Never Really Was Identified...

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The inset shows the Madonna (Magna Mater) and child (Jesus) ; the basilica to the right is the Mariazell Basilica (or in English the Basilica of the Birth of the Virgin Mary); the most important pilgrimage destination in Austria and one of the most important in Europe.

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this a common type "attachment" or rare? Any idea what it is worth? Who or what entity would "attach" this to the coin?
Thanks
Scott

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Scott:
My uneducated guess:
The attachment showing the 'Magna Mater' and the basilica at Mariazell may have been a souvenir for pilgrams visiting the basilica or the town itself. Other coins of Austria include the Magna Mater, but I never found one that also includes the basilica.
Politically, Austria became a republic in 1918, and except in 1934 when a "corporative totalitarian" regime was established, nothing of political note happened there until 1938 when the German Third Reich took control--and I doubt if Hitler advocated the modification of the coin as you see it.

Also, since there are no words, letters or symbols on the 'addition', I believe it advocates what, to me, seems more probable; a religious souvenir.
Don....

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don,
Thanks. After staring at it and thinking about your comments, it makes perfect sense to me now. I had just never seen anything like that before. Again, thanks!
Scott

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread