HELP With silver dollar question.

Cherryman68

Feb 19, 2009
Henderson Tx
Detector(s) used
Whites IV
OK guys I know there are a lot of counterfit silver dollars out there so I need some advise. A guy contacted me today that a friend of mine told I was into coins. he tells me about the Silver dollar his dad left him and he is going through divorce needs the money blah blah blah. Well I talk to him several times today and he does not seem like he would pass off a counterfit on pourpose but then again he didn't know anything about coins so he may not know any better.

It's a 1921 Peace dollar. (simi-key date) The description was good and this is the picture he sent me. (below) Seems almost in too good of shape. So my question is this deal of a life time or rip off central.

What should I look for when I examine the coin in person to tell if it is a counterfit? Any help/advise would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael

Attachments

• !!!dex.jpg
    !!!dex.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 259

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it's a morgan, not a peace dollar. hard to tell from that picture but is sure looks like it could be a replica/silver round

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely a Morgan, looks to me like it is polished. If so it is worth no more than silver price.

OP
OP
Cherryman68

Cherryman68

Feb 19, 2009
Henderson Tx
Detector(s) used
Whites IV
Wow I feel like an idiot it is a morgan! My main concern was the fact it looked polished to me also. So that makes it worth silver value? Bummer. Might try and get it anyway have a friend that would love it! Thanks for the help everyone!

tinkb

Feb 12, 2005
Salem Ohio
If you get a change post a better picture of it. I worked with your photo a little and it does appear to be either polished or a round. Hard to tell anything really from the poor picture he sent you. A better one would give more to examine and give you advise on. Let us know how your deal turns out.

OP
OP
Cherryman68

Cherryman68

Feb 19, 2009
Henderson Tx
Detector(s) used
Whites IV
I talked to the guy and offered him $15 ( he admitted it was polished) he was not as pleased to find out about the lower value. So for now this deal is dead. Thanks guys I appreciate all the input and advise!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
polished is ok if your buying for silver value
but not for collector value unless
it's a rare million dollar coin.

RonPaul2012

Greenie
Apr 16, 2009
l.cutler said:
Definitely a Morgan, looks to me like it is polished. If so it is worth no more than silver price.

So polished coins are worth less than tarnished ones? Forgive me I am new at this.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Polished coins are worth way less than tarnished ones. Original surfaces are very important to collectors.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RonPaul2012 said:
l.cutler said:

So polished coins are worth less than tarnished ones? Forgive me I am new at this.

Yep This is True

You clean them you Give the dealer
reason to say it's Damaged.

Of course Most dealers will also
call Tarnish Damaged

After all they need a reason to Cut their Buying Price.

But cleaning is the most used reason.

And Polishing old coins is so Wrong
on So many Levels, Not even collectors will touch
them. Unless like I said, it's a Million Dollar
coin in the first Place And no other one to Buy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread