What would you sell silver coins for?

treasuredog

Oct 21, 2004
Leetonia Ohio
Detector(s) used
minelab xterra 70,whites xlt,minelab quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I sold my silver coins or trade them,what are they worth? Roosevelt dimes(what times face),Washington quarters?(face),common mercury dimes(how much each),same with barber dimes,barber quarters,standing liberty quarters,walking liberty halfs,and barber halfs.(how much each). I have a 1918d walking liberty(vf). I cant see selling some coins at face! Im not trying to make this difficult,just trying to be fair. What do you think?

Corpsegrinder

Oct 21, 2008
Magnolia AR
Detector(s) used
(2)Minelab E-Tracs, 12x10 SEF's, Sunray X-1 Probes, & an arsonal of coils. Excal 2, Tesoro Golden Sabre+
Well if it was me i would look at the details. VERY detailed coins XF and up i would ask a little under book. but problem with that is most will be common dates but liek the coins i have for instance. 10% above melt value is pretty fair.. you can find out the silver value of each coin at www.coininfo.com they have prices for all silver/gold coins

Just depends on finding the person lookin for exactly what you have..

Ebay is a great place to sell common silver. but the fee's are crazy high..

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
ok at melt silver value --- first you need to know the "real" amount of silver in the coin by weight --- since the coins are only 90% pure and silver is sold at 999 fine per troy oz.

to find out the fair street value at melt take the current price of silver --(it can be found under "metals" above click on it)--- lets use $12 for right now

so take $12 x the silver oz weight of the coin (known as ASW --actual silver weight)

for all "silver" dimes due to 90% silver content figger roughly 7 cents per $1 of the current spot price of silver since they have -.0724 (a bit less than 1/14 th of a oz of silver in them ) ---so 12 x .0724 = .8688 cents --rounds to --.87 cents

for silver quarters --- figger 18 cents per dollar of the current spot silver price ---due to the wieght of silver in them----.1809 (about 1/6th of a oz) ---so 12 x .1809 = $2.1708 --rounds to $ 2.17

for halves 90 % up to 1964 * figger 36 centsper dollar of spot silver ---since they .3618 oz of silver in them
so $12 x .3618 = $4.3416 --rounds to $4.34

for 1965 thru 70 halves --40% silver coins -- 14 cents per dollar ----silver weight is .148 of an oz --so 12 x .148 = $1.776 rounds to $1.78 ) note 40% are hard to sell most scrap dealers don't like the due to low silver % content

for fast and dirty rough ball park -- once you know the spot price of silver --dimes 7 cents per dollar , quarters 18 cents per dollar , 90% halves 36 cents per dollar 40% havles 14 cents per dollar --of the current spot silver melt price due to thier silver weight

if your selling any coins $ below scrap your getting beat bad.

coins in good shape might bring more as a collectible than for scrap but its had to get coin dealers to pay more than scrap prices -- since the differance between them buying at scrap and selling as a collectible is their profiet margin.

OP
OP
treasuredog

treasuredog

Oct 21, 2004
Leetonia Ohio
Detector(s) used
minelab xterra 70,whites xlt,minelab quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys! now i got something to go on ;D

LemonThrower

Jun 23, 2008
if you go to coinflation.com, you can get a rough estimate of the value of silver coins.

right now melt value is over 12X. However, the price ran up fast and there is a lot of supply so if you sold to a dealer you would be lucky to get 10X.

At yesterday's prices, i would offer you 11.5X face for 90% and 4.5X face for 40%. Also, 3.5x face for wheats. Send me a pm if you are interested.

p.s., about 9 months ago, silver was in short supply and I paid $2 over melt per ounce for 90% silver. That was highly unusual, just pointing out that the market fluctuates a lot.

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
It will top out at the highest level ever on the friday before the next presidential election on 20 november 2012 or there abouts. I predict.
Folks are scared and it will only get worse until we know who the
next president will be. siegfried schlagrule

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You got some excellent info here. I would only add that at this point the only thing I would sell silver coins for would be gold coins/bullion. Perhaps in the near future the only thing I would sell silver for would be ammo or food if I were not to have those items. Unless you need the money to survive or to pay down debt I would think about holding that silver for a while longer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread