$100 in Nickels, $1,000 Quarter bag, and a mini road trip

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
Did the nickels last night. Was doing my normal 1 roll at a time and not finding many old nickels AT ALL. So for the last $30 in face I dumped them all out into one big pile so I could have a visual of how many were left to strain my eyes on, and low and behold right on top of the pile was a dateless Buffalo. Got my hopes up that there might be some good old stuff in there but nope... no war nicks and only hafe a dozen pre-60 stuff, but I can't complain about the Buff.

The road trip was a little shorter than my normal ones and much less productive. I still ended up with 6 - 40% and 1 90% though from it, and I managed to not cross state lines this time, though I did somehow manage to end up at a town I had hit up a month ago. It was quite the dejavu moment, and I was shocked to find out that EVERY bank had at least 1 teller that remembered me coming in... even though it was only once, and about a month ago. It was also surprising to find silver in teller trays that also had silver in them the last time I was there.

While towards the end of the roadtrip, I saw a bag of quarters and a bag of pennies on a cart behind the teller desk line and said what the hell and asked them where it came from (coin machine or customer rolls, etc.) They said customer rolls and when I asked if I could buy it the answer came back yes so I snatched it up. It was a bust though, and came back with one nickel, one 10 pence, half a dozen Canadian, and a South African 1s which appears to be my only shot at nabbing silver from the bag. If anyone knows if the coin has any silver in it I would appreciate it, couldn't find it online in my quick search. Front looks much like an old Canadian with the old style Elizabeth II on it while the back has a lady in a dress standing up and leaning on an anchor with the year 1960 above her head, the number "1s" under her feet and "South Africa" on the side of the coin on the left and "Suid-Afrika" on the edge on the right.

So at least I nabbed a little silver today. :P Hopefully a little more if that South Africa coin turns up silver for me. =)

~Dave

Upvote 0

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
your south africa coin is 5.6600 grams of .500 silver- congrats!

HH
-GC

OP
OP
BBcardsRI

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
Thank you very much for looking that up for me!

So at least the bag wasn't a TOTAL bust! =)

Hopefully it didn't short me too much though. Haven't checked that aspect of it yet. I might get some heat for this but I have no problem rolling them with 1 quarter short to make the bag worth an even $1,000 if it is in fact short.

It is only fair after all... since I paid $1,000 even in cash that I get $1,000 in cash back. ;)

~Dave

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BBcardsRI said:
Hopefully it didn't short me too much though. Haven't checked that aspect of it yet. I might get some heat for this but I have no problem rolling them with 1 quarter short to make the bag worth an even $1,000 if it is in fact short.

It is only fair after all... since I paid $1,000 even in cash that I get $1,000 in cash back. ;)

~Dave

Unfortunately, its that attitude that gives CRHers a bad name in the bank's eyes and makes them skeptical of dealing with rolled coin. I have had banks not accept a fed sealed box of coins I was trying to exchange (they were all brand new) for another one because someone had previously done something like that but shorted the rolls somehow...it only takes 1 to spoil it for a whole bunch. So be wary, if you are short it is part of the risk of buying a bag. A fed sealed box with a known amount is whole different deal and for that you can go back to the bank and complain (they in turn can complain to their armored service). But a bag is almost always going to be off (either high or low) and in my opinion access to buying the bags and having a reliable place to dump is much more important than a coin or two.

Think of it this way.. Is the 25 cents you save this time worth having to drive to a bank further away to dump every other time because the bank quits dealing with you because they think you're a cheat? Just in gas alone you'll probably easily spend more each time.

Next question.. Do you stuff extra coins in the rolls when there is more in the bag than the amount you paid? i.e. I only paid $1000 for this, so I should only get $1000 back. After all it is only fair.

OP
OP
BBcardsRI

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
good thinking gman

as far as putting extra, i've never been in the position where I have gotten extra =( I wish ;)

i actually don't have the patience to re roll them all anyway lol and will most likely dump them at my coin machine bank.

~Dave

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave, I think it all averages out in the end. Actually, I think we make out more often than not. I picked up a bag of dimes last week for $1000. When I dumped them, I got back $1022, plus the 11 silver dimes from the bag. When I get shorted, it's usually only a coin or three, so I figure I'm ahead of the game.
I also had a penny take the place of a half in a cwi roll last week. So, minus .49 for that box, and no silver to boot.

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 of course
BBcardsRI said:
Thank you very much for looking that up for me!

So at least the bag wasn't a TOTAL bust! =)

~Dave
Jeez, it'as just a quarter. Just toss one in and grin and bare it. :icon_scratch:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread