Key date wheat penny

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you post a pic?

The S would be the only way to ID the coin. Sounds like the value is now that of a damaged Wheat Cent, a couple cents worth of copper.

The only hope you would have in your situation is that if there was a Mint specific error for that year and I'm not aware of any.

OP
OP
relichunters

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Here is a picture of it. I believe 1922 is missing a mint mark, but don't think 31's are missing any.

Attachments

• wheat.jpg
    wheat.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 610

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't see any evidence of an s having been on your coin. Compare to this pic.

Attachments

• 1931-S Lincoln Cent_obverse_s_cent_obv.jpg
    1931-S Lincoln Cent_obverse_s_cent_obv.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 766

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
Just because a KEYDATE coin is slightly damage DOESN'T MEAN IT'S WORTHLESS! More then likely it would drop a grade or 2 for value.. I.E. Grades au-50 with the damage xf to vf

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
creeper71 said:
Just because a KEYDATE coin is slightly damage DOESN'T MEAN IT'S WORTHLESS! More then likely it would drop a grade or 2 for value.. I.E. Grades au-50 with the damage xf to vf

I agree with your comment but do you see any signs that his coin is a 1931-S rather than a 1931 with no Mint Mark? It looks like a damaged 1931 to me.

Justice70

Oct 18, 2008
michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Whites Prizm iv
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The date on that coin looks funny to me. Look at the example that Diggin the christmas past posted. The bottom part of the 3 is nice and rounded. On the posters pic. the bottom part of the 3 points downward and the one is squiggly instead of straight as in diggins example.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
DigginThe ChristmasPast said:
creeper71 said:

I agree with your comment but do you see any signs that his coin is a 1931-S rather than a 1931 with no Mint Mark? It looks like a damaged 1931 to me.
Sorry I meant in general not just the coin in question... now to answer your question ChristmasPast .. I can say in 100 % confidence that there is NO S on the coin... I had the photo in photo shop an did alot of rearranging of colors an such to see the coin an so no S an the 1 maybe have been a 7 AT ONE POINT...

marinedad

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2009
pisgah forest, n.c.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
minelab e-trac and equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have to agree with rookie about the 3's not looking the same,

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread