WHEAT PENNY MISSING ONE NUMBER 195-------- more pics

wagbert

Mar 29, 2008
I just saw BaySaintLouis' post and his coin with the missing last digit is a different situation. If you had his coin in hand, you should be able to tell if the digit wasn't struck up because of a filled die, usually dirt or grease. If there are tiny circular scratch-like marks in the area, a common cause of missing or slanted, or damaged last numbers was the old automatic roll wrapping machines the big banks used. One Lincoln cent that pops up on error forms is the "slanted last 1" found on a few 1941 cents. This is abuse after the coin was made inflicted by the old roll wrapping equipment. Then after the coin was in circulation for a several years, the affected area would get smoothed and blended together.
Phil

Tessarose

Aug 13, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
0813171920a.jpg

I would like to know if this person still has his coin because I found the same one

Chriz

Jun 8, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have this also

Is this

Attachments

• 20180608_004327.jpg
    20180608_004327.jpg
    513.6 KB · Views: 128
  • 20180608_004430.jpg
    20180608_004430.jpg
    475.2 KB · Views: 101

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other

Welcome to the Treasure Net forums! I am sorry to tell you but your' coin has been worked by hand. In other words, the edge and rims on the coin were ground down, put back into circulation and due to the lack of a protective rim, the details suffered heavy wear.

In the future, if you have a coin that you believe is an error or variety, it is best to start your own new Thread and post the coin there and especially so, because this Thread is 10 years old.

Frank

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
A possible and most likely explanation would be a tapered planchet. When they were rolling out the metal into the sheet to stamp the planchets out of, part of the roll was too thin. This coin's blank was taken from an uneven or tapered part of the sheet. The uneven blank was stamped, but because part of it was too thin, that part showed little or no detail on both sides. Note the weakness on the reverse opposite the weakness of the front. You can see the cent in this article has the same issue, but more severe.

https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-c...olling-mill-collectors-clearinghouse.all.html

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread