Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What are ya.....taking soil samples while detecting?? :icon_scratch: I hope you're not some kind of half a$$ed engineer. WELL.....To answer some of this.......My brother in law dug a CFT, 1818, Charles IIII 8 Real at about 16", with a Whites Prism IV. Does this help? I hate to bust on people, but sometimes I can't help myself. I really mean no disrespect but, don't OVER- ANALYZE metal detecting.

OP
OP
ToadWhisperer

ToadWhisperer

Greenie
May 26, 2008
Montana
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Whites MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you don't like the question then your welcome to ignore it. Your obviously a low tech sort, which is fine, but please don't insult me because I'm not.

hogge said:
What are ya.....taking soil samples while detecting?? :icon_scratch: I hope you're not some kind of half a$$ed engineer. WELL.....To answer some of this.......My brother in law dug a CFT, 1818, Charles IIII 8 Real at about 16", with a Whites Prism IV. Does this help? I hate to bust on people, but sometimes I can't help myself. I really mean no disrespect but, don't OVER- ANALYZE metal detecting.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome To treasurenet ToadWhisperer.

Very tuff question to answer.

Unfortunately I Rarely Measure My depth

& Ground mineralization is never in my thoughts :(

Anything I Post would be a Guess
which could be way off.

I did pull a Silver dime out today
in Beautifull soft Ground at 8"
It was just bairly there on tone.

But I'M almost sure I Have had dimes hit louder
at that Depth in the past.

Good Luck :thumbsup:

OP
OP
ToadWhisperer

ToadWhisperer

Greenie
May 26, 2008
Montana
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Whites MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Jeff, I'm trying to decide on my next detector but unfortunately mineralization can be a real issue in the old mining camps and homesteads around here in Montana.

jeff of pa said:
Welcome To treasurenet ToadWhisperer.

Very tuff question to answer.

Unfortunately I Rarely Measure My depth

& Ground mineralization is never in my thoughts :(

Anything I Post would be a Guess
which could be way off.

I did pull a Silver dime out today
in Beautifull soft Ground at 8"
It was just bairly there on tone.

But I'M almost sure I Have had dimes hit louder
at that Depth in the past.

Good Luck :thumbsup:

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Toad, I see your delema and will try to answer the best I can. I hunt mostly colonial sites in Ma. and really don't have a big mineralization issue here, so I can "up" my sensativity to gain depth. I pick up more iron but gain in picking up deeper targets. The higher end detectors, with ground balance and hundreds of different settings, are too complicated for the common detectorist to figure out. I try to keep it as simple as possible. This enables you to dig more targets, while thinking less, of trying to figure out what is below the surface. In your case, trying to find a happy medium CAN be an issue. Then again, it all depends on what you are looking for. Sometimes my "brand of humor", doesn't sit well with the poster, and I apologize for that. I think you should do plenty of research before you purchase. Good Luck Hogge

dwayne sueno

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
se pro
Primary Interest:
Other
TW,

I've dug large cents at just over 10" here in ny (not highly mineralized soil) with both the DFX and SE Pro.
With the DFX I block out VDIs -95 through -40, with everything else open.
I usually use the SE Pro now, and run that in ferrous sounds with no discrimination, except of course the built in tone ID.
I would imagine that this info is not very useful for someone in Montana, though.
Good luck with your research.

Bluegrassriver

Oct 18, 2008
Kentucky near the Ohio River!
Since you like high tech questions (and Hogge does not like them) let's get high tech about the mineralization because your question is not clear. Is high mineralization about 33.6% iron ore or low mineralization about 12.4% iron deposits? ;D

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
F70 5.25" penny; XT70 5" nickel; Bounty Hunters 4" silver dime; XLT 4.5" heavy minerals, 7" better ground; MXT similar.

Had a Whites Coinmaster 4 in 1976, heavy minerals 2" light minerals 7".

Sorry I'm not top expert on this. HH, George (MN)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread