O Money Bags

blindpig

Sep 29, 2007
So. Cali
Detector(s) used
Well,.Sometimes ?
O' Money Bag's

Hi all ,.. Don’t know where this post really belong’s ?? But I figured , this O’ bank issued coin / currency bag may spark the interest of some coin collectors , and might be somewhat of a related collectible itself ,...I would like to know ??
DSC03402.jpgrs640x480.jpg

Now , I assume this bag dates post 1933 as it reads Federal Deposit Insurance , and I suppose it could have easily been used through the fifty’s ? The key to its age may lay with in the fine print , that I’m sure you can’t read in the pic,.. But reads ; Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation *Member* ; 5,000 Maximum Insurance for each Depositor .
Anyway up till today I’ve been using it to hold my scrap silver that I’ve found , If I hear back from anyone that it’s a rare thing , I’ll stop using it as my O’ silver poke .
DSC03396.jpgcroprs.jpg

DSC03405.jpgcroprs320x240.jpg

Yet ,.. Another O’ money bag , ;Cira late 60's early 70's ,. Now this one , I remember as a kid , as Grandpa would take me with him up to the Stock Yards in Sioux Falls , believed they paid cash back then ?? Anyway , near the yard’s we would stop off for a pop ,.. And Grandpa would invest in some pony’s , but I never saw any pony’s on the farm?? Good memory’s , .. ;D ...so I was happy when I found this bag in with a bunch of silver coin I brought back out here to Cali to scrap . Funny thing is , I called around up there in Sioux falls , couldn’t find anyone willing to pay more then 1 Âœ X face .... :dontknow:... My coin dealer out here at the time payed me 4X face .A few times I carried over $500 face in coin ,through the metal detectors at the airports , this was pre 9-11 , don’t believe you could do this today ?? I flipped through it all , didn’t find much , kept all the dollars [the buy was 10-11 ? Ea.] a few nicer Franklin half’s , but for the most part the stuff was well worn , .. The tooth fairy has made good use of part of my cut of ths stash ...

DSC03406.jpgrs272x240.jpg

O.K. One last pic , this Standing Lib. Shows some cracks from ether a hard strike or hard planchet ,..?? I think it’s from the mint ,.. Cracks go though the coin , tis’ nothing more then a scraper , but it was odd . I was a bit surprised at the percentage of type I Standing Liberty Q’s , all dateless ,. Mind you, but I kept ‘em , maybe good cheap reverse filler’s ?? Ohh,. I believe this small horde was pulled from circulation late fifty’s /early sixty’s ??

Well ,... Looks as if I got off point somewhere with this post ... But I would like to hear from ya , if you have any insight on the older money bag . Thanks ,..Blindpig

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
đŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: O' Money Bag's

I like the bag best when filled with tooth fairy silver :thumbsup:

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yep, you are correct on the date. The FDIC was established by FDR'S congress in June of 33' under the Glass-Steagall Banking Act. Really cool bag!
apush (advanced placement United States history) :read2:

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

very nice collectible. I'd keep it as a poke.

You can carry coins thru the tsa screening. been there done it. just let them know and they'll either pull you aside or wave ya thru.

OP
OP
blindpig

blindpig

Sep 29, 2007
So. Cali
Detector(s) used
Well,.Sometimes ?

Thank’s all ,...
Davest , ... good to know about the TSA screening , I suppose they do see some odd things on a daily bases ,... and 50 lb’s of coin’s all in a days work ??
I thought ,I might be right about the age ,..nice to get a bit of “a push” in the right direction with the history of this lit’ bag . So.... confirmed , post ‘33,.. and it is a cool lit’ bag ,that should be used as a silver poke for a few more years anyway ,... don’t worry TnMnt’s , that O’ tooth fairy knows where to find it .... :wink:
Thank’s again ,... Joel

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'd say that the key to dating the bag would be the amount of the FDIC's insurance (i.e. $5,000/depositor). Note that it refers to the maximum per depositor and not "per account". The amount and coverage of FDIC's insurance has gradually increased over time, and finding the window that had $5,000/depositor would be a good way to date the bag.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread