I sure could use some direction
This is truly an honest request for advice to move what I have
Brady

jasper62

Feb 8, 2009
Georgia
Detector(s) used
BH pioneer 202 / garrett ace 250
Why not list them on here first for a few days? I'm sure you have an idea of there value.Coin shop and especially pawn shop won't give you much.I don't know much about EBay.Sorry I couldn't help more.Good Luck with you're Quest
Pat

S

seger98

First let me say I'm sorry to hear about your business.

second I wish I was a little closer to you to take a look at what you have as I buy & sell coins. If you need the money quickly a coin dealer might be the way to go, but PLEASE educate yourself on excatly what you have so you don't get burned, you can pretty much figure 30% less then what your collection is actually worth.

If you don't need the money quick ebay might be the way to go to get a better price but then you'll have the FEES on there, got to figure that into it. Good place to do some reaserch.

Is there anyone that you could sell them to with a contract that you can buy them back from? I mean you are more or less loaning the money from the person with the understanding that you can buy them back at a set price but after a certain amount of time the coins would become theirs to sell if they wish? I've seen alot on here where someone has sold something that they wish they could get back and that why I mention that.

You could also put them for sale here on Treasure Net. That way you can set your price & see where that goes.

Hope this helps, Chris

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
I have really good luck on ebay. My opinion is to steer away from the local coin dealers if you can.
I agree also with listing them here.....

I buy a fair amount of coins myself. I can direct anyone to my ebay store to view my feedback if needed.

However you do it... GOOD LUCK!

VPR

OP
OP
bradyboy

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe I should test the waters here, so to speak
as I have said, i didn't know we could offer stuff for sale here
Can you send me the link or point me in the right direction?
Again, no panic but I'm getting there.
Brady

hyperion

Jun 26, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX E Series
bradyboy,

Sorry to hear about your predicament. To directly answer your question ... EBay hands-down. You will end up paying between 10~12% on fees, but if you set your auctions up for maximum effect, you'll probably realize at least 25% more than if you sold them elsewhere. People are just plain nuts on EBay (I'll include myself here too ::)) Silver bullion and gold are getting moon money there now. Your local dealer would probably offer just over melt. Listing them on EBay (no I'm not affiliated with them in any way and I do have a few issues with them) puts your stuff in front of thousands, or ten of thousands of potential buyers. Frankly, no other listing would get you that kind of audience.

There are some things you need to do to maximize you potential return. This includes good pictures, all-inclusive title, listed in the proper categories, reasonable shipping fees, a low start with no reserve (don't worry, you will get the right kind of bids on Eagles and gold), and a strategic end time. If you've never listed there before, it can be a bit cumbersome. Once you have your first one done the rest are just cut and paste to the boilerplate.

I sell my duplicate coins and bullion there. I do a minimum 5-day listing, usually 7-day, and have it end around 9pm Eastern on a Saturday or Sunday night. Others have told me Thursday night works too. I start the auctions at .99 with no reserve and offer free shipping (usually costs me no more than $2 for a single coin). You may want to charge for the Eagle rolls. Take a look at your listing when it's posted and be sure to correct any mistakes.

EBay now requires use of PayPal (so they can reap more fees). If you want to entertain other options of payment, put the following in the body of your text "EBay requires the use of PayPal for payment. Please contact me if you require clarification on this policy". When contacted, tell the potential buyer what options you will entertain. Remember, once the auction has closed that communication is the key to happy campers.

Good luck bradyboy!

GPURS

Apr 18, 2007
N.E. of Atlanta
Interesting Hyperion.. I have never messed with Ebay, but always hear people complain about it. Of course the people that complain never really spell it out as to why they don't like it. I may consider selling some stuff on Ebay at some point, and your information will be quite usefull. Thanks,,, Gpurs.
Oh Bradyboy, you may consider Craigslist, or even your local newspaper. I have sold some stuff quickly and efficiently this way :thumbsup:. Good luck, Gpurs...

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
when you go to ebay you can check the completed auctions for
similar items to what you want to sell. Search for silver eagle rolls.
From there you will know a price range that your items should bring.
If you are happy with that price range study the two ads that brought
the highest price for those items. do what they did. if they had photos -
you have photos. If they took paypal make sure you take paypal. No
auctions should be run for less than seven days and they should end on sunday
to contact the most viewers. My ebay feedback is nearing 2000 positives.
Newspaper ad should say something like "Tired of your market losses?
Now is the time to diversify. Absolutely highest purity precious metals
for sale for a limited time period in limited quantities. The pieces will be
sold for cash in a public place or bank in ______________ for your protection.
Don't delay - when we have solved our liquidity problems no more will be sold."
good luck, siegfried schlagrule

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread