Type of Coin?? 1864 Very Tiny....

soupie

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found this today...what type of coin is this...
Thanks Soup

DSC01489.JPG

DSC01497.JPG

DSC01496.JPG

DSC01501.JPG

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think its a counterfeit California Gold Dollar.

I'll see if I can locate a pic of one. Do you have an accurate measurement of the diameter?

Edit to add pics, link etc. :thumbsup:

http://www.calgoldcoin.com/wreaths.htm

"Liberty head with 13 stars around. Cross hatch pattern on coronet
Thin wreath surrounded by stars, with 1 1864 inside

Not really part of the California gold series, this is a counter."

Not sure what a "counter" is supposed to be (counterfeit?). A cool find regardless. :headbang:

Attachments

• Misc8_Rnd1_1864Lib_obv.jpg
    Misc8_Rnd1_1864Lib_obv.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 1,900
  • Misc8_Rnd1_1864Lib_rev.jpg
    Misc8_Rnd1_1864Lib_rev.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 1,844

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Does look like an 1864 $1 gold coin, possibly/probably counterfeit. Gold doesn't tarnish, and I think I can see some pitting on the coin. Still, a very nice find. FYI, many many CA fractional gold coins were copied, even by the US Mint.

OP
OP
S

soupie

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the reply DigginThePast...
I do not have anything here besides a tape measure.....
Just a guess...12-14mm
Smaller than a halfdime or fishscale
Hope that helps.
Soup

OP
OP
S

soupie

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow :o
I intended to hit an area this spring that was known to harbor counterfeiters....looks like I may have found some of there work... :thumbsup:
Thanks for the ID Diggin...
I will just remain here speechless for a few more minutes... :laughing7:
Soup

OP
OP
S

soupie

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So they were actually in circulation from the mint then?

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be really cool if you found a counterfeit at the location it is purported to have been produced. :headbang:

I'd try to contact that Mike Locke at the link I provided. Perhaps he may be able to shed more light on your find which could help with any tie in to your location. :dontknow: I don't really know enough about Cali gold and wouldn't want to set you on a wrong course with assumptions.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Soupie said:

Not from the US Mint. During the California gold rush there was a shortage of small coinage so these "coins/tokens" were issued privately. Acceptance of these coins/tokens was limited and relatively few were made. Federal law was put into place in the 1860's to make it illegal to continue making these but by back dating fresh strikes the practice continued for a couple decades.

There were also a ton of counterfeits/forgeries but I'm not aware of the US Mint ever copying any.

OP
OP
S

soupie

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The site I am aware of that harboured counterfiters Diggin is within 2 miles of where this was located,it is documented in the local history books.....not many folks would verture down by the river...here is a bit of the history I have read on this...there is more,but I cant show it all :tongue3:

It was a safe haven for thieves, murderers, counterfeiters and moonshiners. The area got its name from the dense swampy woodlands, the thick timber, the criminal element and from the lack of lights at night. The area was difficult to build in and construction of roads and highways was literally impossible because of the terrain. Most of the area was not surveyed until after Illinois became a state on December 3, 1818. Those surveys were not completed until 1839 and none of the land sold until the 1840's. Before the land was sold, squatters were the only people who lived in the area. Most of them were criminals who used the rough terrain as a hideout and who developed a close mutual protection fraternity. In other words, they protected their own in thwarting the arrest and conviction of its members. Lawmen tended to stay away from the area and its inhabitants.

Thanks Again
Soup

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
DigginThePast said:
Soupie said:

Not from the US Mint. During the California gold rush there was a shortage of small coinage so these "coins/tokens" were issued privately. Acceptance of these coins/tokens was limited and relatively few were made. Federal law was put into place in the 1860's to make it illegal to continue making these but by back dating fresh strikes the practice continued for a couple decades.

There were also a ton of counterfeits/forgeries but I'm not aware of the US Mint ever copying any.
Even I am not aware if the Mint ever produced them. But the San Francisco Mint in the 1980's had sets of replicas available as souveniers when I visited there.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are very welcome Soupie. :icon_thumright:

Sounds like you have a really cool site there, hope you have great finds. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
S

soupie

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the replies Tuberale...
I am sure it is period to the site from the corrosion it shows,only coins to surface at this site were all in the 1850-60's
Save one,a silver french coin,and it has yet to be dated...Louis Phillipe I
Thanks again.
Soup

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find Scott. Keep me posted if you find out any more info on it. That is a cool find. :icon_thumright:

lazooro

Sep 27, 2008
Sezana
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, TESORO TEJON
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mainer said:
Nice find Scott. Keep me posted if you find out any more info on it. That is a cool find. :icon_thumright:

really cool find!!! contemporary copy coin...nice!

OP
OP
S

soupie

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Jesse,
Sent an Email off to Mike Locke @ calgoldcoins. and this was his reply...

Scott,

Thanks for writing. What an interesting find! That is a moderately common
"counter"--a gaming token. Presumably it was used like a gambling chip.

It was probably made in England, but I don't know if there is positive
confirmation of that. There is a rare version that has CALIFORNIA across
the top of the reverse.

--
Mike Locke California Gold

Seems "counter" is a term for gaming chip,not counterfeit..so my search for counterfeits continue..
Still a great find,in my top 5 for sure...
Thanks all for your time and effort researching this..
Got to love this hobby :D

Scott

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still a nice find Scott. And still it could have been used as a counterfit in its lifetime. If only that thing could talk. Now go find a real gold dollar. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
S

soupie

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah Jesse,I am still thinking it could have been used as a counterfeit,no way to prove for sure,but it looks so much like the
1849-59 Liberty Head Gold Dollar not much of a stretch to get there...exactly why I enjoy these odd finds some much :wink:
Take Care Up There..
Soup

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread