1921 Silver dollars.......

dustbuster

Nov 10, 2008
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
I read on here that 1921 is a key date. I recently saw 6 that my friend had inherited from her mother, along with 19 other dollars dated from 1900 to 1934.
How do I know if any are really valuable? I found some websites with coin prices, but don't know which ones are the best ones.
Also, the Eisenhower dollar? She had about 8 of them. Are they 40% silver? Are they worth saving?
Thanks for the help.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
The year 1921 saw two different silver dollars. The Morgan was minted for most of the year and is probably one of the most common silver dollars. The Peace dollar was minted in the end of November and December. Consequently, there were very few that rolled off the presses. Obviously, the 1921 Peace dollar is the one you want to have. Some of the Ikes were 40% and were minted in San Francisco. They were issued in a business strike and proof in the 40% silver.

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That year there were two a Morgan and a Peace .. It is the last year for the Morgan and the first year for the Peace.. The Peace is the more valuable one as the first year it was only minted in high relief..
Ikes with the s mintmark can be clad or silver from 71-74, but with difference in weight of two grams.. Clad weight is 22.68 grams and the silver is 24.59...Value is based on condition of the coin, so if you post photos of them, someone here can give you an approximate grade..
Hope it helps..
Ray

OP
OP
D

dustbuster

Nov 10, 2008
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
What I have found so far says that the Eisenhower that was minted in Sacremento is the only one that is 40% silver. The ones I have are D.
My friend probably has the Morgan dollars from 1921......I'll have to go over and see. Call me stupid, but they all looked alike to me. How do I tell the difference?

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
dustbuster said:
What I have found so far says that the Eisenhower that was minted in Sacremento is the only one that is 40% silver. The ones I have are D.
My friend probably has the Morgan dollars from 1921......I'll have to go over and see. Call me stupid, but they all looked alike to me. How do I tell the difference?

Surely, you meant San Francisco with regards to the Ikes. The reverse of the Morgan will feature an eagle with wings spread. The reverse of the Peace will feature the eagle perched on a rock inscribed with the word Peace. You will know it when you see it.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best of luck with the coins.

Attachments

• 1921 Morgan.JPG
    1921 Morgan.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 222
  • 1921 Peace.jpg
    1921 Peace.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 234

TURNMASTER

Oct 13, 2009
Spokane WA
Detector(s) used
X-terra 705, Explorer SE, & At Pro
Go get yourself a copy of coinvalues magazine that should help with ballpark values. Just don't think your coins are nicer than they are, or worse for that matter. Do a little research :read2:

God Luck
Jeff

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread