Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I found this on Nov. 30. I forgot to mention in my original post that the coin has a clipped planchett at 6:00.

I know these are minor errors on US coins, but what about on Colonials? Does this have a positive or negative impact on the value?

PB290030a.JPG

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The way it is on that coin probably neither and likely the same for any counterfeit whether it's a $10 coin or $10,000. I think it's just too small a factor for a counterfeit to really matter. Don has a rare one with the date cut off, that may be different but there's probably no way to really know unless it goes to auction. Even then you'd never know if it being clipped mattered because the same coin can sell for different prices depending on circumstances. But a common George copper that's clipped means very little, that is for sure.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree with IP, most likely not add or subtract to value. Now on this one it could go either way since it is only one of four known, I think in this case it might subtract, but you never know, depends on what a collector is looking for.

Don

Attachments

• Batty3826BDon2.jpg
    Batty3826BDon2.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 215

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don in SJ said:
Agree with IP, most likely not add or subtract to value. Now on this one it could go either way since it is only one of four known, I think in this case it might subtract, but you never know, depends on what a collector is looking for.

Don

hahha you must as been getting that post ready as I was revising (adding to) mine above.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL, at least we were thinking identical and at the same time!

Don

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
You two must have been separated at birth!

Iron Patch said:
The way it is on that coin probably neither and likely the same for any counterfeit whether it's a $10 coin or $10,000. I think it's just too small a factor for a counterfeit to really matter. Don has a rare one with the date cut off, that may be different but there's probably no way to really know unless it goes to auction. Even then you'd never know if it being clipped mattered because the same coin can sell for different prices depending on circumstances. But a common George copper that's clipped means very little, that is for sure.

Well it still means a lot to me!

Have a great holiday!
Neil

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neil in West Jersey said:
You two must have been separated at birth!

Iron Patch said:

Well it still means a lot to me!

Have a great holiday!
Neil

Would to me too. I like the old Georgies a lot, and wish I could find more!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread