Silver 2002 Louisiana quarter?

chargerRT

Greenie
Feb 26, 2009
Checking my change in my pocket today and the reeds of one of my colors was solid silver, so I look figuring I would see a 64 and prior but to my surprise was a 2002 Louisiana quarter!? I checked the mintmark and it is not a S mintmark but a P. I do not have a scale to weigh it but I'm going to go to my coin shop and see if they know anything about it on Tuesday, any ideas or experience with these would be greatly appreciated!
Carpe Diem!

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you post any pics? Can you weigh the coin?

Copper-Nickel would weigh 5.67 grams.
Silver would weigh 6.25 grams.

Most likely a plated coin or one that the copper core is not showing on the edge as the only the S mint should have been minted in silver. BUT, in the unlikely event that it is actually silver (and extremely rare or unique) treat it as if it is treasure. Don't do a drop test for the "silver tone" and don't test for silver with any chemicals that may damage it. If you or your coin dealer don't have a precision scale go to a jeweler and ask if they can weigh it for you.

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a New Hampshire-P exactly the same.
I was thinking it might have missed the copper in the cladding process...

Scott

OP
OP
C

chargerRT

Greenie
Feb 26, 2009
I havn't got around to weighing it yet but I am thinking that it has just been plated

BillW212

Feb 6, 2013
Coatesville, PA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also found one of these today. 2002 Louisiana State Quarter, clearly has a 'P' mintmark. It is very shiny, like a proof. The edges appear solid silver - no copper showing around the edge.

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Scott--only the cents are clad. The dimes, quarters, and halfs have the planchets punched from sheets of a sandwich material. That's why you can see the copper center layer when you look at the edge.
John in the Great 208

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread