Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug this 1797 cartwheel penny this summer. It is in pretty good shape for a dug coin ! I did post it in todays finds and one of the responces commented on the error on the front ! I have looked around a bit on the net and could find no other cartwheel error coins ! Even though this is an eviromentally damaged coin I am curious how much this would increase the value of the coin and if I would have to send the coin to an independent grading firm to authenticate it as mint damaged ! Thanks ! MaineRelic !

Attachments

• IMG_1341.JPG
    IMG_1341.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 392
  • IMG_1340.JPG
    IMG_1340.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 333

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see what your talking about. I dont know if it would add any value to it or not. I dont remember you digging that. Its a great coin. In beautiful shape. Iron Patch might be able to give you some info on it. :thumbsup:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My guess is it's early damage and not an error because the striking of the coin is not affected. It's pretty common for these big coins to have edge damage but most of the time it's just random "Edge knocks". It almost seems if someone was hammering on that one edge. Disclaimer: I know very little about error coins! ;D

Even if it is an error it wouldn't do much for one of these. It would have to be a fantastic error to really make a difference.

OP
OP
MaineRelic

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
My guess is it's early damage and not an error because the striking of the coin was not affected. It's pretty common for these big coins to have edge damage but most of the time it's just random "Edge knocks". It almost seems if someone was hammering on that one edge. Disclaimer: I know very little about error coins! ;D

Even if it is an error it wouldn't do much for one of these. It would have to be a fantastic error to really make a difference.
Thanks Iron patch ! Considering what these coins sell for it would have to really boost the value a lot to make sending it away worth While ! In the book it goes ! MaineRelic

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MaineRelic said:
Iron Patch said:
My guess is it's early damage and not an error because the striking of the coin was not affected. It's pretty common for these big coins to have edge damage but most of the time it's just random "Edge knocks". It almost seems if someone was hammering on that one edge. Disclaimer: I know very little about error coins! ;D

Thanks Iron patch ! Considering what these coins sell for it would have to really boost the value a lot to make sending it away worth While ! In the book it goes ! MaineRelic

Yes, it seems the people who are most interested in these want super high grades and not much else, and just a minor error on a dug coin would be of very little interest... not near what it means to you. I know you're safe to put it away but it wouldn't hurt to get other opinions on the error question because my reply is just what makes sense to me and isn't based on experience.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions