How to CRH in a town that has a monster hunter?

Fruitbat

Sep 24, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
The town I work in has a lot of banks for it's size. So when I started CRH I had no problem making my rounds and finding lots of hand rolled halfs to go through. Then the "CRH Monster" moved in to town. Seems like he hits every bank in town a couple times a week. Every time I go into a bank they either say "We just sold them all to a guy" or " We have almost $500 that someone just droped off". He reuses the rolls that come in the fed boxes.
So I started hitting the next town over. My luck picked up and silver was flowing again. Then he expanded to that town and it dried up except for his dumps. I aways use the coin machine at one of the local Credit Union as my dump bank. I try to spred it around to all of them in the area instead of using just one.
I did have one bank that he didn't use that I was getting 3-4 rolls every month or so. I went there yesterday morning and they said they had $400 in halfs. I took $300. When I opened it I found they came from his rerolled fed box. Funny thing was that on the the end of one of the roll was a half with "3/07" written with a blue sharpie. I did that when I thought marking coins I had gone through was a good idea. So he either got my dumps or they got recycled through the fed boxs. I took it next door to one of the banks he orders from and dump them. Maybe he'll get his rerolled dumps back...hehehe.
I like doing fed boxs as well as hand rolls. But I would like to find some hand rolls once in a while. I would love to meet this guy and figure out his routine. I have figured out that he orders from Wachovia most places and dumps at BOA or Sun Trust. But in some areas of town he orders boxs from Sun Trust and dumps at Wachovia.
Any one have any ideas on how to work around this guy?

Upvote 0

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 of course
Welcome to the world of CRH. If you figure it out, please post it. Us vets would like to know....LOL

Jun 23, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
If you wanted to have fun with him, you could do the following:

1) DUMP EVERYWHERE. clearly you know his routine.

2) USE OLD WRAPPERS, ( i think you can bake paper in the over to make it appear older. or at the very least cause a fire..) AND WHEN YOU DUMP, WRITE "WALKERS AND BENJIES" ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE WRAPPER. OR "BARBERS"

Should be pretty funny. Unless I come across them. Then I will be very upset.

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Michael Vegas Pennies said:

2) USE OLD WRAPPERS, ( i think you can bake paper in the over to make it appear older. or at the very least cause a fire..) AND WHEN YOU DUMP, WRITE "WALKERS AND BENJIES" ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE WRAPPER. OR "BARBERS"

HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!!! :D :D

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
I second the motion to mess with him. It won't help you get more handrolls, but it will make you feel better for having gotten back at him! =)

Save up the old looking rolls you get... maybe some of those old yellow ones and such, and then fill them up with clad and write stuff on the side that looks promising. Don't be TOO obvious with it. Perhaps just right a year on the roll... 1965 or something. ;)

~Dave

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
markmopar said:
or you could paint the edges on some junk clad and seed the rolls you dump for him to find.
There you go! Grab one of those paint pens in silver, paint the heck out of the edges of a roll of clad halves, then reroll them in an old wrapper. Of course, it could easily turn around and bite you in the butt further down the road, but at least it'll be fun for the first month or two.

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
I just follow my nose!...where the silver and gold goes!
Minelab 5000, Goldmaster, and a few others
XRF spectrometer, Common sense.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
IF someone is hunting that hard in an area there will be no stopping them. Even the annoyance gags will be looked over.
I have used the writing walkers or silvers on old rolls to deter smaller guys starting out, but if someone has a clue and does volume, they are there till they stop on there own accord.

Someone in my neck of the woods just popped up, I found his dump bank, and order bank. I found he was ordering 5k at a time from one bank, I asked if I could order 5k a week from them too, No problem.
So this bank will order 10k a week in halves.

Best part is, he will know about me this way.

Also, silver has been getting harder to find of late. Going through 20k worth a week is takings its toll on the results. Just getting what trickles in, and boxes are barren many times and silver is few and far between. One must order at least 5k in halves to get anything at this point.
So if you still find a bit here and there...consider yourself lucky, its not as bad as it will be in time

Going though 20k in halves a week usually has been only getting me a roll or two of 40s and maybe half a roll of 90s a week. Usualy most of them are in one lucky box. the rest are dry and stinky!

Just how it goes. With everyone being a CRH now. what can you expect?

OP
OP
Fruitbat

Fruitbat

Sep 24, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
BBcardsRI said:
I second the motion to mess with him. It won't help you get more handrolls, but it will make you feel better for having gotten back at him! =)

Save up the old looking rolls you get... maybe some of those old yellow ones and such, and then fill them up with clad and write stuff on the side that looks promising. Don't be TOO obvious with it. Perhaps just right a year on the roll... 1965 or something. ;)

~Dave

I think that is excactly what I'm going to do. I wish I had saved the wrappers I got the other day. I found three that someone had wrote 1965, 1967 and 65-69 on and that's what was in them. The wrappers were very worn. I could have used those.

I agree it won't stop him, but I'll feel better. And maybe if I dump a lot of my decoy rolls at 1-2 banks, he'll get tired of getting them and quit going to that bank. Maybe I can have a couple of them back....maybe

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 of course
Michael Vegas Pennies said:

Been there, done that.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Where are you located fruit bat? I might be the monster you are looking for? Is VA your area?

golden silver

OP
OP
Fruitbat

Fruitbat

Sep 24, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
golden silver said:
Where are you located fruit bat? I might be the monster you are looking for? Is VA your area?

golden silver

Close I'm in NC

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Yeah I have tried north Carolina and have not found much. Lot of crhers. The only luck I had was in Edenton but I still have not hit some of the bigger cities yet.

golden silver

OP
OP
Fruitbat

Fruitbat

Sep 24, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
golden silver said:
Yeah I have tried north Carolina and have not found much. Lot of crhers. The only luck I had was in Edenton but I still have not hit some of the bigger cities yet.

golden silver

I've tried my luck in some of the bigger cities here. Raleigh had mixed results. Greensboro didn't have much. I tend to do better when I take a ride through smaller towns. I've found that towns that are not close to I40 - I85 - I95 are usually better.

OP
OP
Fruitbat

Fruitbat

Sep 24, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
solariscool said:
Dump at his supply banks. Take the annoy his tellers approach.

I finally decided I'd had enough and did just that. I went to one bank that I know he dumps at and they said they had $360. I want to have $500 in halfs so that when I turned them in to the bank he orders halfs from. My thinking is that they would order 1 less box for him sinc they already have one. I ended up having to go to another bank to get the full $500. I went in and told the teller that I'd like to cash them in. She had the look on her face like she didn't want them, but I just smiled. I figured they wouldn't take them if I didn't have an accout there, so I made sure I had my card. Just as i thought "We can't take these if you don't have an acoount with us". I said " I do' and showed my card. Then she said " Well that's ok, we have a guy that has us order these for him, I'm sure he'll want these". I bit my lip and took my cash and headed out. I will be doing this a lot more offen.

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
Here is what I did. There is a small town with a half dozen banks in it that appear to get checked almost on a daily basis by this CRH er. It was not hard to figure out which banks were his dumps. I gave up seaching in this town but had two grand in halves that I had to dump so I dumped them at one of his pick-up banks. I thought the tellers were going to have a fit when I brought in that much coin. Much to my amazement they were happy to get the halves because they have a collector that comes in daily looking for halves. I told the tellers(they were young) that this collector will be very happy because these halves were found hidden away in my Granny's attic and are pretty old. Being a grandfather myself my grandmother would be,like 114 years old,but they bought the story. One of the tellers was counting the rolls while the other teller got on the phone and called the CRHer up to tell him about the amazing treasure haul that had just arrived. I collected my money and left.
Three weeks later I had returned to this bank and got silver for the first time. Tiried it again last week and got some silver once again.
It appears that the guy that they called bought my dump and quit going to this bank.

phrostie

Dec 3, 2008
Nap Town
haha good one Rich.

Stuff around my area, although quite large, has dried up as far as hand rolls go. I haven't had much luck on any road trips recently either. So I just upped my box orders, and the coins continue to flow. I haven't been getting skunk boxes recently (knock on wood) so fed rolls continue.

I'd say keep it up Fruitbat and you may find the same results as Rich.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread