Roosevelt Dime obverse missing clad error?

scrible

Tenderfoot
Feb 21, 2010
Stillwater, OK
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I found this 2001D Roosevelt dime in the register at work tonight. It may be the first major error I've run across. It isn't coated with anything and actually has some very nice blueish purple toning that the scanner didn't pick up. The obverse is the exact same color as the coins edge. The reverse appears normal. I am 90% certain the obverse is missing the plating.

Let me know what you think. I am not an error expert.

:thumbsup:

Attachments

• lamination error 2001D.jpg
    lamination error 2001D.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 995

Letsgethammered

Feb 15, 2010
Its interesting but difficult to say from the photo.Coins turn different colors for different reasons , sometimes its the enviroment its kept in or subjected to and sometimes its human intervention,whether purposely or not.

On youtube for example there are short clips to show you how to turn a 1c into gold, a simple chemical reaction.

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found one almost exactly like that a while back... It was sitting on the grass and the discolored side was facing up... I figured they had just sprayed some chemical on it.. Most of the parks around here have the chemicals go from a tank and thru the irrigation sprinklers..

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe
Yeah, looks good to me! However, I'd have to see it in person to know for sure, but from the pic's it looks like a true mint made missing clad layer error to me!

NICE FIND!

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Weigh it, if missing the clad layer it should be significantly lighter than a normal dime.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread