Type Set Collection??

999digger

Aug 31, 2010
Wisconsin
I would like to put a type set together. I have a couple coins to put in it. What grade should I do?(I want the set to match) I have a couple of coins in MS 64, but it is going to be hard and expensive to get all pre 1900 coins in MS 64. (I am 15 years old) Any help would be appreciated. Thank you I also have a 1922 peace dollar. It says CH BU. I know it stands for choice brilliant uncirculated, but what mint state would that be. thank you

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Your best bet would be to find AU 55 graded coins especially in old holders. Grading standards have changed over the years. Consequently, coins that were graded AU 20+ years ago easily pass for MS-62 today. With some key/semi-key date coins, it is worthwhile to crack the slab and resubmit it.

It is odd that you have an MS 64 graded coin. I suspect it is an older grade. Typically, you will see grades jump from MS 63 to MS 65. Without seeing your 1922 Peace, it is difficult to assign a grade.

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I buy slabbed Morgans, I only buy MS63 and above. If they are not slabbed then I try and hit only Ch/BU, which may or may not, hit a MS grade. There are exceptions to this of course, the two key date coins I have bought are in G/VG and VG as
they are pricey even in that category, both stamped "CC".

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It depends on how complete your set will be. If you plan on getting all types of each denomination you will have to accept lower grade coins. For instance some of the early large cents would run you several thousand dollars even in AG condition! I know you want them to match, but I believe I would use the higher grade coins where I could and lower grade where I have to.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
l.cutler said:
It depends on how complete your set will be. If you plan on getting all types of each denomination you will have to accept lower grade coins. For instance some of the early large cents would run you several thousand dollars even in AG condition! I know you want them to match, but I believe I would use the higher grade coins where I could and lower grade where I have to.

I agree with l.cutler. You should have no problem with high grade coins going back to the end of the 1800's. Going from the mid to end of the 1800's I think that most collectors, due to economic reasons, will be forced to drop down a few grades, say from MS to AU. From about the 1810's to mid 1800's you will most likely see more of a drop in grade due to cost and then another drop to get those earliest coins.

I usually suggest to folks that want to build a collection to simply buy the best grade they can afford at the time and they can always trade up. On top of the physical collection you can build a virtual collection. Images of some of the rarest and highest graded coins are available on the web. Viewing the photos is not very different from looking at a slabbed coin, in my eyes anyway.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread