enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure. Would need a better close up. Sometimes the close AMs are touching, sometimes almost. The spacing for the WAMs will be equal to the rest of the letters.
HH
Gilbert

bigwater

Jan 3, 2010
Detector(s) used
White's GMT
Hard to tell from the pictures. Ironically a more reliable way to tell a close AM from a wide AM is by the engraver's initials at the lower right base of the memorial. Compare the distance of the initials from the base of the monument on a pre-1992 cent (guaranteed WAM) to the distance on a post-2000 cent (NOT proof - guaranteed CAM), and you'll clearly see that the WAM cent will have the initials very close to the base of the monument, almost touching, while the CAM cent has them spaced much further away. Once you see that difference compare your 2000 in that respect and it'll be pretty easy to decide right away if it's a WAM. If you've actually got a 2000 wide AM, congratulations. It's quite a collectible.

I've got two 1998 wide AM's myself, and the thrill of finding them was more than the value of the coins themselves. I'm still waiting to get this suspicious 92 cent professionally evaluated... but by everything in my book it screams close AM, and if so I'm afraid I'll drop dead when they tell me it's true. Of course I'll probably drop dead if they tell me it's just a penny too... so I'm just going to sit on it for a while. Maybe I'll leave it to one of the grandkids in my will and let them deal with the angst :)

bigwater

Jan 3, 2010
Detector(s) used
White's GMT
Lol... you've probably set a train of thought in the kids mind that will take over his future. All it takes is a nudge for coin/bill collecting to start becoming an obsession. Congratulations... you've just screwed your grandkid up for life ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread