French Coin Found in Texas

stevecrocker

Nov 6, 2009
Sulphur Springs,Texas
I found this coin on property that my inlaws own in east Texas.Its French but we have no idea how it wound up here.Anyway,as you can see the condition isn't very good but it was a thrill to find. And I use a Bounty Hunter Sharpshooter with the 10" coil in all metal mode.You would be amazed at how much stuff ya miss when you use the discriminator on your metal detectors.I did for years and by accident put the thing in all metal on a hunt one day and found more "stuff" than I ever had before.Yeah,there was some junk too but it is still alot more fun finding anything than nothing(in my opinion).
Should anybody out there know anything about this coin let me hear from you....Thanks

Attachments

• DSCF1519.JPG
    DSCF1519.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 571
  • DSCF1520.JPG
    DSCF1520.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 590

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am no expert in coins, but I just bought my first detector (Lone Star Bountyhunter). I think I will use your advice on the setting and avoid the discriminator. What do you put the sensitivity on?

Thanks for any reply. And, by the way, my parents live in Yantis.

apush :icon_sunny:

OP
OP
stevecrocker

stevecrocker

Nov 6, 2009
Sulphur Springs,Texas
apush said:
I am no expert in coins, but I just bought my first detector (Lone Star Bountyhunter). I think I will use your advice on the setting and avoid the discriminator. What do you put the sensitivity on?

Thanks for any reply. And, by the way, my parents live in Yantis.

apush :icon_sunny:
I always set the sensitivity to high.My model you have to hit the ground balance button every few minutes but I find alot of trash but also the good stuff.

WishfulThinker

Jan 10, 2009
Houston, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:coffee2:
Sketches Of Early Texas And Louisiana -- Texas History Paperbacks TH-13 University Of Texas Press -- Texas State Historical Association ISBN 0-292-70102-0
Frederic Gaillardet (Translated with an Introductin and notes by James L. Shepherd,III)

French Memories of Texas Champ d'Asile (essentially Liberty, Texas on Trinity River)

P120
In 1815 the events before and after the date of March 20 (1815 Napoleon entered Paris upon his return from Elba -- beginning date of the Hundred Days) had thrown the Imperial Army into confusion and disunity.
Numbers of officers and soldiers, their reputations ruined by their support of the defeated cause, foresaw a bleak future stretching before them. Their worst forebodings were soon realized by the order of proscription: on July 24 they were declared forever banished from their native soil. Thus hit by a law from which there was no apppeal, the banished men determined to unite abroad and seek a common refuge in their comon misfortune. Thus was born the idea of the famous Champ d'Asile (literally, Field of Asylum).....
Texas was chosen as the new home ....

Just for info.

pattiewhack

Apr 4, 2008
Vancouver
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Though the coin dates from 1861, it has a large amount of wear, thus leading me to believe it was probably lost much later on.

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
:icon_thumright: Nice find! Keep up the hunt and the way you do it. I love hunting after hunters go thru an area with the discrimination turned up! HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread