• az tax token.jpg
    az tax token.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 1,901

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Schimmel's U. S. State-Issued Sales Tax Tokens shows this as #AZ-6 with dates of 1946-48.
John in ID

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
R

Rhondatay19

Tenderfoot
Jun 27, 2009
thank you both for your responses. this was good information. i have emailed the website to see if they happen to know the date of the token. we did see the one like we found on their site, so they probably won't need our picutre, but you never now.
have a great day!
Rhonda

OP
OP
R

Rhondatay19

Tenderfoot
Jun 27, 2009
BTW..... when you find these treasures, are you supposed to clean them up or keep them in the condition you find them?
How do you clean up old copper & brass?

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Did you miss the dates I put in my post above?

As for cleaning - that one doesn't look like it needs any. In any event, cleaning can ruin any value a coin, token, or medal might have if done improperly. There are lots of posts on this forum about good techniques.

John in ID

tinkb

Feb 12, 2005
Salem Ohio
I agree with John on this one. That token look to nice to clean up. Any attempt to make it any shinier would just hurts it value IMO. Nice find also, I like finding those old tokens.

cwtokenman

Jul 14, 2009
In Malehorn and Davenport's "United States Sales Tax Tokens and Stamps: A History and Catalog, this token is identified as AZ-S6. It has an R-1 (very common) rarity rating.

There are 3 minor strike varieties:

AZ-S6a - There are thick letters and a rounded numeral on the reverse.
AZ-S6b - There is a partially rounded, partially flat numeral on the reverse.
AZ-S6c - There are thin letters and a flat numeral on the reverse.

I think Schimmel's made an error on years of issue. Schimmel indicates next to the photos that years of issue for that design were 1937-1945, then does not indicate and years of issue for the copper variety and shows 1946-48 for the brass variety. ??? Not sure how that can be.

Malehorn and Davenport list the copper version as being struck from 1937-1942. Your brass variety is listed as being struck in 1945-1946 at a mintage of 550,000, and these tokens were made by the Osborne Register Company. They also note that Gordon Jones of Phoenix, Arizona bought a hoard of 200,000 AZ tokens when the state discontinued use of them, so additional varieties may be waiting to be discovered.

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumright: awsome lookin token I live here an have never found one of those , wtg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread