Detector(s) used
whites coin shooter and my fav the quick draw 2 bounty hunter

Attachments

• 027.JPG
    027.JPG
    199.6 KB · Views: 1,471

KJW

Dec 8, 2010
If you can make the picture bigger and show both the front and back it would help. With what I have to go on I would say it is a $26 coin. Does it have a small mint mark (D or S) on the reverse under the wreath. I will help you try to determine a variety if you take some bigger pictures of both the obverse and reverse of the coin.

Kris

OP
OP
treasureman1414

treasureman1414

Dec 14, 2010
black hills
Detector(s) used
KJW said:
If you can make the picture bigger and show both the front and back it would help. With what I have to go on I would say it is a $26 coin. Does it have a small mint mark (D or S) on the reverse under the wreath. I will help you try to determine a variety if you take some bigger pictures of both the obverse and reverse of the coin.

Kris
thanks for the help so far here is the back side it dose not have any d or s on the back tho

Attachments

• 028.JPG
    028.JPG
    194 KB · Views: 1,129

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
treasureman1414 said:
KJW said:

Kris
thanks for the help so far here is the back side it dose not have any d or s on the back tho
You sure about that? It looks like there may be a mint mark on there. It would be located above the D and the O in dollar at the 6 o'clock position on the reverse side.

KJW

Dec 8, 2010
I copied your picture and tried to make it bigger but it gets distorted. I outlined the area where the mint mark would be. It does look like there is something there.

Attachments

• imagesCAA3M3X2[1].jpg
    imagesCAA3M3X2[1].jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 1,383

KJW

Dec 8, 2010
I see you have it figured out I have to leave but I will be home later tonight and I will try and help you find a VAM # for this coin. Have a good night and wish me luck at the auction I am going to. Kris

OP
OP
treasureman1414

treasureman1414

Dec 14, 2010
black hills
Detector(s) used
KJW said:
I copied your picture and tried to make it bigger but it gets distorted. I outlined the area where the mint mark would be. It does look like there is something there.
got the coin out and looked closley there is a d mark right between the d and o on dollar. dose it change value depending on the mint mark with the morgan dollars havnt evr done that much reserch on this type of coin.

KJW

Dec 8, 2010
treasureman1414 said:
KJW said:
got the coin out and looked closley there is a d mark right between the d and o on dollar. dose it change value depending on the mint mark with the morgan dollars havnt evr done that much reserch on this type of coin.

This coin is worth around $26 in silver. Silver prices are high right now an ounce of silver is $29.58. The coin should weigh 26.73 grams. A troy ounce weighs 31 grams. Since silver is so high the coin if sold right now should bring around $26 and maybe more depending on the condition. I can not tell much from your photos on the exact condition. It does look like a nice coin though. If you can get some larger images I will try to help you find a VAM # for this coin. That might help bring the value up a little bit.

If you were to figure out a VAM Variety # it is possible it could be a rare one and be worth more than not researching it and selling like it is.

I will note that 1921 had the most Morgan Dollars produced that year so they are not as desirable as any of the earlier dates.

The D mint mark would not make a huge difference in value. The mint mark does make a huge difference on some of the earlier dates. Any Morgan that has a CC (Carson City) is worth alot more than a No mint mark coin (philadelphia) or an O mint mark (New Orleans). I hope this helps explain a little about these to you. If you have any questions please ask.

Here is a link to Vamworld

http://www.vamworld.com/1921-D+VAMs

It will take you directly to the 1921-D Morgan Varieties. You can try to match your coin with one of the vams listed on the page. The Key to VAMMING 1921 Morgans is the Die Cracks & Die Breaks. You have to match your coin up exactly with one of the vams, Both Obverse (Front) and Reverse (Back) have to match the description. Take your time and get familiar with the site. Their are over 100 vams listed for the 1921-D Morgans so it will take a little while to figure it out. The site is full of useful information for Morgan & Peace Silver Dollars. And this will help you decipher the Counterfeit coins being produced in china from the Real Morgan & Peace Silver Dollars.

Here is an example of a RARE VAM from the 1921-D Morgans. it is a VAM 1N There are alot of die cracks on this vam, the most noticeable crack turns into a Die Break above the D in United on the reverse. The link below is to the VAM 1N page so you can see what it looks like.

http://www.vamworld.com/1921-D+VAM-1N

Here are 2 completed ebay auctions for the 1921-D Vam 1N I am using as an example.

The first 1921-D Morgan VAM sold for $33 graded by NGC as an AU53 coin (This is an Almost Uncirculated Coin)

http://cgi.ebay.com/NGC-AU53-1921-D...88?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item27b73802bc

Normally an NGC AU53 graded 1921-D morgan would sell for about the same price so the VAM # did not help this coin much. The reason is there is a population report on the PCGS & ANACS website. It shows how many of each VAM have been graded and what the grades are. If there are alot of circulated ones graded then it means it is not really hard to find in circulated grades so the value decreases.

The Second 1921-D Morgan VAM 1N sold for $306 graded by NGC as an MS64 coin (This is one notch from being GEM uncirculated coin)

http://cgi.ebay.com/1921-D-Unicorn-...09?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item2eb1870065

Normally a MS64 1921-D Morgan would only sell for $100 graded by NGC as MS64 so finding the VAM # for this coin made it worth $200 more. The reason it sold for so much more is because it is a Hard VAM to find in Uncirculated condition. There is probably a low # of them graded as UNC so that drives the price up do to the rarity.

Sorry I rambled a bunch but I hope I am helping you learn a little anyway.

Kris

OP
OP
treasureman1414

treasureman1414

Dec 14, 2010
black hills
Detector(s) used
KJW said:
treasureman1414 said:
KJW said:

This coin is worth around $26 in silver. Silver prices are high right now an ounce of silver is $29.58. The coin should weigh 26.73 grams. A troy ounce weighs 31 grams. Since silver is so high the coin if sold right now should bring around $26 and maybe more depending on the condition. I can not tell much from your photos on the exact condition. It does look like a nice coin though. If you can get some larger images I will try to help you find a VAM # for this coin. That might help bring the value up a little bit.

If you were to figure out a VAM Variety # it is possible it could be a rare one and be worth more than not researching it and selling like it is.

I will note that 1921 had the most Morgan Dollars produced that year so they are not as desirable as any of the earlier dates.

The D mint mark would not make a huge difference in value. The mint mark does make a huge difference on some of the earlier dates. Any Morgan that has a CC (Carson City) is worth alot more than a No mint mark coin (philadelphia) or an O mint mark (New Orleans). I hope this helps explain a little about these to you. If you have any questions please ask.

Here is a link to Vamworld

http://www.vamworld.com/1921-D+VAMs

It will take you directly to the 1921-D Morgan Varieties. You can try to match your coin with one of the vams listed on the page. The Key to VAMMING 1921 Morgans is the Die Cracks & Die Breaks. You have to match your coin up exactly with one of the vams, Both Obverse (Front) and Reverse (Back) have to match the description. Take your time and get familiar with the site. Their are over 100 vams listed for the 1921-D Morgans so it will take a little while to figure it out. The site is full of useful information for Morgan & Peace Silver Dollars. And this will help you decipher the Counterfeit coins being produced in china from the Real Morgan & Peace Silver Dollars.

Here is an example of a RARE VAM from the 1921-D Morgans. it is a VAM 1N There are alot of die cracks on this vam, the most noticeable crack turns into a Die Break above the D in United on the reverse. The link below is to the VAM 1N page so you can see what it looks like.

http://www.vamworld.com/1921-D+VAM-1N

Here are 2 completed ebay auctions for the 1921-D Vam 1N I am using as an example.

The first 1921-D Morgan VAM sold for $33 graded by NGC as an AU53 coin (This is an Almost Uncirculated Coin)

http://cgi.ebay.com/NGC-AU53-1921-D...88?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item27b73802bc

Normally an NGC AU53 graded 1921-D morgan would sell for about the same price so the VAM # did not help this coin much. The reason is there is a population report on the PCGS & ANACS website. It shows how many of each VAM have been graded and what the grades are. If there are alot of circulated ones graded then it means it is not really hard to find in circulated grades so the value decreases.

The Second 1921-D Morgan VAM 1N sold for $306 graded by NGC as an MS64 coin (This is one notch from being GEM uncirculated coin)

http://cgi.ebay.com/1921-D-Unicorn-...09?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item2eb1870065

Normally a MS64 1921-D Morgan would only sell for $100 graded by NGC as MS64 so finding the VAM # for this coin made it worth $200 more. The reason it sold for so much more is because it is a Hard VAM to find in Uncirculated condition. There is probably a low # of them graded as UNC so that drives the price up do to the rarity.

Sorry I rambled a bunch but I hope I am helping you learn a little anyway.

Kris
yes thanks a bunch

jrandy

Jan 13, 2010
San Angelo TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett GPT 1350, Predator
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find ! I have found two in the last year. one was 1896s (wow) Then a 1878 not the best shape but a Morgan. ;D

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They were 90% silver and had .773 ounces pure silver, that you may look up in any coin book. They are worth 22.65 at this time in silver. It is a very easy coin to obtain at a coin shop, but I have to admit that I learned a lot about the vam #s in Kris's reply.
That is a very sweet find though, I have found coins that were sanded smooth on one side or both sides, and a few that looked like they just dropped from your pocket. That one looked like it just fell out.

KJW

Dec 8, 2010
Dave44 said:
They were 90% silver and had .773 ounces pure silver, that you may look up in any coin book. They are worth 22.65 at this time in silver. It is a very easy coin to obtain at a coin shop, but I have to admit that I learned a lot about the vam #s in Kris's reply.
That is a very sweet find though, I have found coins that were sanded smooth on one side or both sides, and a few that looked like they just dropped from your pocket. That one looked like it just fell out.

Yes I did mess up on my reply about the amount of silver in the coins. I forgot they were only 90% silver. Anyway the main point is to research every coin to the max. Find a variety if possible you will be amazed in the values of some of the rare varieties. Most people do not care about them and do not want to take the time to research the coins. I Do on every old coin I get. IF I can not find a variety I usually just hold onto it.

I will admit that the only varieties I have really studied are the VAM Varieties. I need to get more books like the "Early Half Dollar Die Varieties" by: Al OVERTON and "A Guide Book of Flying Eagle and Indian Head Cents" By: Richard SNOW. There are others but like I said I don't even own these books yet and they are crucial to knowing what a coin is actually worth. Cherry Pickers Guide to Rare Die Varieties is ok but there are much better books like the ones I listed above that have all of the known varieties. Cherry Pickers Guide leaves some out and I found it hard to use. Some other people love it.

I feel like redbook and bluebook were designed for coin dealers. If you go by redbook every coin from the same year is priced the same by grade. IF you go by the varieties of the coins produced within a year you could have a very high dollar coin that when looked up in the redbook would not show the correct value. They have started adding some of the more noted varieties to Redbook but not nearly enough.

I am rambling again but I hope I made some sense. Kris

OP
OP
treasureman1414

treasureman1414

Dec 14, 2010
black hills
Detector(s) used
KJW said:
Dave44 said:

Yes I did mess up on my reply about the amount of silver in the coins. I forgot they were only 90% silver. Anyway the main point is to research every coin to the max. Find a variety if possible you will be amazed in the values of some of the rare varieties. Most people do not care about them and do not want to take the time to research the coins. I Do on every old coin I get. IF I can not find a variety I usually just hold onto it.

I will admit that the only varieties I have really studied are the VAM Varieties. I need to get more books like the "Early Half Dollar Die Varieties" by: Al OVERTON and "A Guide Book of Flying Eagle and Indian Head Cents" By: Richard SNOW. There are others but like I said I don't even own these books yet and they are crucial to knowing what a coin is actually worth. Cherry Pickers Guide to Rare Die Varieties is ok but there are much better books like the ones I listed above that have all of the known varieties. Cherry Pickers Guide leaves some out and I found it hard to use. Some other people love it.

I feel like redbook and bluebook were designed for coin dealers. If you go by redbook every coin from the same year is priced the same by grade. IF you go by the varieties of the coins produced within a year you could have a very high dollar coin that when looked up in the redbook would not show the correct value. They have started adding some of the more noted varieties to Redbook but not nearly enough.

I am rambling again but I hope I made some sense. Kris
lol thanks for the info

OP
OP
treasureman1414

treasureman1414

Dec 14, 2010
black hills
Detector(s) used
treasureman1414 said:
diggummup said:
treasureman1414 said:
KJW said:

Kris
You sure about that? It looks like there may be a mint mark on there. It would be located above the D and the O in dollar at the 6 o'clock position on the reverse side.
i appoligize i was looking on the top of the reath by the eagles head yes there is a faint d
i feal like a idot right now i puled out the wrong 1 when i looked and also took the photos of the wrong 1 herere is the right 1 wow i rely feal dumb
sory(it was my 1st post)
there is also no d on the right 1 that is now posted

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Darn it, it looks like every time Kris posts something I am gonna have to learn something :notworthy: you da man

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
treasureman1414 said:
treasureman1414 said:
diggummup said:
treasureman1414 said:
KJW said:

Kris
i appoligize i was looking on the top of the reath by the eagles head yes there is a faint d
i feal like a idot right now i puled out the wrong 1 when i looked and also took the photos of the wrong 1 herere is the right 1 wow i rely feal dumb
sory(it was my 1st post)
there is also no d on the right 1 that is now posted
Okay, that explains it. I was getting ready to say that those are not the same coin in the 2 photos.

freddy williams

Oct 9, 2010
Alabama/ Ohio
Detector(s) used
GTI-2500, Whites V3, xplorer XS Cortes & XLT Cibola Tesoro Tiger shark Now using a Xterra 705, Ace 350...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
book value about 20 dollars silver content about 25.oo I think

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread