Ancient Coin ID needed

hnieman

Tenderfoot
Feb 17, 2008
I had a couple ancient coins ID'd here a while ago and I just came across another tucked away with some of my American silver coins. My ancinet coin ID skills obviously suck since I spent quite a bit of time trying to ID this one with little luck. I'm pretty sure it's Roman maybe in the the 100A.D. to 200A.D. range because I saw designs similar to the back of this one in that range.

I beg of you mighty coin masters, please take a shot at ID'ing this. It simply bugs me not being able to place a name to a face.

Attachments

• an1.JPG
    an1.JPG
    415.5 KB · Views: 226
  • an2.JPG
    an2.JPG
    418.4 KB · Views: 228

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

wagbert

Mar 29, 2008
Lucius Aelius Aurelius Commodus -- Caesar 166-177 A.D., Augustus 177-192

Van Meter 193, The denomination is called an "As" and made from copper or a copper alloy. As a basic unit, there were 16 asses in a silver denarius. This coin was issued in 175 A.D. by Marcus Aurelius to commemorate his son and heir apparent Commodus associating with the College of Priests. The reverse shows the priestly implements used in sacrifices . The obverse has the bare headed bust of the young Caesar facing right. A new issue would have weighed approx. 11 grams, and would have been 24-28 mm. in diameter. A similar denarius would have been made of good silver with a weight of 3.5 grams + or - .3 grams, and about dime sized at 19 mm. There were so many irregularities at the mints that the ancient coins were seldom made to consistent standards.

By the way, if you see a nice condition ancient Roman gold Aureus advertised on an on-line auction, it had better weigh 7.5-7.8 grams. The Aureus and the denarius are about the same size and sometimes share similar designs, but gold is almost twice as heavy as silver, and I have see gold plated denarii offered for sale as aureuii.
GOOGLE-- Commodus He went mad you know. He believed he was the reincarnation of Hercules. Eventually he was assassinated because his antics became so ridiculous .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions