumulated 11,000 dollars in silver. Even if you round up the gas/food expenses to 1,000 that leaves me with 9,000 profit in 6 months. If I continue for the next 6 months at the same pace and have similar luck then potentially I can walk away with 18,000 in silver. Now I have hit some big scores with grandpa's collections etc. So I don't expect to keep on finding those often but Ya never know. Lj is pretty much a full time coin Roller hunter and she has made a very large profit I believe so far this year. So It is a great hobby and if silver climbs to significant levels it could bring you great profits. It all depends. For now It is my addiction and a way to invest for the future a bit. Thanks for the question.

-golden silver

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
I started CRH in the winter b/c i could not metal detect. However i found its a nice way for me to save alittle money. What i mean is i save my silver and have a good idea what its value is. When i need something IE, Books for school, work on the car, just need some cash i unload my silver. Although i do not break the bank i have sold about 1-2k in silver. Now mind you i do do it rather regularly so even if i had like 100.00 face in rolls that was alot. I just mostly sell when i need some quick cash. Its a rather nice way to save alittle and make alittle money. Saying that i also have to say i am somewhat of a collector b/c i keep all the 90%ers and all proofs. I wont sell those. I just onloaded 10 rolls of 40%ers and got 600.00 bucks for a 500.00 profit. If you want to take out even 100 for gas thats still a 400.00 profit. nothing crazy but nothing to shaby either.

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
I have been serious about this for the past 2 years, and I have made somewhere around 1200-1500 dollars in profit. Right now I am in the middle of a dry spell....last Friday's Brinks box turned up nothing, just like the previous 2.

So one could not EVEN survive on it, but yes, I call it armchair treasure hunting. I do not have time for Metal Detecting, though I would love to get into it, so CRH is the next best thing, as it only takes me 2-3 hours to go through a box, and I never have to leave my house to search for silver.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions