TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm curious to know how many guys on this forum have actually dug one of these.
(A flying Eagle Cent, NOT THE 1856)

Also I saw an add in a paper yesterday that some company was willing to pay $20,000 for a
"BRAND NEW 1856 FLYING EAGLE CENT"

But this seems quite ridiculous on its face, as the 1856 never made it into circulation and only a
rare few were ever minted..

According to the mint only 2250 were ever made and only 750 made it into Circulation.

Attachments

• 1856_flying_eagle_cent_obv.jpg
    1856_flying_eagle_cent_obv.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 476
  • 1856_flying_eagle_cent_rev.jpg
    1856_flying_eagle_cent_rev.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 479

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

one in the '80's with my Old Whites
too worn to date.(so I'm guessing 1856 :tongue3: )
& a 1858 with my Sovereign last year

S

stefen

Not sure this statement is correct "that some company was willing to pay $20,000 for a

The 1856 Flying Eagle cent can be found as 'Brand New', however they are forgeries...

There are, however, numerous uncirculated and graded 1856 FFE's for sale that exceed $20K...

I have approximately 30+ FFE's and would gladly add an 1856 F or VF, assuming of course, that I have a spare $10K+in my mad money fund...

OP
OP
TORRERO

TORRERO

Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stefen said:
Not sure this statement is correct "that some company was willing to pay $20,000 for a

I was only quoting what the add in the paper said....

and I am also trying to figure out if you actually have 30+ 1856 Flying Eagle Cents in FFE condition?

If so can you give me your address......
I would love to see them.... :laughing9:

S

stefen

TORRERO said:
stefen said:

I was only quoting what the add in the paper said....

and I am also trying to figure out if you actually have 30+ 1856 Flying Eagle Cents in FFE condition?

If so can you give me your address......
I would love to see them.... :laughing9:

Please reread what I stated...I said I have about 30 Flying eagles and would gladly add an 1856 F or VF, assuming of course, that I have a spare $10K+in my mad money fund...

Obviously, mine are 1857 and 1858 SL & LL and range in quality...most Fine to very fine

OP
OP
TORRERO

TORRERO

Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The truth is I have dug 3-4 I say this because I can remember where 3 of them came from,
but not the 4th...
All of them came from around Charleston SC.
One from Folly Island, One from Daniel Island outside of Charleston, and one from a park in Charleston.

But I think I have a 4th one, but can't remember where...

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I have only dug one, one year ago, almost to the day. It was 8.5" deep and actually read into the negative numbers, and then occasionally bouncing up to around 33 VDI on my White's DFX. (Make sure you are accepting into the negative numbers, people!)
The coin will show up as a pull tab on your detector, so if you are not digging the pull tabs you are not going to dig one of these, or an early Indian Head. "Coin Mode" will miss this coin as well on most detectors.

Interestingly enough (or not!) this coin was found just off the Wharton Tract. Joseph Wharton "lobbied" for the production of the Eagle Cent since he owned all of the nickel mines in PA.

Picture_006.jpg
Picture_005.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread