Partial Clad NY 2001 Quarter

chiil

Greenie
Jul 31, 2010
Denver
Detector(s) used
DFX 300 w/ Sun Ray Probe, TDI SL SE
Hi Everyone,

I recently got into metal detecting and remembered years ago finding a coin in circulation that had a partial clad missing on the state side of the quarter. I remember doing some research online, and not seeing any mention of coins with partial clads missing (only full missing clads). I then gave up and tucked it away in a drawer.

Today I remembered I had it and decided to post the coin here to see if this type of coin is more sought after than a full clad missing coin. From what I read, the full missing clad layer can at times be fakes (someone prying off one side). But this one definitely looks legit. I tried taking a pic from the side.

Any idea on the value of a coin like this? I know it depends a lot... but maybe a ball park figure? Is it worth having it valued?

Gabe

Attachments

• NY-1.jpg
    NY-1.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 368
  • NY-2.jpg
    NY-2.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 329
  • NY-3.jpg
    NY-3.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 310

srcdco

Dec 11, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox-800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You want to get in touch with Ken Potter. He's the authority on mint errors and this really appears to be just that. You can tell by looking at the obverse and noticing that the area of the coin opposite the missing clad layer is not well struck. That indicates that the clad layer was missing at the time of striking.

Ken's webpage is: http://koinpro.tripod.com/

His email is at the bottom of the page. Good luck!

Scott

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions