Cleaning copper coins

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
This is not a joke! Taco Bell sauce works! Or ketchup. Maybe its the vinagar in it. Try it on an invaluable copper coin and tell me what happens. You can also use electrolysis.

bula

Mar 13, 2008
southern utah
Detector(s) used
White MXT
The best way I have found is in a rock or case tumbler. I got the recipe from one of the forums. In a tumbler use a cup or two (depending on the size of the tumbler) of the small white rocks that u use in a fish tank. add 1 tablespoon of ammonia and a teaspoon of dish soap. I use a brass cleaner & add a little water it seems to make the coins move better. This will clean copper & silver back to almost new condition. I do all the copper then the silver, & in my tumbler it takes about two hours but everything comes out looking great.
For those real dirty ones I just put them aside & put them in with the next batch.

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
From the place/people I hunt with in Colchester, Essex, UK.

Daryl

Grotty coppers and tokens - Normally discarded as too rough to ID. Arkansas Gary brings me a polish called Loc PLUS. It is made in the USA ( not available over here) and comes in a big tube, it works like magic on cruddy green coppers and tokens as it is like a fine white grinding paste to highlight the detail. It is not available in some states as guys have had real difficulty finding it. There are other metal polishes available in the UK that will do a similar job. Use this polish with the soft pad on a Dremel to highlight the detail on the coin.

Texas John has sent me more information on the elusive Arkansas Gary's metal polish for copper coins. I have shown a before and after photo of how this can be really useful for cleaning usually discarded copper grots.

I found a web site for the metal cleaner Loc PLUS . The reason people can't find it in the stores is because it is not sold in stores. It is an Amway product and is sold by persons with an Amway dealership, kind of
like Avon and other types of home businesses.

John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread