Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Was wondering why my IH Cent book has spaces for 'Bronze' and 'Copper' 1864's
then noticed that my '62 is much thicker than the others I have.
found this wiki info on the series, which answered my own question.
HH & Good Digs !!

The coins struck between 1859 and 1864 contained 88% copper and 12% nickel. During this time, prior to the issuance of the Five-Cent nickel coin, the cent was commonly referred to as a "Nickel" or "Nick," for short. Due to the hoarding of all coinage during the Civil War, the nickel cent disappeared from daily use and were replaced in many Northern cities by private tokens. The success of these copper tokens prompted the change of the cent to a similar metal. In 1864, the alloy changed to Bronze (95% copper and 5% tin and zinc), and the weight of the coins was reduced from 72 grains to 48 grains. (This weight continued for copper-alloy U.S. cents until the 1982 introduction of the current copper-plated zinc cent.

Attachments

• NC FINDS 9-2 014.jpg
    NC FINDS 9-2 014.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 474
  • NC FINDS 9-2 014.jpg
    NC FINDS 9-2 014.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 470

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
I like to call those early IH's thick cents: noticeably heavier. Glad you were able to answer your own question: it'll stay with you longer doing the research yourself. All you need is to find some silver from the same year now, or maybe a little earlier?

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice old Fatty :icon_thumleft: and you can still see a full Liberty in the head band Good dig Dd60

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread