1889 Morgan, help with cleaning?

Jess

Mar 29, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Hello everyone, I am new to metal detecting, I just bought my detector last Tuesday, and I'm addicted, lol. I found this Morgan Silver dollar yesterday morning at the beach, and was wondering if anyone has any advise or suggestions on cleaning it or how to clean it? You can sort of see on the reverse side of the coin that there is also that black sand embedded in the coin.
Thanks for taking a look! :)

Attachments

• Obverse Morgan - as found.jpg
    Obverse Morgan - as found.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 361
  • Reverse Morgan - as found.jpg
    Reverse Morgan - as found.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 348

CoinHELP!

Aug 9, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ouch... salt water damage. I wouldn't mess with it since it's a common date.

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Carry it in your pocket along with other change for a while. That will help clean it up a bit. While it may also wear it down a bit it certainly won't hurt the value.

Electronova

Mar 27, 2010
Edinboro, Pennsylvania
General rule when it comes to cleaning coins: Don't do it. Cleaned coins are easily recognized and are considered "not collectible." When you have a coin that is chemically altered by something, salt in this case, there isn't much you can do. Still a great find, it's 90% silver.

OP
OP
Jess

Jess

Mar 29, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Cool, thanks guys, I'll probably use it as my card protector in poker :) I'm loving this metal detecting, got a little of a sun burn today, but still have lots to learn about if and when to clean something. appreciate the input!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread