Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Can't really tell.....I went to this site and looked at the ragged one they had featured and it look's pretty close.I took a pic of the edge as best I could. http://www.jimscoins.net/error_coin_examples.php ,still unsure.I found some pretty decent coin's this year so I started digging out some of the one's in the past to put into a binder.If you notice,and I did too you see a flat spot opposite the 'Clip" (on the rim) and you also see the flat spot opposite the one pictured in the link.....Is this the "norm" for this or are they both the victim's of a bad haircut.Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.....This one has stored away in the darkness for the last 3 year's so it doesn't really matter the outcome......Thank's for looking and your opinion.....

Attachments

• PB300001.JPG
    PB300001.JPG
    20.2 KB · Views: 347
  • PB300009.JPG
    PB300009.JPG
    24.9 KB · Views: 344
  • PB300011.JPG
    PB300011.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 359

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
That is post-mint damage in my opinion. A clipped planchette will have a rounded edge to the cut.

Weeellllll, it appears I was off a bit, LOL! Judging from the other responses. Never have seen a straight clip before! Learn something new every day, heheheh! :D

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a very nice example of a straight clip planchet. There are generally three types of clips, curver (most common), straight and ragged edge. The ragged edge comes from looking at it from the top, not the side. Instead of a curved or straight clipping, the clip will be ragged. One way I can tell yours is the real thing (and this also goes for the curved clip). Look at the opposite side of the clip. You will see the rim is flat looking. That is one way to tell if it is the real thing (the opposite side of the rim will be relatively flat), or if it might have gotten hit by a mower or something.

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
a die clip will have a rounded edge. An edge clip can be any shape but usually straight. I once found a ragged clip dime in a proof set and it sold for over $2000 to a major proof set dealer. I had bought a stack of cheap proof sets at a flea market and had it for years before i looked at it. I was verifying the date before i shipped it out to the new owner. It brought a heavy premium because proof coins are supposed to be individually inspected before being shipped out. There are not suppossed to be any major errors inside a proof set. I think a home made clip would have a straighter edge and not be so ragged. siegfried schlagrule

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Siegfried Schlagrule said:
a die clip will have a rounded edge. An edge clip can be any shape but usually straight. I once found a ragged clip dime in a proof set and it sold for over $2000 to a major proof set dealer. I had bought a stack of cheap proof sets at a flea market and had it for years before i looked at it. I was verifying the date before i shipped it out to the new owner. It brought a heavy premium because proof coins are supposed to be individually inspected before being shipped out. There are not suppossed to be any major errors inside a proof set. I think a home made clip would have a straighter edge and not be so ragged. siegfried schlagrule
Wow, I imagine you were pretty excited to find that proof error. I am attempting to make several sets of clips found in circulation (penny thru half of single clips, same with double clips, and same with triple clip), and have yet to see any errors from proof coins (found in circulation or still in a proof set). Awesome find!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I agree with a "home made" clip having a straighter edge. Again too, the flat rim on the opposite side is another indicator that it is the real deal.

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
Looks like a ragged clip to me. I have a few curved clips now and have sold a few ragged clips in the past.
If I were buying I would buy that as a Mint Error / Ragged Clip.

VPR

OP
OP
civilman1

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
wayne1956 said:
Siegfried Schlagrule said:
Wow, I imagine you were pretty excited to find that proof error. I am attempting to make several sets of clips found in circulation (penny thru half of single clips, same with double clips, and same with triple clip), and have yet to see any errors from proof coins (found in circulation or still in a proof set). Awesome find!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I agree with a "home made" clip having a straighter edge. Again too, the flat rim on the opposite side is another indicator that it is the real deal.
Here's another Pic from the top Wayne....Any idea on the value of it....Not that it's for sale,but would like to know what these thing's are going for.Thank's to everyone's reply's.....Merry Christmas!!

Attachments

• PC010002.JPG
    PC010002.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 276

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread