Help identifying/valuing George Washington inaugural silver commemorative

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey folks. My father just gave me a silver (2 troy ounce) commemorative round/coin. It is from the bicentenial of George Washington's inauguration. It appears to be a common silver round but I don't see a mint name on it. I've looked at the US mint site for info and it doesn't look like it would be one of theirs. It has a 5 digit number on the side of the coin implying that it was a limited minting. It also came in a nice box and plastic holder (no COA included). The box is completely unmarked. He received it as a prize for meeting sales figures way back when (over 20 years ago).

Am I correct in assuming that this is probably worth very little more than melt value? Does anyone know what company would have minted it and how rare it might be?

Thanks!

Attachments

• img1.jpg
    img1.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 477

Rooter

Apr 14, 2009
Central Florida mountains
Hi, It looks very nicely done. I don't know which private mint made it but I would think that your assumption that it's value is a little more than melt is correct. There are specific collectors of non monitary silver rounds which may boost it's value. I would search Ebay for similar items in completed listings.

OP
OP
mts

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info guys. I've looked on eBay and Googled quite a bit and I don't see anything that resembles it. I'm going to continue with the assumption that it is worth little more than a standard silver round would be unless someone proves otherwise. It is very nicely done though. It reminds me of some of the Australian silvers that I have.

I didn't even notice the little L on the back. Nice catch! ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions