Best coin I ever nabbed on eBay...

wyatt earp

May 13, 2009
Treasure is....where treasure is. While I love digging coins, and did pretty well this year, the chances of ever digging this one are somewhere between slim and none. Just 7500 of this one minted, and it's been estimated that around 200 is all that's left of the original mintage.

This coin cost me less than 2 tires for my car did.

It's at NGC as we speak....or maybe on its way back by now.

Earp

Attachments

• 18501.JPG
    18501.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 1,127
  • 18502.JPG
    18502.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 1,152

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let us know what NGC has to say about it!

cillosis

Nov 3, 2005
Norfolk, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT/White's Prizm 5
That's just simply amazing. Normally there is a wide enough variety of collectors on Ebay watching auctions that it is hard to get a coin even a little below value. One time I did manage to buy a Standing Lib Quarter, it was advertised as just a 1927 with a blurry picture so I took a chance and paid like $4.00 for it. When I got it, I was pleasantly surprised to find a 1927-S in at least VF condition. Yours trumps mine by a long shot though! Congrats :hello2:

OP
OP
W

wyatt earp

May 13, 2009
Even though it was listed in antiques rather than coins....it was only up for 15 minutes before I spied it. I was the 3rd person to look at the listing, and the seller might have represented the first 2 hits on the counter.

It was a "buy it now" listing.

Earp

cillosis

Nov 3, 2005
Norfolk, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT/White's Prizm 5
Nice. Gotta love it when people list things wrong, especially something as awesome as that.

Coinkid

Jul 11, 2006
Sarasota, FL
It looks like it has nice details, but it's been cleaned rather harshly and won't come back in an problem-free NGC holder in my opinion. I really like the coin a lot though! :icon_thumleft:

-Paul

OP
OP
W

wyatt earp

May 13, 2009
This coin's not been cleaned. I submitted it through a prominent coin shop who would have advised me not to bother submitting it had that been the case, and his opinion was that it was a completely original coin, worthy of the trip to Florida. While I can see what would make a person think that it had been cleaned....it's just the incandescent lighting imparting that impression.

I'll post pics of the slab when it gets back....just a few more days I would imagine.

Earp

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I love it....now I am on e bay lookin.

OP
OP
W

wyatt earp

May 13, 2009
There are normally near a half a million coin listings on ebay....so there's always a deal waiting to be made. I bought this 20 cent piece that the seller graded as G-4. It's obvious to me that it grades closer to F-VF. The thing about the 20 cent pc that throws people when grading, is that unlike all of the other seated coins, the word liberty is raised rather than being incuse.

I needed one of these for my type set and was having a time finding one in even half decent condition at a price I could live with. I paid 75 dollars for this one.

Oh yeah....it was listed in Dimes/Liberty Seated.

Earp

Attachments

• ~75S1.JPG
    ~75S1.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 1,029
  • ~75S2.JPG
    ~75S2.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 1,044

Coinkid

Jul 11, 2006
Sarasota, FL
wyatt earp said:
This coin's not been cleaned. I submitted it through a prominent coin shop who would have advised me not to bother submitting it had that been the case, and his opinion was that it was a completely original coin, worthy of the trip to Florida. While I can see what would make a person think that it had been cleaned....it's just the incandescent lighting imparting that impression.

I'll post pics of the slab when it gets back....just a few more days I would imagine.

Earp

Good luck, I hope you're right! If so, I expect to see it in an NGC AU-53 holder. :thumbsup:

-Paul

OP
OP
W

wyatt earp

May 13, 2009
I should have it back very soon and will let you know what it came back as. It's been gone for awhile (express service)....and if it was going to be body bagged....I would have known by now. I think if the truth were known, it's already back from NGC, and the dealer's shopping it around a bit. I didn't suggest that it was for sale, but didn't suggest that it wouldn't be either.

Earp

lazooro

Sep 27, 2008
Sezana
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, TESORO TEJON
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bocephus said:
afraid to buy on ebay because of counterfiters

if seller sell you a coin as genuine and you get copy, ebay policy is that you get your money back because when you put an auction it clearly says and reminds you : are you sure that your coin is genuine tralala..and so one..
you open a dispute or contact seller before.

but sometimes ebay is so lazy that they guess and they don't concentrate to the problem.. recently i lose 100$ like this..seller sold like it was original with right weight and all that stuff.. i received fake one not silver and overweight.. opened dispute..they closed it like nothing happened..sure i don't have $$$ to waste...
they have policy but not strictly in right use..what a shame!

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
LaZoOro said:
bocephus said:

if seller sell you a coin as genuine and you get copy, ebay policy is that you get your money back because when you put an auction it clearly says and reminds you : are you sure that your coin is genuine tralala..and so one..

but sometimes ebay is so lazy that they guess and they don't concentrate to the problem.. recently i lose 100$ like this..seller sold like it was original with right weight and all that stuff.. i received fake one not silver and overweight.. opened dispute..they closed it like nothing happened..sure i don't have $$$ to waste...

Thats why I only buy Civil War tokens off Ebay now.

theloadroom

Oct 17, 2006
SW Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Sunray X-1 probe
Counterfits? I found this smokin deal!
http://cgi.ebay.com/OLD-COINS-FOUND...mQQptZCoins_US_Individual?hash=item45ef206160

LaZoOro said:
bocephus said:

OP
OP
W

wyatt earp

May 13, 2009
Re: Best coin I ever nabbed on eBay...is on it's way back...update

The coin has been returned to my dealer, in a normal (not details graded) NGC holder, graded AU58. I should have it back in my hands by the middle of next week and will post a pic of the slab.

:laughing9: :headbang: :hello2:

Earp

72cheyenne

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
Mansfield, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, White's M6, White's 6000di/pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wyatt earp said:
The coin has been returned to my dealer, in a normal (not details graded) NGC holder, graded AU58. I should have it back in my hands by the middle of next week and will post a pic of the slab.

Earp

:o :o :o That's awesome. Not bad for a couple of hundred dollar investment. $6000+ coin now. :thumbsup:

goldeagle

Jun 28, 2009
THE EAST COAST
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,EXCAL-II
very nice find,but thats a gamle or a crap shoot to me,i have seen to many people and i am one of them getting ripped off by chinese counterfits they are flooding the country and until we stand togther and tell ebay i wont buy from ebay until they stop selling chinese fakes i wont be back till then,and the US gov. has to send a message also,you cant sell counterfit clothes or music in the us but coins? great buy,congrats.

Coinkid

Jul 11, 2006
Sarasota, FL
Re: Best coin I ever nabbed on eBay...is on it's way back...update

wyatt earp said:

Earp

Congratulations! I guess this just shows you shouldn't try to grade a coin without seeing it in hand!

-Paul

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread